• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#11 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:51 PM

I'd never heard of these, but just ordered the CanCooker Jr.. We shall see.   Ron

#12 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:02 PM

It looks like they have a new one that's smaller than the JR called the companion. 1.5 gal instead of 2 gal. I think I'm going to order 1 of those.

Ordered!

Edited by Squatch, 13 April 2017 - 03:46 PM.

#13 RockCod

RockCod

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:32 PM

Thanks for bringing the thread back, I'm in the planning stage of my cookware needs.

2018 FX4 3.5 V6 Supercrew HDPP.        ATC Ocelot . DELIVERED !!! 25April17.  such a fine unit it is !

Rock.....

#14 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:00 PM

I have the Jr - Its fantastic and makes relatively easy and healthy meals. Worth the money IMO.

#15 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:22 PM

We like the GSI 10" hard anodized dutch oven. http://www.gsioutdoo...dutch-oven.html Can find it cheaper from other vendors. Being hard anodized, it has no seasoned surface to maintain. I prefer cast iron, but space & time while camping sold me on this unit.

Very light weight and can be cleaned and left without a coating of grease. Ability to be put away dry, flat bottom that works on cooktop or it can be used on a trivet in campfire coals. Wife uses it for steaming veggies, and food prep. Very versatile. It is our most used cookwear after the frypan. Its one negative is that it is not stable to carry with food & liquid by the wire bail handle. It takes the second hand to stabilize it.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#16 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:18 PM

I just ordered my wife the Can Cooker Jr. for mother's day.  She is such a lucky lady  :D

For anyone on the fence, it looks like they might be phasing these Jr's out for the new Companion model and Amazon has them for under $30 shipped free (for prime).  

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#17 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:42 PM

My Companion came in. Seems very nice. I also found that I had one of those metal steamer things that folds out like flower petals that fits it well. I'm going to try that for some rice and shrimp soon.

#18 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:26 PM

Finally tried the Can Cooker last night. Made steaks on the grill and cooked potatoes and carrots in the Can Cooker. They turned out great in about 30 minutes.

#19 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:15 PM

Did you use a rack in it, or just let them lay on the bottom?  Ron

#20 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:48 PM

We used the rack. Red skins cut in 2 or 3 large pieces on the rack. Little tiny carrots on top after seasoning each layer. Then covered the top with Italian seasoning. A lot of the little carrots fell through the rack but wasn't an issue. Just had to remove one side of the rack to spoon them out.

Coated the pan with Pam 1st. Brought to boil and steam then turned way down to simmer for 30 minutes.

We have a steamer basket similar to this. http://www.target.co...Ug&gclsrc=aw.ds

We tried it this am and it fits the companion perfectly. I want to try that with some brown rice and shrimp!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users