• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:47 PM

The prices I've found locally are nuts so I've been researching online for foam. I didn't see any good foam suppliers listed in a search of this site so I figured I'd post what I found to be the cheapest so far. Hopefully its useful to others down the road and if someone knows of a better place clue us all in! :thumb:

Free shipping over $75!
http://www.thefoamfactory.com/

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#2 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:38 AM

Acquiring foam is on my to do list. Talked to Ben (at ATC and formerly of FWC) a couple weeks ago and his wisdom was: "buy local". Shipping is nuts. I suppose he's right.

Anyway, I couldn't find anything on the internet. Just what you found, nothing more. Very rare that I do this, but I went to the yellow pages and found a local shop to check out. I called them and will end up down there in the next few weeks.

Don't forget your local marine supply and upholstery shops. These should be more prevalent in your neck of the woods...

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#3 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:43 AM

Foam is crazy expensive. I was in Costco the other day and they 3" Queen size memory foam for about $180. I don't know if this can be cut and reused. Also check out Walmart. They have foam futons that can be cut to size. Just remove the cover. Don't get locked into a one source mind set. Hope this helps, and good luck.

Cheers,

Mike

#4 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:26 AM

A friend recommended this company - FoamOrder.com

"EverFlex™ V54

EverFlex™ V54 is a high quality firm grade of foam. This foam is one of the best qualities. This foam is expected to last 15 years without dipping, flattening, or softening. (Density: 3.2 lb/ft3, ILD: 45.) "

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#5 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:05 PM

I don't know what folks consider "expensive" to be in regards to foam... but I had this company make the foam cushions for the bed mod in my Hawk and they did a nice job/sent me exactly what I ordered. As you'll see...they have many choices of foam to choose from for RV's and boats/etc.

http://www.intelligentfoam.com/ Based in Boulder, CO.

#6 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:53 PM

I called local upholstery shops and got recommended to a local foam shop. They were nice enough but 2-3X the cost of that foam source I linked for comparable densities. With free shipping on that place its hard to turn away from that.

I'll have to check out these other links too.

Edit:

A friend recommended this company - FoamOrder.com

"EverFlex™ V54

EverFlex™ V54 is a high quality firm grade of foam. This foam is one of the best qualities. This foam is expected to last 15 years without dipping, flattening, or softening. (Density: 3.2 lb/ft3, ILD: 45.) "

Yikes, $500 if I went with new foam on the entire upper mattress from these guys (not planning to but its my pricing point comparison).

I don't know what folks consider "expensive" to be in regards to foam... but I had this company make the foam cushions for the bed mod in my Hawk and they did a nice job/sent me exactly what I ordered. As you'll see...they have many choices of foam to choose from for RV's and boats/etc.

http://www.intelligentfoam.com/ Based in Boulder, CO.

Getting closer in pricing but no mention of shipping so one would have to assume its not free. If local I'd likely check these folks out.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#7 b team

b team

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for the link. Looks like a good source. I bet a foam shop is a fun place to work :)

I ended up going to costco for a 3" memory mattress and I will cut it to fit. It was marked down $20 iirc and seems to be the best quality of other big retailers.
Free and Easy Down the Road I Go 2003 Eagle

#8 Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationKlamath County, OR

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:05 PM

I just checked on this a few days ago. The Wal-Mart near me has 4" queen size memory foam mattress toppers for $130. That's $6.50 per square foot. Does anyone know how well this stuff would work for making seat cushions?

JP

#9 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:18 PM

I just checked on this a few days ago. The Wal-Mart near me has 4" queen size memory foam mattress toppers for $130. That's $6.50 per square foot. Does anyone know how well this stuff would work for making seat cushions?

JP

Yeah I had been wondering about those toppers as well. Didn't know how well they'd work solo (ie without being on a mattress), how easy to cut, and weight difference verse standard foam.

For seat cushions 4" would be pretty thick, I think 3" is more common, but if you're cool with the thickness then is just a matter of those questions I just asked...

Edit: Looking on wally worlds page: http://www.walmart.c...duct_id=4569413 looks like they do 1.5" memory foam and 2.5" high density foam. Density looks to be around 3lb/ft^3 which isn't that much higher than the 2.8lb/ft^3 premium stuff, I think 2lb/ft^3 tends to be the mid line stuff and if I had to guess is probably what is in our rigs??? So you'd be looking about about 10lb more in the camper with something like this. No idea if it cuts well.

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:26 PM

Lots of the stuff for sale on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users