• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 chop480

chop480

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:28 PM

I'm offering for sale my F250 and FWC Grandby as a turn key rig. Although I'm reluctant to sell I believe it's the best decision for me at this time. I recently retired and moved to my off-grid home in northern AZ where I'd like to become as self sufficient as I can. In doing so I won't have the time to travel away from the homestead for the foreseeable future. Hence the reason for the sale.

The truck is as clean as any early 90's vintage truck can be. It looks and performs as new. See the build sheet below for equipment and options. Briefly it is an F250 extended cab, 4X4, auto trans, 7.3L diesel.

I just returned from a 3600 mile, 3 week trip through AZ, NM, TX, and LA. The rig performed flawlessly. Of special note is the truck AC worked perfectly all across the southern border. Most days were in the mid 90's away from the mountains.

The rig averaged around 13 MPG fully loaded, with the AC on 90% of the time, with 20% of the trip on mountain grades in AZ & NM and quite a few strong headwinds in places.

The truck has 136,000 miles on it and the 7.3 will run quite a lot longer with proper maintenance. I have full maintenance records for the truck from leaving the dealer lot brand new. The original owner was religious about record keeping, maintenance, and appearance. The DCA4 coolant additive has always been kept up with. The early 7.3's were susceptible to cylinder cavitation issues on high mileage vehicles if the DCA4  additive was not maintained. This truck has always been under a strict coolant additive schedule.

The truck is stock except for the following:

The original owner added an ATS turbo to the engine shortly after purchasing the vehicle. I have the receipt for the work done and all the ATS paperwork that accompanied the installation. The price in 1994 for the installation was $2580 according to the paperwork. Nice addition; the truck loves the mountains.

I replaced the glow plugs with the correct Ford part number.

I replaced the fuel injectors at the same time. Just as a FYI a set of early 90's 7.3L diesel injectors run about the same price as a single later 7.3L super duty diesel injector. I have a 2000 F350 7.3L diesel in my driveway and will rue the day I have to change injectors on it. 

Replaced the stock shocks with Bilsteins all around.

Replaced the aftermarket wheels the original owner installed with Alcoa AL wheels. Tires are BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A's LT265/75R16 E-rated. Tires have about 6000 miles on them.

Added heavy duty mud flaps at all 4 corners.

Added seat covers on the front buckets to protect the like-new cloth seats. I've never seen the interior of a truck this age in such excellent condition. The original owner was very serious about this truck. 

Added air bags on the rear suspension. When I added the camper there was no noticeable sag on the rear springs so I was satisfied with the ride height however like most campers the weight is biased to one side (generally the kitchen side) so I installed the air bags to level side to side. The bags are independently filled.

The original owner replaced the stock rear bumper with a custom made steel bumper. The steel bumper was stout to say the least. I replaced the custom bumper with an aftermarket Ford style rear painted bumper to save weight. The buyer is welcome to the custom bumper if they so desire. It is heavy!

The camper is outfitted as listed in the build sheet below. Not much to go over as most here are very familiar with the FWC Grandby.

The mods I did to the camper are as follows:

Replaced the FWC supplied post table with a Lagun articulating table. Despite the high initial cost of the table it is the single best mod the camper could have. Made a huge difference on interior room and usage.

I added solar panels and battery charger to the camper for extended stay boondocking. Works as expected.

I added two rear exterior roof struts using the info on that mod from this forum. Made a huge difference on lifting the rear of the roof with the weight of the panels added.

Added a USB charging outlet forward of the battery box area user the table.

rsz_img_0306.jpg

rsz_img_2676.jpg

rsz_img_2682.jpg

rsz_img_2683.jpg

I'm at $25,000 for the rig complete. 

I have a lot of extra fluids that will go with the truck including oil, injector cleaning additive, DCA4 coolant additive and test strips, and coolant.

The pics above are not the best but give an idea of the appearance of the rig. Certainly if you're interested I will provide more and better photos as you request. 

Finally if you're anywhere near the Seligman, AZ area (half way between Kingman and Flagstaff on I-40) the rig should be seen in person. 

I wil be camping in the 4 corners area on the 5th thru 7th next week. Goulding Ranch in UT.

Please PM here for contact info if interested.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by chop480, 30 September 2015 - 06:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users