#31 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 02 April 2016 - 12:39 PM

Foy,

Somewhere you have an "unladen" weight label on your truck. Take that and deduct it from your GVWR, that would give you your payload, It will probably be more than Longhorn1. Without doing some digging, I would guess that a '02 F250 would have a GVWR somewhere around 9200lbs. Your F350 probably has a different front axle, hence the rear spacers and has larger brakes.

Historically, brakes also change as you go from a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 and to a 1 ton. I do know that there has been brake size changes between SRW and DRW 1 ton pickups.

My truck's "wet weight" which is often referred to (I think) as curb weight or unladen weight and which for Federal income tax purposes is known as Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), that being the weight of the truck alone, full of fluids (and fuel?), but without passengers or cargo, is right at 7,400 lbs.  I've read that the 7.3 liter diesel with its normal attachments weighs 1,200 lbs on its own.  I don't know if the second battery under the hood is part of that 1,200 lbs or not. I know for certain my GVWR is 9,900 lbs, and with the wet weight/curb weight/GVW where it is, I believe my payload is 2,500 lbs. The way it's normally configured, which is with a heavy fiberglass shell, an inside-the-shell toolbox, and a host of tools and outdoor equipment, I've weighed it at 8,240 lbs at the local landfill. Loaded up for a weekend trip and certainly for a haul to Montana, it's got to be pushing 9,000 lbs.  Add about 300 lbs of tongue weight from the hardside A-Frame popup camper and I'm pushing the GVWR and I might be a tad over it.

Unless what I faintly recall reading years back was wrong, my front drive axle is a Dana 50 and the rear is a Dana 70. If the same reading was correct, the '02 F250 diesels had the same axles, brakes, drivelines, etc.  The point of the piece I read was that for '02, at least, the only difference between an F250 and a SRW F350, each with the 7.3 diesel, was the spacer blocks in the rear and higher-rated OEM tires.  

Foy

#32 DSD277

DSD277

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationArcadia, California

Posted 02 April 2016 - 07:57 PM

Foy

Curb weight and unladen weight are the same.. an empty truck (w/ fluids) as it came from the factory, any options that was added as part of the truck would be included in that number. .  As an example, 2 trucks were ordered the same except one was ordered with a 2nd battery. The unladen weight of the truck with the 2nd battery would be heavier. That is true for every item that that was on that vehicle when it left the factory.

GVW and GVWR are the same number, Gross Vehicle Weight (or Rating)  is the maximum weight a particular vehicle can weigh loaded.

I had guessed that an F250 had a GVW of 9200lbs before. I was wrong and the actual number is 8800lbs.

Attached are 2 documents that give the basic specs for the 2002 F250 and F350 172" wb crewcabs.

These are just 4 pages of a 85 page document by Ford for truck  body builders. Every truck manufacturers publishes these for every year, plus tons of drawings for whatever information an aftermarket manufacturer could possible need.

For the search for your truck I googled: 2002 ford super duty specs

The search answer to follow is ]2002 Super Duty F-250/350/450/550 - fleet.ford.com

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a hyperlink to work, but with that search, that is the page you want for the complete document.

A basic search with whatever manufacturer and year will hopefully get you to their body builders section....

For GM, it is GM Upfitter for all the info you'd probably never use. :D

Attached Files

#33 LookyLou

LookyLou

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 04:13 PM

The GVWR is the total weight the truck plus load should be at or below.  The axle GAWR are subsets of that.  If the truck is at 10,000 lbs and the rear axle is at capacity, 6,100 lbs, then the front axle should only have 3,900 lbs on it to stay within GVWR.

Conversely, if the front axle is at capacity, 4,800 lbs, then the rear axle should be at or below 5,200 lbs to stay within GVWR.

In your case, your axles could be within limits but you exceed overall weight limits fully loaded, but after you've driven 30 or 40 miles you are within GVWR.

Edited by LookyLou, 10 April 2016 - 04:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users