41 replies to this topic

#11 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:59 PM

I'm testing an additive that another CTD owner says gets a 2 -4 mpg increase with. I dont want to give up the name until I can prove it to myself. The stuff is from England and its been around since '85. I'm headed up to Phoenix Friday (200 mile rt). That should give me some idea. My buddy claims he got 21 going from Ventura to Flagstaff last week doing 75mph and climbing. I'll let you know.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#12 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:15 PM

I'm stuck at home now for a few days, i'm already bored lookin' for something to do, but I learned the hard way,don't get involved with this.

#13 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:35 PM

Right now, there is no added resale value for a diesel engine vs. gas in a used truck.

Here, for example, is a listing within driving distance of Bend, OR-- F250 CC 4x4.

Which calls one to question, "Why should I buy new vs. (not really that) used?"

We purchased a barely used two year old truck for $20,000 less than the lowest priced new comparable. We didn't get a warranty, which would have cost an additional $2k for 24,000 miles. We can afford to fix a lot of stuff for that load of cabbage.

#14 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:42 PM

Mark,
I paid 28K for my '06 in December of '06 with CTD, autotran, woven vinyl seat,towing package,and not much else. Black plastic grill no power windows doors or seats. My guess is that kind of buy is still out there.

Salty, Stir the pot.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#15 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,028 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:35 PM

I haven't seen what its like lately, but when I was looking for a truck I started looking for used. Thats when I found the resale value for the used Dodges was so high I might as well buy a new one. Diesel prices may have changed that now.

Also with a diesel, if you really had to, you could always dump some straight vegetable oil (svo) in it. Try finding a replacement gasoline source in your kitchen :P

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#16 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:41 PM

Mr. Pueblo, I was going to wait until the pain killers wore off, thinking I could put up a better fight, realize now thats just not possible, they gave me the jumbo jar. Woven vinal seats, crank windows, I can see the school bus connection, it's just what I thought when I looked at the interior of the Dodge. It must bring back fond memories of those 30 wonderful years hasslin' with those Navistar powered school buses.

#17 winter200

winter200

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:45 PM

I agree. Keeping boost pressure down keeps MPG up; however, the cost is slow takeoff and long acceleration phases. Takeoff might be better w/ manual tranny, but I have an auto (for my wife).

Good point on resale.

The new vvt turbos are all computer controlled to try to keep the turbo spooled up. I have not had a chance yet but with programers like efi live you can reprogram to reduce desired boost at different maps. One could leave it alone on the lower gears to maintain takeoff but reduce it in high gear to make the truck "labor" more at highway speeds. Unless one is pulling a big load there is no sense in using everything it has available to run a pickup and box camper.
86 Keystone Chev. 2500 HD CCSB Duramax

#18 winter200

winter200

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:48 PM

Right now, there is no added resale value for a diesel engine vs. gas in a used truck.

Here, for example, is a listing within driving distance of Bend, OR-- F250 CC 4x4.

Which calls one to question, "Why should I buy new vs. (not really that) used?"

We purchased a barely used two year old truck for $20,000 less than the lowest priced new comparable. We didn't get a warranty, which would have cost an additional $2k for 24,000 miles. We can afford to fix a lot of stuff for that load of cabbage.

If you have the money to pay cash its one thing but with the 0% and 100k warranty, there is no way I could justify buying a used one. If one has the cash available it would do you better to get 0% and invest your cash someplace else. There will always be people/companies that need the power of a diesel.
86 Keystone Chev. 2500 HD CCSB Duramax

#19 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:54 AM

I set here waiting to continue the journey next week reading the back and forth about gas/diesel and it makes me wonder what is going on.All rigs have their plus's and minus's.
I for one think we have put ourselves in this position by greed,we want everything in our rigs then complain when they do not live up to was told us by the hype put out by the dealer's, after market suppler's,etc.
I hear about all the problems with turbos, electronic's, fuel,dealer service,having to buy rigs that are not set up the way we want(I'm still sorry i fell into this and bought a new toyo).
This leads to my next thought,which is trust.I do not trust my truck to not break down and not be able to make it back from where ever i'm at when it breaks,yes they run great when they run but are dead when they quit.I feel sorry for people that do not have the experience and physical ability to be able to make sure they can get out of such a spot,when i know that i will not be able to return with out my rig i will quit exploring the back country.
As some of the members remember as i do the days of chevy inline 6,stick shift,no electronics,no ac,(or vw),you get the picture,but no matter what happened we were always able to get the rig back,sometimes it took awhile(bus trip back to the border to get parts,but you knew what it took to get back on the road again.
And yes i use the a.c.,but i still turn it off when i leave the paved road,how can you enjoy the world closed up in a sealed room?
If they would come out with a standard basic truck of the mid 70's i would be the first in line to buy.
So back to my title,the thread still sounds like a p*****g contest!
No one needs some of these rigs for recreation,unless you are towing and then i question it.( i still miss my 4 banger!)
That is my rant for now so i will go back to my porch swing and watch the sun go down!
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les,Lqhikers

#20 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:40 AM

I believe this is more about making the best informed choice when making a very large purchase more than it is a "pissing contest". I rode my mountain bike from Oregon to Montana once. Doesn't get more "back to basics" than that :D

Anywho, I've made my decision, thanks to everyone for their input.

I set here waiting to continue the journey next week reading the back and forth about gas/diesel and it makes me wonder what is going on.All rigs have their plus's and minus's.
I for one think we have put ourselves in this position by greed,we want everything in our rigs then complain when they do not live up to was told us by the hype put out by the dealer's, after market suppler's,etc.
I hear about all the problems with turbos, electronic's, fuel,dealer service,having to buy rigs that are not set up the way we want(I'm still sorry i fell into this and bought a new toyo).
This leads to my next thought,which is trust.I do not trust my truck to not break down and not be able to make it back from where ever i'm at when it breaks,yes they run great when they run but are dead when they quit.I feel sorry for people that do not have the experience and physical ability to be able to make sure they can get out of such a spot,when i know that i will not be able to return with out my rig i will quit exploring the back country.
As some of the members remember as i do the days of chevy inline 6,stick shift,no electronics,no ac,(or vw),you get the picture,but no matter what happened we were always able to get the rig back,sometimes it took awhile(bus trip back to the border to get parts,but you knew what it took to get back on the road again.
And yes i use the a.c.,but i still turn it off when i leave the paved road,how can you enjoy the world closed up in a sealed room?
If they would come out with a standard basic truck of the mid 70's i would be the first in line to buy.
So back to my title,the thread still sounds like a p*****g contest!
No one needs some of these rigs for recreation,unless you are towing and then i question it.( i still miss my 4 banger!)
That is my rant for now so i will go back to my porch swing and watch the sun go down!
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les,Lqhikers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users