39 replies to this topic

#31 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,387 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:59 PM

I've never heard of track traps, but that's a great idea.  What do you do, just scrape a line across the road to see if someone's passed?

Just remove all the current tracks by smoothing out the ground. Old farts carry a track broom. I like to know if someone or a critter has visited while we are gone. Setting track traps is fun while backpacking. Do a perimeter around your camp before bed and check it in the morning. You may be surprised what came by and you didn't hear a sound. What you find shouldn't lead to fear but the fact that for the vast majority of times what's out there only has a passing curiosity about us.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#32 Shadyapex

Shadyapex

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • LocationBishop, CA

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:41 AM

Great write up Ski.
We were down canyon, but the other side of Steele Pass.

Great that you met Sunman in Saline Valley, and later shadyapex too. I've been thinking it would be great if there was a gallery or maybe an avatar (one that it's big enough to see) of our rigs. I often see a popup on the road and wonder if they are part of the cult. Just think of there was a gallery where a quick scroll could help make the ID. Of course it's strictly voluntary. If we have a suggestions thread, I can move this comment.

Ski3pin has his forum handle lettered on the side of his camper so that's how I knew who I would be meeting on the hike that day. I've never thought of doing it but it did lead to a pleasant encounter and conversation on the trail. Maybe a WTW sticker could be made that one could display. Kind of like a secret handshake or something.

"It's not an optical illusion, it just looks like one."

#33 Shadyapex

Shadyapex

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • LocationBishop, CA

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:46 AM

So I guess Catherine and I probably walked right by that little (non) rattler. The silent young ones are kind of scary. Catherine almost stepped on one in a canyon in Utah several years ago, it struck at her but missed. I think she must have jumped about 3 feet in the air.

Thanks for posting the TR. I think another trip up to Steel is in order as it looks like you found some really cool places.

"It's not an optical illusion, it just looks like one."

#34 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,387 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 05:28 AM

The rattler pup was motionless, stretched out in the middle of the trail as we approached, its coloration almost perfect camouflage against the dirt and gravel.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#35 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,033 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:06 AM

Actually we do have WTW stickers. Dirty Dog made the first ones. Not sure if anyone still has any left.

http://www.wanderthe...decal/?hl=decal

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#36 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 05 December 2015 - 05:39 PM

Actually we do have WTW stickers. Dirty Dog made the first ones. Not sure if anyone still has any left.

http://www.wanderthe...decal/?hl=decal

I think the last ones done were by my daughter.  I know she had not made any in some time. Her email is in the video attached below. I also had a few Meadow Lake Rally stickers made that I gave away. 

#37 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 829 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:35 PM

Ski3pin has his forum handle lettered on the side of his camper so that's how I knew who I would be meeting on the hike that day. I've never thought of doing it but it did lead to a pleasant encounter and conversation on the trail. Maybe a WTW sticker could be made that one could display. Kind of like a secret handshake or something.

Something like this?

Attached Thumbnails

• TuffGuy62.JPG

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#38 steelhead

steelhead

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • LocationNW Oregon

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:56 PM

Thanks Ski for another fantastic report. The quality of your work and the frequency of your trips with The Lady are inspiring. 

#39 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,387 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:36 AM

steelhead, thank you for your very nice comments. It is very much appreciated!

#40 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:31 PM

I have a few stickers left and can make more. But I hate the "weeding" part, where you remove the unnecessary vinyl, so from here on out I reserve the right to send out unweeded with directions. 

Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users