Photo

So we're going to the Hallmark factory...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:01 PM

In a couple of weeks to look at their products and facilities and I'm making a list of questions to ask..

Anything we should look out for or ask about?? We are going to look at a North/South Everest if that makes any difference.
Thanks!

Edited by smlobx, 14 October 2015 - 07:37 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#2 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:13 PM

(isn't this where someone pops up to say Hallmark caused the fall of human civilization and is the reason that baby's are born naked?)

I think you'll like the factory, clean and well organized.  It's not huge and they are more of a specialty shop so no moving production line spitting out carbon copies.  The Wards are good people and knowledgeable of the industry and how to build a camper to fit the needs of their customers.  I think they do get a little defensive at times and it seems that there are some strong opinions about them and their products.

You've obviously been doing your homework to get to the point of making a visit.  The more of an idea of what you'd like see in a camper and a good understanding of how you will use it the better.  Looking here on WtW at how people have modified their campers is a good place I have found to see real world applications.  It's tough to know what is a worthwhile option until you use/need it.  They will also have a lot of ideas of how to approach different things.  I was a first generation camper buyer, hadn't owned one before (not entirely true, had an NCO 8' Alaskan 30+ years ago, it was used a lot but didn't see it more than a mobile/heavy tent).  I think I did pretty good on mine, so far not wishing I had done anything different or found anything that I should have included (but then ignorance is bliss).

I think this time of year is a good time to get an order in, helps fill some production holes through the winter and, at least for me, they threw in some upgrades (the bamboo cabinetry and a couple other items).  They aren't know to be the least expensive camper on the market, but when you compare what they come with as standard, there really isn't that much of a premium.

As long as you are in the area, it would be a good idea of doing due diligence and visiting the Outfitter factory too.  See another camper in a similar style.  You may find that there's aspects of them that appeal to you more.

Good luck, and share your findings/thoughts.  We all get vicarious enjoyment from other peoples camper experiences.

JR

Attached Thumbnails

• 1R4A3047-15.jpg

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:45 PM

Good luck, and share your findings/thoughts.  We all get vicarious enjoyment from other peoples camper experiences.

X2

It is nice to have choices and to see different approaches to camper building. Yes, please let us know about experience and decisions, we need that vicarious enjoyment. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 17 October 2015 - 04:31 AM

In a couple of weeks to look at their products and facilities and I'm making a list of questions to ask..

Anything we should look out for or ask about?? We are going to look at a North/South Everest if that makes any difference.
Thanks!

They make semi-custom campers so you might want to think about what you want and then ask if they can do it. Go wild. Pick their brains. Different layouts, materials, appliances and accessories are possible. You can check out some designs at the shop. Premium items will cost, of course. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#5 Stitch

Stitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationPeyton, Colorado

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:59 PM

I think this time of year is a good time to get an order in, helps fill some production holes through the winter and, at least for me, they threw in some upgrades (the bamboo cabinetry and a couple other items).  They aren't know to be the least expensive camper on the market, but when you compare what they come with as standard, there really isn't that much of a premium.

JR

attachicon.gif1R4A3047-10.jpg

X2 - I was up there talking to Andy a few weeks ago and he mentioned that they will discount a camper build to keep the employees 'employed'.  Apparently, they get deluged with orders in the spring for some reason... 

BTW, should you go with a Hallmark, I would strongly recommend their new lift system if you intend to put anything on the roof.  I had them replace the old HECO on my camper with their new one and it is sweet.

2004 Hallmark Guanella on a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

#6 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:08 PM

X2 - I was up there talking to Andy a few weeks ago and he mentioned that they will discount a camper build to keep the employees 'employed'. Apparently, they get deluged with orders in the spring for some reason...

BTW, should you go with a Hallmark, I would strongly recommend their new lift system if you intend to put anything on the roof. I had them replace the old HECO on my camper with their new one and it is sweet.

That's good to know as we are going to fly out there on Friday...
I'll report back next week!

Edited by smlobx, 21 October 2015 - 11:09 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

#7 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:12 PM

Well we just came back from a quick trip to Denver for the weekend and to check out Hallmark campers!

We drove up to the Factory on Saturday morning and met with Matt. He was very knowledgable and honest with all the questions we threw at him! In the main showroom there was an Everest that was pretty much stock so we had a good idea of what the basic package included.

We were very impressed with how large the camper felt (we had looked at a FWC Hawk that a friend has) with the additional 1 1/2' . I thought that my wife might want the euro stove and sink but she actually preferred the standard stove as it gives her more room to cook! This unit had the solar package which included the flexible panels. When I questioned him about th issues some were having with their panels he explained how they attach them (not glued to the roof) and the relays were the source of the issues but that has been resolved now (?) and they have not had any issues with them.

My wife asked him what the biggest callback items were and he said in all honesty they were with the gas furnace which is warranted by Atwood so you would have to deal with them. The other item he mentioned is the cassette toilet that had some seal failures but he has solved it by putting in a valve that allows you to reduce the pressure of the water going into the commode.

We went out back into the factory and were able to actually lay in a North/South bed. This is a great option and the additional storage is just what we were looking for! We are definitely going to get it!

In going around the corner we noticed this...
image.jpeg
Yes that's right they are now installing LED light bars to the front of the campers. I asked him how they worked and he said they are wired to the camper battery but operated by a remote control from the truck! Cool.

We really liked the roof system and how it protects the flexible sides when closed. The Everest model (and I think all 8.5' models) now comes standard with three roof vents, one of which has a power vent. I think this will be the one for us...

When we were leaving Matt's Dad suggested we drive up to RMNP if we wanted to do some hiking which is what we did!

Edited by smlobx, 27 October 2015 - 01:35 AM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

#8 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:25 PM

This was a picture we took while hiking.
It had snowed on the peaks the day before so it was spectacular hiking!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

Eddie
KO4CPL

#9 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 06 December 2015 - 07:53 PM

So a couple of weeks ago we placed our order for a 2016 Everest and just finished deciding which fabric to use (we ended up going with a Sunbrella pattern as it should last longer).

We hope to get the rig sometime in April if all goes as planned so the slow waiting period has officially begun...

One question I'm wondering about is if people are putting some sort of bed pad down for the camper to rest on. It seems like it might help with keeping the camper stationary but don't know for sure. We decided to go with the Torguelift Fastguns to hold the rig down.

Any thoughts?

Eddie
KO4CPL

#10 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 06 December 2015 - 07:59 PM

I have a thin rubber pad in the F250. For the new truck, I went down to the feed store and bought a 4' x 8' stall pad. It does help minimize movement.

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users