65 replies to this topic

#41 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:06 PM

Back to the original question, If I were researching new trucks, for whatever reason, I would include the new Nissan Titan XD with the Cummins diesel

Gizmag review

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#42 Cooter

Cooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:40 PM

Granted no one is really putting much on 0-60 performance in a camper Rig but the 2.8L Diesel is a 10second machine and the f150 5L is a 7-8 second machine. My 2.5L Subaru CVT wagon is a 11second machine, just for comparison. I dont have any complaints about the Subaru it still passes and sprints into 70-80mph CA highwsy traffic just fine. Even when loaded.

And the F150 with a 3.5 eco is a 5.6 second 0-60 machine according to Car and Driver .  Mine with a 1240# FWC Hawk on it with all the gear for a two week trip will do 0-60 in 6.5 seconds timed by me.  I leave the Hawk on full time so no time without.     http://www.caranddriver.com/ford/f-150

#43 mk10108

mk10108

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:07 AM

I have a 2500HD WT Crew Cab 8 foot bed with a Grandby 6.0 gas.  Gets 12-13 mpg driving the speed limit with camper.  Towed 9400 lbs with camper and got 8-9 mpg.  Gets 16-18 mpg driving between 60 and 65 mph without camper.  Added Firestone airbags to help with the 10k tow.

Edited by mk10108, 20 March 2016 - 01:19 AM.

#44 Mickey Bitsko

Mickey Bitsko

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:07 PM

I have a 2000 Ford Ranger 4.0 l auto / 4WC Eagle on full time, 0-60 mph 15 secs [ just a guess ], combined hiway/city 15-16. :D

#45 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 21 March 2016 - 11:30 AM

For a Hawk or Grandby, I would be skeptical buying a 1/2 ton class.  Yes, it is certainly do'able.  But, not without suspension modification.  Just my person opinion and not trying to be argumentative folks.  I will try to explain with the following comments.

One must remember, as previously mentioned, don't get stuck on the camper manufacturer's placarded weight.  This is a "dry" weight.  The camper is weighed when it comes of the assembly line.  Your "wet" weight, will be the number after you setup your camper for camping activities.  "Wet" weight can be considerably higher than "dry" weight. 

Consider a gallon of water weights 8.3#, a full water tank = 166#, approximately 14% of your "dry" weight (assuming a 1200# Hawk) will be water.  Then add all your "stuff".  You could easily be 25-30% above your "dry" weight as your normal, hit the road, "wet" operating weight and this puts your payload around 1500#.  This is generally a weight that exceeds most payload numbers for a 1/2 rated truck.

Again, yes, you can certainly modify your 1/2 ton truck's suspension to carry the payload.  But, the one number you can never get around is the GCVW.  This is the max weight (considering both payload and the total weight of a conventional trailer and its payload).  Among other variables, GCVW refers to the weight your truck's braking system can safely stop according to federal guidelines for manufacturers.

F250/350.  Yes, these are 3/4 and 1 ton trucks respectively.  But there is are many more differences than simply the suspension.  Axles are completely different.  ECU firmware is different.  The design of the ladder frame is different.  While the F250 and F350 might appear the same to many, there are many F350 attributes not readily apparent walking around and looking at the truck.

I've had a F250 since 2003.  A perfect truck for all my needs, until I bought a Hawk.  I had to add all new leaf springs and shocks to obtain the payload capacity suitable for my loadout.  I am about 500# below GCVW when loaded for a trip and carrying my KTM 350 EXC in a Joe Hauler hitch carrier.  The 2003 F250 has significantly lower payload and gross combined numbers compared to modern F250s. 

All in all, just a bit extra coin for a 1 ton compared to a 3/4 is more than worthy consideration IMO.  A 1 ton truck will likely never leave you wanting for more payload capacity.  And, you will likely never need to perform any suspension modifications.

The type of engine is a personal preference.  I prefer the low end torque of the deisel for climb steep, gravel grades in the high altitude mountain.  The diesel motor allows you to slowly drive up the steep grades without any stress on the motor due to the abundant torque.  A 6.7L diesel is a 500,000 engine as long as you maintain it according to Ford service schedule.  I have the classic 7.3L.  A fantastic engine.  But, it was not designed for UL Sulfur diesel fuel so MPG suffers compared to the 6.7.  But, with only 98,000 on my F250, I can buy a lot of diesel fuel compared to the cost of a new F350.

Many good trucks out there to choose from.  I like Ford.  But, last December, I looked at the Dodge Tradesman 3500, Crew, 4x4, based on Langdon's article in Overland Journal.  The Tradesman is a bare bones truck perfect for my life/camping style.  Ultimately, I decided I didn't need a new truck and saved my money for another day.

Many, many good truck choices.  Dig deep into the the designs of the 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks when comparison shopping.

Good luck!

Edited by Advmoto18, 21 March 2016 - 11:54 AM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#46 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:35 PM

I have to agree with my friend Advmoto 18.
Nobody ever complained about having too much truck...

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#47 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 21 March 2016 - 02:03 PM

Advmoto18 missed the mark on the description of the Ford.

F250/F350 are the same truck (except the dually), same axles, same frame, same suspension (except for the rear block under the leafs and an overload spring).  I would almost always recommend the F350 for a camper because it will be rated higher, but the components will be the same.  You can buy an F250 with the camper package and in that case it will even come with the overload spring.  The only difference in that case is the block under the springs (2" for F250 and 4" for F350).

A lot of people don't realize they are the same truck (have been for years), with different badging, but after working for one of the largest auto dealer networks on the West coast, I can assure you, they are the same truck.  You would be hard pressed to find a (physical) difference in two trucks similarly equipped.

A reason not to get an F350 might be for insurance or registration reasons (the reason they offer an F350 with a 10k lbs package).  Some insurance or registration, or even roadways, have different requirement/regulations/costs once you break the 10k lbs GVWR mark.

#48 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:32 PM

Ace... 

Many changes since I purchased my 2003 F250.  Sometimes I get stuck on the specs of my antique truck and the many differences that existed between the 7.3L Super Duty models.  I should have more specific with my post which wasn't very well worded on my part attempting to convey what I meant.  My apologies.

Some general notes to begin regarding the F250 and F350.

- Up til about 2004, 4 wheel drive F250s got D50s while F350s got the D60.
- F250s typically get the upper aux spring as part of a package, while F350s usually have them no matter what.
- After 2011, F250s have one fewer leaf and vacuum boosted brakes while F350s get hydro-boost (diesels only).
- V10s with factory 4.30 gearing get the Dana Super 60 7000# GAWR front axle.
- Up until at least 2008, F250 2wd - no spacer, F250 4wd - 2" spacer, F350 2wd - 2" spacer, F350 4wd - 4" spacer

Identical features according to my local Ford dealer/salesman
- Frame
- Rear Axle
- Rear main leaf pack (through 2010)
- Front springs (rating is dependent on package and engine mainly, but any ratings of spring should physically fit in a truck the relevant major year ranges of 99-04, 05-07, 08-10, 11+)
- Engines
- Wheels and tires
- Sheet metal and trim

Yet, there are payload specification differences across the model lines.  For example, a F250 and a F350 both with a GVWR of 11000 have different payloads, 4220 and 3790 respectively.  If you desire the Super Duty's max available GVWR of 11,500 in a crew cab, it is available only in the F350, not the F250.  Of course, you can drop down to 11,400 and get the crew cab in the F250.  In trucks this heavy, what's 100# reduction!

So while we may think we are getting identical F250 and F350 trucks, one needs to be aware of differing payload numbers across the various submodels as well as the variations between the F250 and F350.  After all, our primary concern is safely driving our trucks with a camper full of stuff.  The F250 generally has more available payload than the F350 of same sub-model type. 

Finally, the one F250 v F350  spec that should jump out to anyone considering one of the heavier campers, note the Max Rear GAWR for the F250 v F350;  6290# (F250) v 7180# (F350 SRW).  That is a significant variation.  Most likely Ford considered the fifth wheel community (campers, horse trailers, etc) designing the rear suspension with the enhanced rear GAWR spec for the F350 even with this model's lower GVWR compared to the F250 of same sub-model.  This will also ensure the F350 owner will not likely need any suspension modifications or enhancements for even the heaviest of FWC campers, especially the flatbeds.

But yes, Ace is correct, for all intents and purposes, they are the same truck.  Just be mindful of the many varying payload numbers.

Ace, great point on registration!  In NC, any vehicle over, I seem to recall 6700#, requires a "weighted" tag/registration.   Weight is sold by the 100#.  You have to have a "weighted" registration for the weight of your truck, payload, and any weight you might tow.  You do not want through a DMV weight check and not have sufficient weight listed on your registration to cover your actual weight.  It is a hefty fine.

Edited by Advmoto18, 21 March 2016 - 10:09 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#49 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:20 PM

Our 2013 F-250 - 8' bed has a 10,000 gvwr. Fully loaded (Grandby) with all persons and dog, we stopped at a CAT scale on the way to Texas. We were 10,020 or 20#'s over. Need to cut some things out. I would prefer to be around 9800 loaded. Need to re-evaluate for next trip. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#50 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 23 March 2016 - 01:55 AM

Another 2003 F-250 owner with a 7.3 liter diesel.....love it...only thing different would be a F-350 with a 7.3....The Gvwr is slightly more...even if there is no difference other than the block,  that's worth it in my book.  Planning a trip to Canada where the mounties stop you at the scales and check your gvwr off the door jamb....if you're over,.....cha ching...thank you very much :o

Now....if I were in the market...and I'm not...but if I were.....and I could get what I wanted.....

F-350 SRW, 4WD.....with a Cummins diesel backed up with an Allison 6 speed automatic...and a 2 speed rear end....

They don't do that ...yet.....6.0, 6.4, 6.7.......keep it up and they'll be there soon enough... :D

Maybe one day Ford will notice....gee, our diesels aren't doing so well after we dropped the 7.3 and started building them ourselves :unsure:

Weight reduction......DIET...and

Titanium sporks, lightweight plastic plates, silicon steamer, lightweight martini glasses...and only one pint of scotch...half the seasonings and freeze dried soup....only one bottle of wine...and a smaller dog

Edited by Rusty, 23 March 2016 - 02:00 AM.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users