Photo

A few maintanence items (rear curtain, door rubber options and upgraded roof clamps)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:55 AM

Trying to see what people do for a rear door curtain.  I have 2 small rods that hold the top and bottom of the curtain we made but the brackets that hold it rubs against the screen and will soon create a hole.  What do people to do to mount their rear door window curtain?

Also, are there any better ways to keep the rear door open?  I have one of those "rods" with a  rubber bumper on the door.  Rubber lasts about a year and doesn't hold the door open when there is any sign of a wind.

I've heard too that there are upgraded roof hold down clamps?  My camper is a 2001 Eagle with original clamps.

Thanks,

Kevin

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:30 AM

Kevin,

FWC went to a locking door latch last year, so you might try them. The boating industry uses slam latches, which I think are better than the FWC version.

For curtains, Velcro or snaps on a removeable curtain do wonderfully.

I am haunted by waters

#3 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:29 AM

I put the rear door curtain on the inside. Can open and close the curtain without opening the door. Never liked the curtain between the screen door and outside door. Note it is very easy to go in and out the camper with the curtain down

See 1:40 in this video.

#4 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 18 August 2015 - 03:33 AM

I hang a large, lightweight Bali scarf from the three sided aluminum that sticks out of the rear lifter panel on an ATC. I hang it up using two medium binder clips. It hangs down long enough to cover the opening even with the door open and the screen door closed, and allows air to still filter through also. 

The only picture I have is in a blog post about my potty box. Just warning you.

https://sierrashadow...al-revelations/

Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#5 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,060 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:45 PM

Hi, Kevin-

You will probably want to read post 6 of the thread below regarding broken latch screws before deciding whether to proceed with the roof latch replacement.  I can't comment on a new design other than to say the ones I see on the Four Wheel website photos sure look familiar!

Post 6 of the thread below is Stan@FourWheel noting the issues with those particular screws breaking and what to do if you have no choice but to proceed....

http://www.wanderthe...crews-breaking/

The post is an older one (2011) but I happened to talk to Stan this past weekend at the Mid-Atlantic Overland Festival about this issue.  I understood his advice continues to be don't try to remove the roof-bracket screws if you don't have to.  If you DO have to replace a latch, be ready to deal with broken-off screws. And compared to the jack-bracket screws, likelihood of removing a broken-off roof-latch screw is low.

Also, the roof-line and siding-trim screws are much less likely to have the breaking-off problem.

I hope I'm not over-doing the broken-screw thing for the latches. It's not a big deal to seal off the broken-off screw and move the latch a bit.  Just thought you might want to consider the possibilities.

-OC

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users