- - - - -

Concrete bed cushions

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:38 PM

Didn't find a lot searching. Just wondering who has upgraded the foam in their bed cushions and what did you use.

2012 Eagle shell. The stock 4"(I think) bed cushions might as well be concrete. We've used a 4" memory foam topper so far and the combo is nice but too much weight and bulk. I'd like to get the foam replaced with something that's comfortable to sleep on and just use the stock cushions.

I had thought about a lamination with soft foam on top and denser on bottom. I found a local foam place and he said that wouldn't be needed. They can provide the rights stuff in a single piece.

Does anyone know what year FWC upgraded the foam? What density # the old vs new is?

004_zps5cc6564d.jpg

I'm also open to other options and ideas.

Edited by Squatch, 22 February 2016 - 05:40 PM.

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,355 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:29 PM

Newer Updated FWC Mattress?

FWC Mattress Update

Memory Foam Topper for the hawk

Foam Source

Extra Padding in a 2008 Eagle

Custom Mattress for a 2005 Eagle

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:21 PM

Thanks Ski. I figured it had been covered a lot. But not much luck for me with the search above.

#4 exmx_racer

exmx_racer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:38 AM

We have a 2012 Fleet with the 4" concrete foam. Here are the numbers for the foam I got directly from FWC:

2012 Foam: Density=1.8. IDL=48

New foam 3" thick Density=2.5. IDL=35

I literally called today to order foam from "The Foam Factory", Foambymail.com. After talking with them today I am ordering their HD36 - High Quality foam which is Density=2.8 IDL=35. Also, asking them to wrap with Dacron.

It is going to cost about $250 to $300 for 5 pieces. I am waiting on the formal quote and can't wait to try it. I have decided to just use the cushion covers for the 4" thick original foam and not going going to worry about a little looseness. But I am hoping with the 3" foam we can leave the bedding on the bed when we pop down.

#5 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:21 AM

I called a local foam place. They said we could come in and lay down on stuff till we found what we liked. He said it's a common problem with boats and RV's. Price was in the same ballpark you were quoted. I'm think for us the best option is to stay with the 4" and just get new foam that works inside the covers. Kiss principle.

#6 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:44 PM

We had super hard cushions also. Went to our local furniture re-upholstery shop. Told them we wanted foam designed for sleeping. They recommended "Nymbus Q41" . So far slept on it 110 nights very comfortable.

We also had the cushions cut down to queen size so we could use fitted bottom sheet. At the time we replaced the foam in all 5 sections. Since in the Eagle we sleep north-south we could have saved money doing just the large 48" section as the other 4 support the legs only.

Doing it again we would have used 3 inch thick not four. We had the same foam in our "Flip-Pac" 3 inch thick. It was just as firm as the four.

In 2013 the factory replaced theirs with medium-hard 3 inch thick so owner can leave bedding on

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#7 Mickey Bitsko

Mickey Bitsko

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:56 PM

Didn't find a lot searching. Just wondering who has upgraded the foam in their bed cushions and what did you use.

2012 Eagle shell. The stock 4"(I think) bed cushions might as well be concrete. We've used a 4" memory foam topper so far and the combo is nice but too much weight and bulk. I'd like to get the foam replaced with something that's comfortable to sleep on and just use the stock cushions.

I had thought about a lamination with soft foam on top and denser on bottom. I found a local foam place and he said that wouldn't be needed. They can provide the rights stuff in a single piece.

Does anyone know what year FWC upgraded the foam? What density # the old vs new is?

004_zps5cc6564d.jpg

I'm also open to other options and ideas.

This an interesting topic, my 2005 Eagle has 2" foam only, do you travel with bed pulled out ? Maybe all person would have to do is leave the bed in the open position for traveling with bedding on [using 3"foam]. Might be difficult to pop the front...hmm

I'll have to do a little more pondering..

#8 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:00 PM

Yeah, FWC hard cushions are legendary. I've sat on pine 2 x 12's that were softer than our 2012 Hawk's 4" mattress! It seems like the 2015 mattress is better.

One thing we did with our 2012 Hawk was to insert inside the mattress cover a thin "egg crate" foam topper from Walmart. We could still close the camper lid even with a (thin) sleeping bag on top.

#9 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:19 PM

So far we don't travel with the bed extended. It's easier for us to load the camper with it pushed in. Normally just stack the cushions like this. The inside lift struts don't like getting smashed into the cushions when the bed is extended and you close the lid. Eventually they get moved outside.
009%20Small_zpsogasc8yl.jpg

We'll check into the 3" foam. But I don't want saggy covers on the cushions. We use a double sleeping bag so setting up the bed is not an issue. We'll probably also just use the local place even if it costs a little more. I like the try it till you find what you want concept.

We recently bought a new bed for home. We skipped the chain stores and went to a small local mattress place. We ended up spending more than we had planned. But with no sales push we just talked to the folks and tried different stuff. What we bought was almost the opposite of what is popular and what convention says you should have. But it was so amazingly comfortable we knew instantly we had found the right mattress as soon as we laid on it. I want the same kind of comfort for the camper. This is a long haul purchase. I do enough sleeping on a self inflating pad when I river camp.

Edited by Squatch, 23 February 2016 - 08:32 PM.

#10 Hardcastle

Hardcastle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOgden, UT

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:16 PM

I use Thermarest brand "Dreamtime" mattresses in my FWC. I owned the mattresses prior to purchasing the camper and loved them. After my first night in the camper using the cushions it came with i promptly pulled those out and was happy to see my Dreamtimes fit great. The other surprise bonus to using these is you can slide in the bed and you don't have to have the extra cushions stacked up down below. Because these mattresses are a foam/air mix i fold them over once and they squish enough that the roof sits down without issue. I even leave the sleeping bags and pillows up there with no problems. It may be something to consider if you don't like the stock cushions. 

2008 Tundra TRD Crew Cab & Four Wheel Camper Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users