• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:13 PM

Anyone using Diesel Exhaust Fluid in their trucks?

Curious as to everyone's thoughts on the matter.

Pro or Con?

#2 Bigfoot Dave

Bigfoot Dave

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:38 PM

I use DEF in my 2012 and 2015 F350s. They sure get better mileage than my 2006 Chev 3500. Other than having to add it every so often I have had no problems with it. It does hurt my mileage ego when the "cleaning exhaust" light comes on but it is still way better than the 2006 2500. Have a great day! Bigfoot Dave

#3 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:56 PM

I use DEF in my 2012 and 2015 F350s. They sure get better mileage than my 2006 Chev 3500. Other than having to add it every so often I have had no problems with it. It does hurt my mileage ego when the "cleaning exhaust" light comes on but it is still way better than the 2006 2500. Have a great day! Bigfoot Dave

2500 or 3500 .... bias suspect not knowing what you have. If thats just a typo, thanks for the info.

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,612 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:16 PM

Anyone using Diesel Exhaust Fluid in their trucks?

Curious as to everyone's thoughts on the matter.

Pro or Con?

If you want it to run full power, better keep it supplied with def. It's a minor inconvenience, but it is what it is.

I am haunted by waters

#5 jackattack

jackattack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:32 PM

If the emissions system requires DEF, you won't get far without it. They're quiet, clean, efficient and plenty powerful. 

Alaskan 8.5'CO | F250

#6 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 27 January 2016 - 03:09 AM

If anyone was building a SHTF rig, they would be up a creek without it wouldn't they?

Shelf life isn't that impressive. <_<

#7 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 03:51 AM

~1000 miles to the gallon.  Correct it doesn't have a great shelf life, it will start crystallizing after awhile.  Also freezes easy, I understand it's that's more of a problem on the Chevys with where the tank sits (also looks scary for anything remotely off-road) but all have heaters built in.  Not sure about the Dodges (or any of the smaller car based diesels).  I "think" it gets used more when under a heavy load, where the DPF (and associated regen- extra fuel dumped to burn off soot) is more on a light load.

I've "heard" there's ways to make that all go away ;)

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#8 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 27 January 2016 - 04:14 AM

Its my understanding that Dodge met epa requirements and doesn't have DEF.

I also hear that any DEF requiring diesel model truck made after 2011 will not pass inspection if the rig is altered. How true that is I don't know. I would hope that if SHTF, there would be a hack known so those needing to leave a bad situation could get far enough away without needing unavailable DEF.

Something to consider in todays times.

Edited by Bombsight, 27 January 2016 - 04:15 AM.

#9 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 04:34 AM

I believe Dodge had to go to a DEF system in 2013.  The requirements of the EPA just keep getting tougher and it's getting more difficult to have diesels meet all the different emissions requirements that get stricter each year.  DEF is just synthetic Urea and deionized water, it is used to cut NOx levels (higher when running a lean fuel mixture).  Must be pure though so no making your own after recycling a bunch of beer.

Depending on the state/local requirements for inspections where you live, you are correct, an altered vehicle would not pass.  If it came down to the SHTF then any modern vehicle is at risk.  an old cummins or even Ford 7.3l that can run on old tranny fluid would be best.  Painful until that point though

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#10 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:30 AM

I have several diesel vehicles (construction).
IMHO the newer diesels have finally figured out how to meet the epa regs dependably. I have a 2014 Jeep GC Ecodiesel with the 3.0l and it has been very dependable in the 20k miles I have driven it. Jeep (and Dodge Ram Ecodiesel) are designed to go about 10,000 miles between oil changes and def refills so it's not a big deal. My GC has averaged +/- 27 mpg and gets over 30 on long highway runs.

Having said that my expo rig that we are going to put our new Hallmark Everest on is a 2006 F-350 SRW that doesn't have the emission garbage on it. The reason we chose to go this route is that in some areas, like certain areas of Mexico and Central America they don't always have ulsd which is also a requirement of the newer diesels...

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users