5 replies to this topic

#1 anonymous

anonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 07:33 PM

I was thinking it might be an option to get one of these and kind of gutting it -removing all of the extra cabinetry.  They claim dry weight of 1233 lbs. I wonder what you could get it down to if you removed all the overhead cabinets, and the big passenger side cabinet at the back.  They are definitely cheaper than a FWC.

http://www.truckcamp...edition-review/

#2 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:48 AM

My two cents, you'd be way better off just getting a used FWC or ATC. That way you'd have an aluminum frame.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." —John Muir. http://aimlessroamer.blogspot.com/

#3 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:02 AM

They are definitely cheaper than a FWC.

Agreed. I went through my Palomino phase. They look like a lot of camper for the money.

It depends on your use. If you will be mostly highway and a few carefully driven FS roads than go for it. But if (like most of us) you head for the jeep roads and high country then no matter how much you reconstruct it my guess is your Palomino will be kindling wood within the year.

I took my 2012 FWC Hawk over lots of 4WD passes (including the Alpine Loop north of Silverton, CO) in the three years I had it and didn't even pop a rivet. The models FWC (and ATC) makes are totally bomb proof. But yes... the Palomino is "definitely cheaper"! :)

#4 anonymous

anonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:10 PM

my guess is your Palomino will be kindling wood within the year.

Haha! Thanks, all good points. 

#5 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:40 PM

Those cabinets you want to remove may be part of the structure.  ;)

#6 carld

carld

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationDecatur Texas

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:07 PM

I had a Palomino 800 on my 2002 Tundra and liked it but traded it for a ATC Ocelot.  The main reason was weight and center of gravity and the roof lift system is unreliable, it broke twice on me and ended up in a hotel.  It did have a lot of space and was comfortable. The roof is made of 3 4x8 3/4 inch particle roofing board which makes it top heavy and unstable on rough roads.  Also if moisture get to the roof, it falls apart. The interior is also particle board and swells up with humidity.  Mine had an air conditioner on top which made it more top heavy.  Also, I had to modify the back door so I could get in it with the top down.  Compared to the Palomino I can barely tell that I have a camper with the ATC.

2002 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2015 Ocelot

2006 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2018 78" Ocelot

2011 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2010 78" Ocelot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users