18 replies to this topic

#11 5 Speed

5 Speed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:41 AM

I don't know if I would use memory foam for the whole mattress. Better test the foam first. I have a memory foam mattress plus a memory foam topper for my home bed and the thing about pure memory foam I would think it would compress completely if you put your elbow on it above wood. The topper I know would compress totally flat if put on wood at pressure points. Most memory foam beds have a layer of memory foam on top of foam foundation. I can tell you it is the best sleep and I don't think I could ever get a good sleep on another bed, especially since I have to sleep on my side or back. You might look into a queen thermarest pad. I believe at one time they made a 3" version for Van camping.
2000 Toyota Access Cab TRD 4WD 5-speed manual. 4WheelCamper Hawk shell w/extended bed and custom interior.

#12 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:11 PM

I don't know if I would use memory foam for the whole mattress. Better test the foam first. I have a memory foam mattress plus a memory foam topper for my home bed and the thing about pure memory foam I would think it would compress completely if you put your elbow on it above wood. The topper I know would compress totally flat if put on wood at pressure points. Most memory foam beds have a layer of memory foam on top of foam foundation. I can tell you it is the best sleep and I don't think I could ever get a good sleep on another bed, especially since I have to sleep on my side or back. You might look into a queen thermarest pad. I believe at one time they made a 3" version for Van camping.

Yeah I got concerned about that real quick yesterday when I saw a topper in the store and saw how small a box it was compressed into. I think I'll stick with the standard foams.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#13 Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationKlamath County, OR

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:04 PM

Yeah I got concerned about that real quick yesterday when I saw a topper in the store and saw how small a box it was compressed into. I think I'll stick with the standard foams.

The size of the package is not an indicator of how thick or how firm it will be once unpacked. They are vacuum sealed to reduce the size until ready to use. Standard foam could be compressed just as small.

JP

#14 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:45 PM

The size of the package is not an indicator of how thick or how firm it will be once unpacked. They are vacuum sealed to reduce the size until ready to use. Standard foam could be compressed just as small.

JP

Call me skeptical but I don't see how I could cram the current 76x48" mattress in my camper into a square box 1.5' on each side, let alone a full king size version of it.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#15 5 Speed

5 Speed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:59 PM

This might be the ticket, not cheap but I bet the sleep would be excellent
thermarest dreamtime and put carpet up there under the pads to make keep everything from moving, tons of storage and the bed would be sweet.

When we purchased our camper I saw the 1/2 thickness bed pads that allowed the sleeping bags, etc to be kept up on the bed and with the extra length bed it allows all our bags and I keep two thermarest LE pads up there too. When I am by myself I sometimes use both and it is a dream. What I noticed when we purchased our camper was that the density of the bed foam was the same for both thickness so there was no reason to get the thicker pads. They are firm and no way could you push through to the board with a elbow. I also extended the pull out so we can sleep either direction, when I go camping with my brother we sleep along the truck axis so we don't have to climb over each other in the night.
2000 Toyota Access Cab TRD 4WD 5-speed manual. 4WheelCamper Hawk shell w/extended bed and custom interior.

#16 5 Speed

5 Speed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:17 PM

thermarest dreamtime and put carpet up there under the pads to make keep everything from moving, tons of storage and the bed would be sweet.

When we purchased our camper I saw the 1/2 thickness bed pads that allowed the sleeping bags, etc to be kept up on the bed and with the extra length bed it allows all our bags and I keep two thermarest LE pads up there too. When I am by myself I sometimes use both and it is a dream. What I noticed when we purchased our camper was that the density of the bed foam was the same for both thickness so there was no reason to get the thicker pads. They are firm and no way could you push through to the board with a elbow. I also extended the pull out so we can sleep either direction, when I go camping with my brother we sleep along the truck axis so we don't have to climb over each other in the night.

#17 robski

robski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:10 PM

I bought mine at the local flea market here in Roseville area (denio's). Way cheaper if you ask me. I checked the price online (add shipping), upholstery shop, and marine shop but they asked to much for it.

#18 jcfly

jcfly

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:08 AM

For those wondering, If I'm not mistaken, I seem to remember someone telling me that foam could cut nicely with an electric carving knife.
Probably makes a very accurate cut.
Jim 2009 Chevy 2500 HD / 2004 FWC Hawk

#19 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:46 AM

Yeah I actually did a long pull out for mine too (just finished it) previously there was just the 4' cab over part. I had considered doing a 3" mattress on the top instead of 4" to allow bedding to stay up there but that would definitely require buying foam for the whole thing. Where as right now we're considering just getting some firm foam for the slider part and leaving the normal mattress alone (unless they fell grossly different, then we'd replace the rest).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users