• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:11 PM

I cant remember what i typed....but whatever it was it probably wasn't important...I forgot to copy and paste it... :angry:

Edited by Rusty, 18 December 2017 - 04:27 PM.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#42 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:20 PM

Sounds like the start of a great camping rig for you... you have "enough truck" for any 8ft Alaskan or 10' for that matter!

I see your truck has the rear cab door of the "suicide door" style I think, opening at the front of the cab and hinged towards the rear. That, plus the 8ft bed is how you got a 162.5" wheel base. My '88 F250 4x4 has an 8ft bed, is the HD cab Lariat XLT and has 155 inches listed on the door VIN sticker as the wheel base. No rear seating area door, gotta use the front pass tip-up pass seat.

You'll need to practice turning, parking, negotiating gas stations before you get the camper mounted though. I also try to avoid those city and gas station visits during peak hours for that reason...the turning radius is a LOT more!

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#43 Moose Dog

Moose Dog

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:31 AM

I do think the first time I take it to a gas station will be most interesting....also like Canyon noted, a toughie spot is the front right. Right turns are also a learning curve for sure. The backup camera, I could write love sonnets about that!

One thing I'm so grateful for is my very brief stint earning a license to fly a Citabria. 32" wing span total. Totally different bird than the truck - in a lot of ways it was simpler - but that helped with the confidence level a lot. I'm getting in the habit of doing 'pre-flight' walkarounds again. Another useful trick I learned was getting a feel for the engine and brakes whether plane or auto through my feet. If I lived somewhere else sometime else maybe I'd still fly, share a plane with a bunch of folks, , but anyhow I don't and that's how one gets a 1 ton diesel :)

One huge problem now is I have a job! Short trips first, then out more and more...woohooo

F350 xlt 4x4 w/8' CO Alaskan and dog 

#44 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:30 PM

JOB.......WT" ".....???

Interesting comparison....most call it a boat......or a cruiser :D 

pasted

Edited by Rusty, 18 December 2017 - 04:31 PM.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#45 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:42 PM

Just know that on your first few ventures out on the highways and secondary roads without the camper mounted that it is still a TRUCK and should not and does not ride like a BMW. After you have gotten used to driving those roads, then try negotiating the parking lot at Safeway.

Hint: park as far away as possible and look for the WIDE aisles so you can get in/out of a space. I have to make a few back up/go forwards to do that with my 155 in. wheelbase F250 so don't be surprised...just practice without the camper for max visibility!

Then load up your camper and drive the same routes and it will ride much smoother with everything in there.

Have you got your "Idiot List" together yet? Everything that goes out to camp has to be on the list and then a separate notation if it stays in the camper year-round or you have to load it out of the garage.  Maybe even at the beginning you try to note where it is stored in the truck or camper and then amend that list after the first few camping trips. All of us have had at least a few "Doh!" moments where we realized we forgot things like topping off the fresh water or Coleman lantern fuel or BBQ briquettes or extra socks or something we needed out in the boondocks. Add another column so you can check off each item in your "pre-flight" routine before leaving home for a camping trip!

#46 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:36 AM

Keep you bags at around 35# then with the camper....100 psi or so....
I use 120# when loaded

#47 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:32 PM

Keep you bags at around 35# then with the camper....100 psi or so....
I use 120# when loaded

i thought airbags had 100 MAX PSI???

#48 Moose Dog

Moose Dog

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:05 PM

Packrat read my mind...I was literally out and about in the truck on different roads and a parking lot while you were typing. Plus a wee hike of course. Life circumstances have me doing nearby little trips for quite a while so plenty of time for me to get loco with lists and things-to-put-things-in. Laminated, yes! Big fan here.

Rusty you also read my mind with the airbags comment. Was gonna ask...

Maybe DREADNOUGHT instead of BATTLESHIP  ;)

F350 xlt 4x4 w/8' CO Alaskan and dog 

#49 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 04:24 AM

i thought airbags had 100 MAX PSI???

You're right......I'll probably blow up one day.....not yet though

#50 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 23 December 2017 - 01:28 AM

MD....

You may have missed my old post, but here is my "Idiot List" I use for camping. It is something to start with to make yours!

Attached Thumbnails

• The Idiot List.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users