• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 17 April 2016 - 12:12 PM

So I'm curious what the wisdom is for tightening the 4 corner latches.  How tight to you go?  I realize this question is probably different on a camper like mine with a lift mechanism (in my case a giant jack screw) from others that have a 'strong arm' lift.  

I'm tending to go with just a little bit of tension but not pulling the top down more than a few millimeters, but just wondered where you guys are on this.  

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#2 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 17 April 2016 - 12:41 PM

When I purchased mine. I was told to fasten latch on catch and adjust pull until it is 90 degrees when first starts feeling pull. Then you can pull rest of way to fasten  tight.

Maybe hard to envision but seems to work for me.

#3 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:47 PM

I was told the same thing by FWC. I imagine it's similar for a Hallmark if it has the same kind of latches.

When I purchased mine. I was told to fasten latch on catch and adjust pull until it is 90 degrees when first starts feeling pull. Then you can pull rest of way to fasten  tight.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:13 PM

I think it's the same for FWC/ATC.Marty on his run thru on our Bobcat,the latch tightness when closed still left a slight bit of downward play to the roof. As I remember when we visited FWC first Steve? gave us the same info. Seems to work for us.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 18 April 2016 - 12:42 AM

I think it's the same for FWC/ATC.Marty on his run thru on our Bobcat,the latch tightness when closed still left a slight bit of downward play to the roof. As I remember when we visited FWC first Jeff? gave us the same info. Seems to work for us.
Frank

I was told the same by FWC at installation. Should be able to pull roof down some more after closing latch.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#6 verynice

verynice

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:16 AM

I was thinking of putting a pin-lock of some sort on the inside jack mechanism just for a warm fuzzy feeling, especially since you're already there it wouldn't take any extra time.

1992 Chevrolet 2500 350 4X4- Utility bed Factory Alaskan Truck/Camper combo-

1999 Northstar TC800, 2000 Six Pac D850, Many Callen Canopies-

2004.5 Dodge 2500 5.9D 4x4-2010 Lance 825-Toyo, Thuren, Solar, Hellwig BigWig everything- current rig

#7 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:56 AM

Hallmark told me to keep the latch tension loose enough so that with a tug on the roof you can still pull down a bit on the roof.  There is a bit of play but the latch is tight enough not to fall off when tugging down at the corner.  I think they want to keep everything floating for vibration and flex to keep the soft wall from chaffing.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users