• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 18 May 2008 - 05:58 AM

This years Baja adventure is complete and I thought I'd post some pics. I'm not a computer guy so I hope this works.
First I want to thank everyone for the taco stand suggestions. I didn't hit them all but the ones I did try were great. I also got my Qualitas insurance through Lewis and Lewis as suggested here. The year policy was less than I paid for 6 months last year. I still need to make some more trips to get the daily cost down.
DobleTraccion I saw your green machine at a palapa just north of San Vicente. By the time I realized what I saw I was down the road. I wasn't going slow but I was enjoying the journey. Sorry I missed you. It would have been good to meet.
The first pic is our standard breakfast stop at Mama Espinosas in El Rosario. Next is a rest stop in the Catavina rock garden. Then the San Ignacio church.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1736.jpg
  • 100_1739.jpg
  • 100B1752.jpg
  • 100_1774.jpg

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#2 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:16 AM

This was home for 3 weeks. Playa Coyote on Bahia Concepcion just south of Mulege. This was the longest I've camped in the camper and it worked great. Had to go into town for water a couple of times but a fresh water shower feels good. Tried to get propane once but the system for getting propane in Mulege had changed since last year and we had to make it last. No more hot showers but the frig kept the food cold. Only needed ice for the cerveza. I wish I could trust the gauge on the propane bottle.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1779.jpg
  • 100_1784.jpg
  • 100_1785.jpg
  • 100_1808.jpg

#3 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:21 AM

Here is a sunrise and sunset over Bahia Concepcion

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1822.jpg
  • 100_1781.jpg

#4 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:38 AM

The first pic is said to be the most photographed tree in Baja. Had to add one more as we were leaving the beach. The next 2 pics are at a shrine looking back at playas Coyote and Burro.
We spent 2 nights at Bay of LA on the way north (last pic) and almost got blown away. I had been through the area a couple of times but this was the first time I'd stayed. Think I'll skip it next time.

One last thing I forgot to mention earlier ..... $2.15 diesel. Wish I had installed that 60 gal tank.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1824.jpg
  • 100_1828.jpg
  • 100_1833.jpg
  • 100_1839.jpg

#5 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for posting the great pics. Baja is looking better and better. I hope to make the trip someday.

Cheers,

Mike

#6 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:20 PM

Great pics. haven't been down there for a long time, wish I could go, maybe when I retire, which will probably never happen.

#7 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:37 PM

Absolutely, positively fanatastic pics. Wow Coyotes as changed since I was there in '93. The stone yurt at Bay of L.A. is one of the great camping spots in Baja. What a great trip.

Everybody start thinking about a San Ignacio Lagoon trip for the whales next year. Pam and I are going with some old Ventura camping friends. Sometime around spring break of '09.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#8 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 18 May 2008 - 04:26 PM

Got up this morning feeling pretty good,then i check out your great Baja pictures and now i feel jealous,left out ,wanting more pictures,more info on your trip (Fishing? Yaks,etc).
Glad to hear Lewis and Lewis is still a great deal(took us 5+ years to find them!)
Glad you had a great and safe trip.
Drive slow and enjoy (sounds like you did) "its the journey"
Les Lqhikers

#9 DobleTraccion

DobleTraccion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:32 PM

Camelracer, that's classic.
You busted me at one of my favorite stops on the carretera:
Doña Lala's ranch store. She sells fresh ranch cheese as well as local queso seco. Dozens of wheels sit on a cooling board, backed with mission dates from San Ignacio and local honey. You can get tastes of everything.
We always stop on the way down for a half-kilo of each.
We grill quesadillas with the fresca, and crumble the seco over just about everything we cook on a trip.
Photo is an older shot of my friend's truck.
Looks like you had a sweet trip, with the luxury of a long span of time.
Maybe we'll meet over a cold one some day.

Attached Thumbnails

• chz.jpg

#10 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:28 AM

Les,
A run out to San Ignacio Lagoon is on my list of things to do. When you're ready put a post on the site and maybe we can get a group together. I usually do my Baja trip in Feb or March when it's cooler but got messed up this year due to Easter being early. April/May was a little warm and too many bugs but the beach was almost empty. More Europeans this time of year = topless viewing.

DT,
That cheese place sounds interesting. I'll have to stop next time. I'm usually in such a hurry to get on the beach that I miss a lot of good stuff in the north. I guess that I really do need to slow down and enjoy the journey.

I need to get the daily insurance cost down so I'm thinking of doing a Pacific coast trip down there this summer or fall. I'm not that familiar with that area but if anyone's interested in a trip let me know.

Dick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users