Photo
- - - - -

Buying used Hawk - please help us pack for first trip!

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 2020

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:30 AM

On my very first overnighter in my new camper I discovered that I needed a measuring cup. It's always the little things. Live & learn.

#32 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:50 AM

Hey, I don't mean to be negative at all, and certainly not condescending since I do not consider myself Mr. Camper. Somehow this all seems a bit of an over-the-top dialog, especially for a person who was tent camping for a long period of time and is going on a mere 4-day trip. What in the world could go wrong other than a few minor inconveniences that are all part of the 'adventure" of getting out there in your new camper.  For heaven's sake, as compared to tent camping, you are moving UP in terms of planning for survival. 

Go for it.  Risk the adventure.  Don't think for a moment you have all bases covered because there are suprises around all corners.

I.E....have fun with the ADVENTURE of the unkown.

Chris

Chris - you are right, this probably is a bit over the top!  We are certainly not planning for survival, this is a trip along or near major towns and highways and at any point in time I doubt we'll be more than a few miles away from a Target or Wal-mart or any other store that would serve our needs.   We will be away from the convenience of two day free shipping on Amazon prime, so that is roughing it a bit?

The information here has been very helpful....tricks about how to easily close the camper, thoughts on what to bring, etc.    What is at stake here is an enjoyable first trip for my family.   Start them off on the right foot and I can handily convince my wife that not only was this "investment" worth it, but also that it is so much fun we should schedule another 40+ nights out for the rest of the summer and fall! 

#33 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 05 May 2016 - 02:29 AM

Pillows, sleeping bags and a toothbrush is all I ever feel I HAVE to bring.

I've had my Hawk for just over a year now.  Prior to that we had tent camping down to a science.  Trying to figure out what to bring and what not to bring in a new camper is a challenge.  Usually you end up bringing too much stuff and it ends up getting in the way (that's why I suggest bringing a small tent to put your stuff in).

After at least 15 separate trips ranging from 2 days to 2 weeks, we are still trying to figure out what to bring.  More so, what not to bring.

I really find I have a much better time if we travel light.  Having to improvise a little can be very fun.

What we have also found fun is going to thrift shops to equip the camper.  I got brand new plates that fit the cupboards perfectly and a few other items for next to nothing.

Most important, have a fun trip.  I'm sure you will.

#34 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 05 May 2016 - 04:46 AM

Always been my mantra in the past: light and fast and fun.   An 8-month old requires a good bit of gear, so things change a bit!

#35 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:14 PM

And we're off!

ImageUploadedByWander The West1462475655.020451.jpg

ImageUploadedByWander The West1462475674.248281.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

#36 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:06 PM

Have fun and thanks for sharing your excitement! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#37 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:47 PM

Let us know how things turn out.  It will be interesting to see how you fasten your Thule carrier to the top.

It's always a little strange heading out on that first trip with no tailgate  :)

Have fun!!!

Edited by Bill D, 06 May 2016 - 02:00 AM.

#38 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:31 AM

FYI...FWC sez in their instruction manual to open the door when closing or opening the camper top...otherwise you can damage the structure of the roof by putting excessive twist on top..yes, it is an adventure...but you don't want to damage your new to you camper...fans [assuming 2] even on full will not beat the air pulled in with the door open and top is pushed up or let down; why risk it?....just a thought.

Phil

#39 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:37 AM

I may be buying an 8' ladder to access the roof rack to mount the Thule box! Or standing on my wife's shoulders :)

The truck is packed so needed to bring the box to keep things dry.

#40 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 07 May 2016 - 02:21 AM

Success!

Baby is asleep up top. Mom and I sitting by the fire with a cold one. Life is good :)

ImageUploadedByWander The West1462587677.253524.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users