rilcombs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:56 PM

Hi All,

I picked up a 2014 Raven in February that does not have the Yakima Tracks installed on the roof.  I just bought a Renogy 100W panel along with some Yakima Tracks and planned to have Rack Attack install the tracks, to which the panel would be mounted (the wiring is already there).

After dropping the truck off at Rack Attack today, they told me they didn't feel comfortable installing the tracks.  This is due to the new smooth roof not allowing them to clearly see where the tracks need to be installed.

I guess my question is, what would you do?

a) try to install the tracks yourself and move forward?

B) attach the panel to the roof without the tracks?

c) not put anything on the roof at all (I'm not sure where the panel would go)?

Any input or advice is very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited by rilcombs, 02 May 2016 - 11:57 PM.

#2 northshorehenry

northshorehenry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC Canada

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:30 AM

Are you in a position that driving to the factory is an option? Failing that, driving to an authorized dealer?

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,528 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:48 AM

Call FWC service and talk through the details with them. I suspect they would share measurement info, plus where the solar wiring is terminated.

I am haunted by waters

#4 rilcombs

rilcombs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:09 PM

northshorehenry - I am not.  I'll reach out to the guys in Tigard.  I was really hoping to avoid the steep install costs, but it's looking like I may have to go that route.

WS - Will do.  I know where the wiring is terminated, the main issue is the drilling into the rooftop.  Rack Attack just wasn't up for it.  Time for Plan B!

Thanks!

#5 AK Nomad

AK Nomad

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:12 PM

Depends on individual skill level, but I'd go for it.  Seems a stud finder might locate those aluminum frame members.

I've seen panels attached with or without racks.  Individual preference I think.

Rooftop is obviously best location for a solar panel, unless you like the portable option which might mean getting a different panel.

Good luck with the project!

#6 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,171 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:14 PM

northshorehenry - I am not.  I'll reach out to the guys in Tigard.  I was really hoping to avoid the steep install costs, but it's looking like I may have to go that route.

WS - Will do.  I know where the wiring is terminated, the main issue is the drilling into the rooftop.  Rack Attack just wasn't up for it.  Time for Plan B!

Thanks!

Yup...Jeff in Tigard will tell you.  Honest and knowledgeable.  I have those tracks but they are on a Hawk...so measurements would be meaningless.   FWC would be a must make phone call before drilling any holes in the camper.

Good luck and please post how it goes.

Phil

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,243 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:47 PM

Just as a suggestion, take a look at your roof from the outside and the inside. You want to put the mounting screws for the tracks in the center of the frame tubing running the length of the roof. Where are they? You can see on the inside. The faxwood strips holding the headliner are stapled into them. I bet with careful feeling from the top you can find the hard edges of the tubing by pressing on the thin roof sheeting. They will match the measurement taken from the inside.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#8 rilcombs

rilcombs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:56 PM

AK, Wallowa, and ski3 - Thank you!  I now have a pretty good idea about how to go about this thing.  Going to talk to Jeff to get his opinion as well.  It doesn't sound very difficult, but man I would hate to screw this up!

#9 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,049 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:07 PM

INSIDE CAMPER look through fabric ...you can see the aluminum. Use a measuring tape to wall (add a 1/4") from the outside measure over. I asked FWC and they told me the amount but I checked.Stud finder also worked. I installed my Yakima channels and racks. It was nerve wracking due to "it is the roof" but in the end you will see if you do mess up...it is small... a bit of silicone and all is fine.

Mine have been on a couple years with no leak.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#10 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,528 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:27 PM

Thanks!

If you're in the Portland area, I might be able to assist if you decide to do it yourself. Give me a shout...

I am haunted by waters

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2014, raven, solar, panel, renogy, roof, install, yakima, tracks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users