#1 Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 07:22 PM

Hi all,
I've been a lurker here for a couple of months, stealing ideas.

We bought a Bobcat shell, and picked it up in April. I've been building the interior since. Finally got around to putting up a web page with the story.

So, I'll shut up and let you go there,

http://home.comcast....1/MyCamper.html

Questions or comments are welcome.

I would like to thank those here and the FWC board for the ideas.
Dave Johnson - 2005 Taco ext cab, Bobcat shell, DIY interior.
Retired 2002, living and loving it.
Pleasanton, CA

#2 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:59 PM

Dave, nice job in the interior. I'm fixin' to do mine in white oak nautical style m'self soon.

#3 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:03 PM

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the board....what a great first post.:thumb: Went through all your pages and enjoyed seeing the build thought process. You did put a lot of time into it and it shows. Resale of this camper value goes up.

I was told many years ago that a person bought a FWC shell and made really nice cabinets but they were fastened to the frame too solid. When this person went off-road the camper flexed and tore the mounts out. Just asking if yours is a loose fit to the frame?

Suggestion: Add a click link to this site on your web page

You can also add your link to a signature line from your profile

What part of the PCT did your wife hike?

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#4 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:06 PM

Welcome to the board Dave. That is really nice. You do very good work.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#5 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:48 PM

Nice work. Have Stan and Marty offered you a job?

I think your tie downs are too solid. Things need to move and flex. The purpose of the tie downs is to keep the camper on the truck.

John D

#6 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 13 July 2008 - 12:22 AM

Dave,

I'm absolutely impressed with the quality of your design and work, fantastic job with all aspects of the build. Yours is one of the two best scratch built interiors I've seen posted here, the other being the gent from back east who used the space age foam sandwich material to save weight. His had a similar seating/table arrangement though his table folded upward. I think your seating set up is ideal and I would have loved to do something like it but didn't have the room in our factory built interior. Great write up and information on your site. A hardy Welcome Aboard & keep posting, we love it.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#7 Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 12:32 AM

I was told many years ago that a person bought a FWC shell and made really nice cabinets but they were fastened to the frame too solid. When this person went off-road the camper flexed and tore the mounts out. Just asking if yours is a loose fit to the frame?

Patrick,
Since it's a frame design without any real boxes, it's flimsy. I tried to keep from tying it down too well. SHE was on a jeep trail this week, several catches opened up, but I see no damage. Time will tell, we are not real off-roaders, so I'm more afraid of the six year old grandkid.

Suggestion: Add a click link to this site on your web page

You can also add your link to a signature line from your profile

Tis done.

What part of the PCT did your wife hike?

SHE is part of a group that is hiking the PCT in disconnected steps. This time it was above Lake Tahoe. They do 1-7 day hikes, depending on trailhead access.

Have Stan and Marty offered you a job?

John,
No, but Marty wanted me to build some mounts for them.
I got too much fun stuff going on, and HATE working on somebody elses timetable.

I think your tie downs are too solid. Things need to move and flex. The purpose of the tie downs is to keep the camper on the truck.

John D

What do you think might happen? (I have no clue.)

I saw one picture where the front tie downs pulled out of the bed, didn't like that idea. And the bed bolts, going into that plastic bed are quite a ways away, and bolting thru the plastic bed seems weak. So I went my way. Time will tell.

I'm fixin' to do mine in white oak nautical style m'self soon.

Mark,
Good luck, if you have any questions, send me an email, from my site. Be glad to offer what info I can. And it may give me some more fodder for the website. EDIT: One thing I sort of regret, is using the same species for all the wood, I should have used different ply for the door inserts.

And thanks to the others that have offered a welcome.

EDIT: One other thing about a home brew; it's all screwed together. With my little 3v electric screwdriver, I can disassemble and gut it in less than a day.
Pleasanton, CA

#8 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:52 AM

Dave the links work great.........

Don't know if it is worth it to hike the PCT where the wind is blowing in all that smoke from the fires. Wanted to do a hike today up around Tahoe but choose not to.

Your tie down brackets look like they will work out very well. My two different FWC over the years since 1994 both have been bolted through the floor. But the plastic bed wont cut it. At FWC back in 2007 they came up with metal plates that are tied into the frame to use the tiedowns. I see no different outcome the way you have done yours with the end being a solid place to attach the turnbuckle. Here are a few pictures from Stan.

Keep up the good work and thank you for sharing.

Attached Thumbnails

• TACOMA INSTALL BRACKETS 3.JPG
  • TACOMA INSTALL BRACKETS 5.JPG
  • TACOMA INSTALL BRACKETS 6.JPG
  • TACOMA INSTALL BRACKETS 7.JPG

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#9 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:59 AM

Forgot to add that Les did the same method from Stan at FWC for his bed. Here is his writeup.

http://www.wanderthe...p=7295#post7295

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#10 Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 05:50 AM

Dave the links work great.........

Patrick,
Yep, I'm getting pretty good, after four whole days of web making.:D

Don't know if it is worth it to hike the PCT where the wind is blowing in all that smoke from the fires. Wanted to do a hike today up around Tahoe but choose not to.

SHE said the same thing, and canceled next weeks hike. I came back last Saturday on the train, lots of smoke until Sac.

Your tie down brackets look like they will work out very well. My two different FWC over the years since 1994 both have been bolted through the floor. But the plastic bed wont cut it. At FWC back in 2007 they came up with metal plates that are tied into the frame to use the tiedowns. I see no different outcome the way you have done yours with the end being a solid place to attach the turnbuckle.

The Taco is going to be our only truck pretty soon, (daughter is borrowing little Dodge for a year).

Those steel bars just bother me. Sometimes I need sand, soil or want to slide a load, bars across the bed just don't cut it. (You might get the idea I have OPINIONS!) Besides, I wouldn't trust the bed bolts, unless they are in direct tension, not attached to a bendable bar, that might pry the head off. Since I don't have dimensions on the factory mounts, I can't do any calculations on them. I did check the tensile load limits, and clamping forces, mine will not fail.

Thanks for the picts, and the link. I had not seen FWC's (only verbal description).
Pleasanton, CA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users