72 replies to this topic

#41 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:07 PM

Search for "brophy receiver hitch step" and find several steps and vendors I got mine at eTrailer but converting it to Bosque Bill's design requires welding skills, a talented friend, or an accommodating welding shop.

The two biggest drawbacks to the Brophy as made are how far it sticks out behind your vehicle and how low the bottom step really is.

Paul 

I thought getting old would take longer.

#42 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:30 PM

Search for "brophy receiver hitch step" and find several steps and vendors I got mine at eTrailer but converting it to Bosque Bill's design requires welding skills, a talented friend, or an accommodating welding shop.

The two biggest drawbacks to the Brophy as made are how far it sticks out behind your vehicle and how low the bottom step really is.

Paul 

The Brophy was so heavy, and now we have a cargo carrier which made packing it a PIA.  It sits in the garage, probably never to be used again.  jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#43 Mickey Bitsko

Mickey Bitsko

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:33 PM

Went to Lowes yesterday for little camper goodies, in the electrical isle I noticed "christie" electrical boxes. Picked one 16'hx18"Lx12"deep, $14.00 figured I could use as storage when traveling and a step when camping. For my Ranger/Eagle combo

it's perfect height , and still pull the boat/atv's.

Edited by Mickey Bitsko, 04 March 2016 - 02:36 PM.

#44 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:56 AM

The Brophy was so heavy, and now we have a cargo carrier which made packing it a PIA.  It sits in the garage, probably never to be used again.  jd

Perhaps you should sell it.  I'm sure somebody would love to have it.  I really like mine.

When I'm pulling my trailer, I mount to the tool box on my trailer so it's not in the way.

#45 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:26 PM

Perhaps you should sell it.  I'm sure somebody would love to have it.  I really like mine.

When I'm pulling my trailer, I mount to the tool box on my trailer so it's not in the way.

Bill,  I bought a rubbermaid 2 step at the end of last year which works great.  I just purchase a RackAttack swing out for my cargo carrier, so the Brophy will just catch dust.  I bet the shipping will cost a pretty penny.  Probably list it in gear and see what happens.  jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#46 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:10 PM

I'm looking at the Brophy 2-step as well.  However my truck has a class V hitch with a 2 1/2" receiver so I'd have to use an adapter.  Does anyone have any experience with adapters?  Do they provide a tight fit?  I'd hate to have the steps wiggle around, especially late at night after a few adult beverages.

Also - someone mentioned that they're heavy.  How much do they weigh?

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#47 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:10 PM

Bill,  I bought a rubbermaid 2 step at the end of last year which works great.

I like mine also, lightweight, inexpensive and you can use it to access the roof latches.
2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#48 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:38 PM

I'm looking at the Brophy 2-step as well.  However my truck has a class V hitch with a 2 1/2" receiver so I'd have to use an adapter.  Does anyone have any experience with adapters?  Do they provide a tight fit?  I'd hate to have the steps wiggle around, especially late at night after a few adult beverages.

Also - someone mentioned that they're heavy.  How much do they weigh?

Mine weighs 17 lbs. It is not a tight fit in my 2" receiver. While the step is very strong & doesn't move far, the outer edge of the step shifts about a half inch or so when stepping from first step to second step as the step rotates a little in the hitch. At first, this is a little disconcerting at night, in the rain, backing out of the camper. I'll add some sand/grit when the step surface needs paint.

I found it important to add some reflective red/white tape to the sides of the step so as not to take out my shins when moving around the camper at night just to remind me of the hazard. Also, added some glo in dark to top of step.

Unless I found a better design, I would buy it again.
Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#49 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:41 AM

Mine weighs 17 lbs. It is not a tight fit in my 2" receiver. While the step is very strong & doesn't move far, the outer edge of the step shifts about a half inch or so when stepping from first step to second step as the step rotates a little in the hitch. At first, this is a little disconcerting at night, in the rain, backing out of the camper. I'll add some sand/grit when the step surface needs paint.

I found it important to add some reflective red/white tape to the sides of the step so as not to take out my shins when moving around the camper at night just to remind me of the hazard. Also, added some glo in dark to top of step.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the info.  17lbs is pretty stout, I guess that's good.  The reflective tape it also a great suggestion.  I wonder if one could wrap the shank in duct tape for a tighter fit.  

I'll see if my wife approves and maybe pull the trigger on one of these before the next trip.  

Great first name, BTW...

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#50 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:28 AM

Paul

I agree.  It is a skin killer.  My GF has hit it, but I haven't yet.  I hope not to and I hope she learned her lesson :-)

What I have done to avoid hitting it is installed an LED into the porch light and I keep it on when we are outside at night.  The light itself is enough to illuminate the step and give a sense of awareness.

The original owner had a bright idea but I thought it looked ugly.  You know the foam stuff you use to insulate copper pipe in your home. , he just wrapped that around the out edge.  It worked well.  I would use it if I had children etc.

077578040455lg.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users