51 replies to this topic

#31 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:01 AM

Looks great!

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#32 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 08 April 2016 - 05:36 AM

Looks great. Can't wait to see it at the rally. Its obvious that if you're under 6', you need some vertical assistance. 

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#33 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:24 PM

OK...Hopefully my comments will only prove my ignorance and in fact this new product for FWC is nothing less than outstanding.

#1  Look at the singular pivot point for all of the awning arms and material; yes, the pivot is "sturdy aluminum" but it is attached at a single point on the FWC frame.  Watch the pivot point flex when Paul is setting it up and taking it down in the video.  Just my take but that is a lot of leverage on a single point on the frame.  Get any wind and the constant flexing up and down on the horizontal frame arms will significantly work that pivot point attachment over time.

#2  Perhaps I missed the demonstration of how the main horizontal support arms could be tilted down to drop the downward slope of the awning.  When vertical "legs" were tucked away the unsupported horizontal arms do not seem to drop down more than a couple of inches.  Being able to slope the awning downward is not just to shed water but to shed high wind forces and compensate for changing sun angles.

#3  The expansive Bat Wing awning surface area provides a lot of shade around the camper; but it also presents a lot of surface area for wind energy to act against and including winds coming from differing directions relative to the camper.  Stowing the awning in a high wind would be exciting and perhaps challenging.

#4  Yes, unless you are tall like Paul a stool will be needed to deploy and retrieve the awning.  Plus just for my taste, rolled up and stowed it looks, well, like a canvas awning stuck on the side of an otherwise sleek looking camper.  Just my tastes.

I can see the usefulness of a lot of shading for the camper in a high heat, lots of direct sun environment to help keep the inside the camper a little cooler.   In a windless day in 100+ heat; more shade would be appreciated.

Not trying to dissuade anyone from getting a Bat Wing.  Everyone should get what best suits their needs and what strikes a cord with their sensibilities.

And as always, I could be wrong.

Phil 

#34 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 08 April 2016 - 05:10 PM

OK...Hopefully my comments will only prove my ignorance and in fact this new product for FWC is nothing less than outstanding.

#1  Look at the singular pivot point for all of the awning arms and material; yes, the pivot is "sturdy aluminum" but it is attached at a single point on the FWC frame.  Watch the pivot point flex when Paul is setting it up and taking it down in the video.  Just my take but that is a lot of leverage on a single point on the frame.  Get any wind and the constant flexing up and down on the horizontal frame arms will significantly work that pivot point attachment over time.

#2  Perhaps I missed the demonstration of how the main horizontal support arms could be tilted down to drop the downward slope of the awning.  When vertical "legs" were tucked away the unsupported horizontal arms do not seem to drop down more than a couple of inches.  Being able to slope the awning downward is not just to shed water but to shed high wind forces and compensate for changing sun angles.

#3  The expansive Bat Wing awning surface area provides a lot of shade around the camper; but it also presents a lot of surface area for wind energy to act against and including winds coming from differing directions relative to the camper.  Stowing the awning in a high wind would be exciting and perhaps challenging.

#4  Yes, unless you are tall like Paul a stool will be needed to deploy and retrieve the awning.  Plus just for my taste, rolled up and stowed it looks, well, like a canvas awning stuck on the side of an otherwise sleek looking camper.  Just my tastes.

I can see the usefulness of a lot of shading for the camper in a high heat, lots of direct sun environment to help keep the inside the camper a little cooler.   In a windless day in 100+ heat; more shade would be appreciated.

Not trying to dissuade anyone from getting a Bat Wing.  Everyone should get what best suits their needs and what strikes a cord with their sensibilities.

And as always, I could be wrong.

Phil 

Phil,  I don't think it makes a difference on which awning is on the camper, winds will have an impact.  In 2015 while in Galveston, moderate to high winds slide the rear awning out of its track and my poor wife was hanging on for dear life.  This year I didn't take the rear awning as the weather report was dry all week.  Winds were in the 20+ mph range all week.  The first two days had 35-40 wind gusts.  Needless to say my side awning wasn't used.  It is a big risk to have the awning out with that type of wind, even it you tried to stake the legs and added additional tie-downs.  The company that makes the new awning has a good reputation.  I would have jumped at this new awning if I was orderning the camper today.  jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#35 dharte

dharte

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:25 PM

Stan,

Would you be able to estimate the approximate labor cost for installation of this awning (and the Fiamma) on a 2015 Hawk?  I like the rear awning we already have but we bought the camper knowing we eventually would get a side awning.  The rear awning has pretty minimal coverage for providing shade, especially with low sun angles. As far as wind-I think all awnings need to be stowed when winds kick up-we camped in some very strong winds last month in Utah and I doubt any awning would have survived! Years ago I had a tent trailer with an awning and we came back from a hike one day to see our awning demolished, and one of the detachable legs had been flipped up and impaled through the fiberglass/foam roof of the camper! 

thanks,

david

#36 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 09 April 2016 - 11:09 PM

Good comments folks and appreciated.  

The "wind factor" is a given with any awning; but the more surface area the more energy applied to the material and the frame.  My trepidation about the Bat Wing in any wind was related to the movement, even slight movement, and torque applied to the single mounting post through the long horizontal lever arms used to hold the canvas. My Fiamma for example has much less surface area and three stout mounting points.   Bat Wing comes from a good company but is the use of this type of mounting on a FWC prudent with the existing aluminum frame? 

Yes, in even moderate winds all awnings are usually stowed; but in variable or light winds especially in desert areas the shade and wind are needed to stay reasonably comfortable.  Any wind will "work" the Bat Wing pivot post via the horizontal lever arms.

As for the FWC rear awning; I have read of them failing due to the mounting system and also not really providing the protection expected.

As always, I may have missed something in my ramblings, the Bat Wing engineering and FWC application could be flawless and I could be wrong... :D

Phil

#37 whitedog9

whitedog9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationAthens, GA

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:20 AM

Just a thought-Has anyone considered the Rhino Rack Foxwing Awning? There are options available from the $500 to 700 range. I don't know yet if they can provide brackets for mounting of the sort that a FWC would require. There are 1- 2 more of this general type.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

#38 whitedog9

whitedog9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationAthens, GA

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:41 AM

The following link is another that is available from OK4WD.COM for 1495.00 still expensive I know

http://ok4wd.com/sho...-shadow-awning.

I have seen another called the Ostrich wing from http://www.bigcountr...h-wing-awning/. I just saw this so I have no further info on it.

This is from Expedition Portal -
I thought you might be interested in reading this recent link to some awning postings from this web page:
http://www.expeditio...ferrerid=126131

Right now We are just sorting out what and how much we want to allocate to an awning(s).

We are just poking around and have no experience with any of these.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

#39 codename607

codename607

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:31 PM

I started researching awnings the day I put down a deposit on my FWC. Coming from a long list of overland built rigs, an awning is a must in my book. Not just for staying out of the sun but for creating extended living spaces. My ideal of a great awning would be one that covers the side and back, one that has optional walls and one that provides protection from bugs. The downside with most of the ones I've found is that the walls are not screened. So I will likely modify which ever one I purchase. 

To be far, I've seen most of these awnings in person and hands down the one that FWC is using is the best quality. You have to understand where these awnings are made of to determine the quality. Just like with roof top tents most are made in South Africa and the others are made in China. Usually the price will determine where they are made but I've had good luck with both styles.

The journey is the reward...

#40 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:05 PM

Is FWC doing anything to strengthen the rear mounting point for the new awnings?

The bat and manta are nice pieces. I just bought the Alu-cab shadow awning because it combines the best of both of the above in terms of shape and only has one support leg to deal with. This does mean additional stress on the rear attachment pivot point. The thing I like best about the shadow is how quick and easy it is to deploy and stow. So if a strong wind storm does come in we can easily put the awning away.

I would be curious to hear more about the new awning brackets and if they are doing anything to strengthen the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users