132 replies to this topic

#121 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:32 PM

It was the same for me.  I started reading it late one night and couldn't put it down until finished.  I've hiked some of the areas in question and it is indeed  some remote terrain.  Sad part is they were only about 4 miles from the Geologist Cabin back in Butte Valley.  Had they simply walked back to the valley they would have had shelter and good water.  Eventually, someone would have come along and their lives would have been saved.

They had the Geologist Cabin's stolen flag in their rental van, which is proof they had been to the cabin, where it is hard to miss Anvil Spring.  This sad story is the result of one clueless decision made after another.   

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#122 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:50 PM

This story is clear proof of the existence of male-pattern hubris.  Even if he'd had a map, he'd kept on driving his rental sedan (that in his mind was insured) past all the warning signs along Saline Valley Road.  Jeez, he was on the road and on the ground, what more did he need?

I have wished that the woman involved would have shared an account from her perspective. Perhaps it would have made good reading? I am also curious about the longevity of their relationship.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#123 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:20 AM

From DV Road conditions page:

"Lippincott Road - A SEDAN is stuck on this road at this time. We are currently assessing the situation. Most likely impassable until the vehicle is removed. Stay tuned."

Wow. Just wow.

As later noted, it was a Subaru as told to me by Miller's employees yesterday. They pulled it out, but no mention of the cost was made & I didn't ask.

We went thru Titus Cyn the day before and there is some bloom happening above Leadville.

Eating lunch in Leadville a 4 door BMW 5 series pulled up. Three German young men. Asked how the drive had been so far, "HORRIBLE!" They were later held up by a Camry in the Narrows. Both let our rigs go by at the first wide enough spot. In the parking lot at the bottom there was a car pulled into a parking space and then on over the berm to park nose-down in the draw. By its trunk lid I think it too was a Camry - couldn't see much else of it. Must be the Silly Season in DV!

Thom

Where does that road go?

#124 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 02:05 AM

As later noted, it was a Subaru as told to me by Miller's employees yesterday. They pulled it out, but no mention of the cost was made & I didn't ask.

<snip>

Photos of the Subaru Forester and location on Lippincott can be found - Here

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#125 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:42 AM

Hearsay alert:

DV has been going through some volatile weather from what I've read.  A dust devil hit Texas Springs CG and flipped a popup trailer and destroyed or blew away a number of tents, including  "A volunteer campground host at nearby Sunset Campground reported seeing a tent traveling eastbound approximately 1,500 feet in the air."   :o   

The dust storm has reportedly been followed by rain.   

Anyone have any first hand reports?

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#126 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:47 PM

I found a Las Vegas Review-Journal article on the strong winds that hit the area on Monday -

Monday Winds

#127 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 02:20 PM

<snip>

Anyone have any first hand reports?

We just returned from eight days in Death Valley National Park, on back roads. There were 3 wind events during our visit, two that put up significant dust plumes in Death Valley proper. The first, our hearts when out to the folks in tents at Emigrant Campground. The second, as we were exiting the Park, everyone with tents at Stovepipe had them flat on the ground weighted down with rocks.

#128 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:42 PM

Last week, we had a dust devil go through Sunset CG and break a window on Joe's (perennial camp host) motorhome, and rip an awning off another person's trailer. It missed us by about 100ish feet. Lots of tents on the ground, some ripped up.

I am haunted by waters

#129 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 02:12 PM

Here is a story about the October floods -

Death Valley's Wettest October On Record

I found the comments on archeology sites and possible time period between this and the last event of this size interesting.

#130 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 05 May 2016 - 02:36 PM

An interesting and realistic take on the events...

Frank (Lambert)was quiet for a moment as an expression of awe fleetingly crossed his face, and then he said: “But all this water didn’t destroy the landscape. It changed it. It only destroyed what we built.”

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users