25 replies to this topic

#21 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 07 June 2008 - 10:04 PM

Hmmm...I read in my travels that FWC wires their units for solar whether or not you take the option. Oh yeah....this info was on a page comparing FWC to WTC. (without opening any Pandora's box, I do not know who prepared that doc) Another question to ask!

I spoke with a buddy who does solar installs in SOCal and he can get me a 185 panel and matching controller for about the same $$$ as the second package. He said to *go big*..relatively speaking "while you're at it"...and to do something that can easily be added onto if need arises. I suspect that price he quoted me has some "gifting" in it because I've done a few huge favors for him in the past and he's tried to pay me back many times tho I refuse to take the $$.

of course..if the wiring is in question/isn't in place unless you buy the FWC package we'll have to make a decision as to which way to go @ that point, but right now I'm leaning toward a do-it-yourself (or should I say "let me buddy do it for me) install.

thanks for the info

mtn-high

#22 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 10:33 PM

Did your buddie offer to raise and lower your roof, did he tell you how much a 185 watt panel weighs? Thats a question you might want to ask.

#23 mtn-high

mtn-high

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:01 AM

No, he didn't offer to lift the top but I know him well enough to know that he'd bring good drugs to kill any pain sustained...so things could certainly be worse. :thumb:

In all seriousness, the panel he was spec'ing weighs 37 pounds for the panel itself...a few more for the brackets/mountings.

(FWIW) Being that I am not going to put any 'Yak tracks/racks on the top of my camper, the solar panel I choose will be the *only* thing being hauled on top. I have no idea what all of those tracks and racks weigh but they are not light themselves and my guess is that a 185w panel by itself cannot weigh much more...*if as much* as the stock 85W panel *and* all of the Yak racks and bike/kayak/bullet carrying appratii' I see many of the "fully-loaded units" running around with.

Not that it matters in the end tho. While my buddy was looking @/comparing the panels he saw that the Kyocera panels FWC uses were more efficient per watt/etc than the panels he spec's originally and in the end after weighing the cost, the install, and the efficiency of the panels he said he'd go with the FWC option and *wait* a few years to upgrade the system ..if needed.

In the end he was impressed and said FWC has obviously done their homework and appears to offer a good value for the $$ on such a system w/install.

thanks for the links/info/concerns.

#24 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 961 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:28 AM

Just a suggestion if you're going to be ordering a new FWC and don't plan on carrying anything on the roof, have them install the solar panel on the back of the roof. Lifting the front, especially with an extended bed, is a pain in the neck. I have the surgical scar to prove it.
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#25 mtn-high

mtn-high

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 08 June 2008 - 05:26 AM

Thanks for the tip on the panel mount, cr.

mtn-high

#26 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:16 PM

Kyle, Show Low reminded me of the worst kind of urban sprawl. Take a pristine area and load it up with lots of homes one right on top of the next.

We went about 50 miles further east toward Springerville. Big lake and the east fork of the Black River were fantastic. Pix to follow.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users