Photo
- - - - -

Galvanic Corrosion - screws, sealant etc.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 27 July 2016 - 01:47 AM

I'm looking at replacing all of the screws on the marker lights of my 2013 Hawk, with whatever is best to avoid galvanic corrosion.

After reading for about 1 week on galvanic corrosion, I'm more confused than ever.   Some people say use stainless steel, others say do not use stainless steel fasteners on aluminum.  Then again others say it's okay if there is no moisture.

When I took a couple of the screws out of my Hawk it appeared that the long marker lights were using 1

" stainless screws to hold the light assembly in place, but none of the other screws were stainless.  The remainder of the screws were attracted to a magnetic.  Perhaps the are galvanized.  But why did some of the ones I took out have rust.

Only the 3 marker lights on the front had sealant on them.  Of course more water gets to the front while driving, but shouldn't all of the screws have received the same treatment.

Anyhow.  I want to know what are the best screws to use. Should sealant be used to cover the screw heads.  What about the threads of the screws. RV sealant seams quite messy and it might make it difficult to get the light covers off again.  Can something else be used.  Are people sealing the covers as well?

Edited by Bill D, 27 July 2016 - 01:49 AM.

#2 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 27 July 2016 - 02:04 AM

the lights have to be grounded to work....so you have a charge running through the metal grounding bar in the plastic frame....if the galvanized screws are touching the metal in the grounding base section and the aluminum siding they will corrode...see the noble chart of metals.  

As far as Stainless goes..there are a number of different grades of SS fasteners....and then there's Chinese.....ugh.  Use Marine grade SS fasteners and apply a small amount of regular silicon to the hole in which they are being placed...it will help to water resist the hole and the fitting, they come out easily.  Covering the head is something I do on my Aluminum boat...basically to protect the head from dirt/debris/fish guts/et al.

don't seal your light covers in place.....they WILL get water in them..one way or another...and if you'll notice, most covers have a small cutout which goes at the bottom for drainage...trapped moisture will cause corrosion and light failure...a loose or sort of loose lens will allow the moisture to evaporate out and not condense

the best you could do...put a small line of regular, clear silicon over the top edge of the cover...extending from the siding the the lens...it will help to keep out "excess" water...better fixtures have thin fiber washers which help seal the fixture but allow evaporated water to release out though hot air pressure

Edited by Rusty, 27 July 2016 - 02:13 AM.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#3 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 02:25 AM

What type of screws does FWC use?

Why did I only find 4 stainless screws out of about 40 screws if marine grade stainless is the way to go.

What were the other screws made of?

There are so many galvanic charts.  Can somebody post one that they think is a good chart to reference.

Edited by Bill D, 27 July 2016 - 02:26 AM.

#4 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:05 AM

Isn't galvanic corrosion a result of 2 different metals in direct contact?  Think of a water heater.  You get galvanic corrosion on copper that's connected directly to galvanized pipe.  The sell nipples that have plastic washers so the metals don't touch.  I would assume that's the same issue you have with the screws.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#5 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:10 AM

Search for a Galvanic Potential chart. Some will list the electron-volt potential of various metals in order, others just list them from most anodic to most cathodic. You can look at the two metals that you're considering using together and get a qualitative and/or quantitative idea of how incompatible or compatible they are. The further apart they are in the list, the less compatible they are. It is important to know which alloys are in question are because different alloys of the same base metal appear in different locations in the list. Most aluminum extrusions, like the square tube used in camper frames, are 6063 T6. Stainless fasteners are commonly quoted as being "18-8" stainless. Rarely is a stainless fastener made from some other alloy. In the more common alloy designation scheme that translates to being AISI 304 stainless. Note the Chromium and Nickel percentages in 304 SST: http://matweb.com/se...37098da&ckck=  18% and 8% respectively.

Two different metals in dry contact won't make a battery, but add an electrolyte or even pure water and you have a battery.

EDIT: Decided to see what I could find. We hear "Mil-spec" all of the time, but I found the MIL-STD dealing with this (MIL-STD-889): http://quicksearch.d...C418F2E185A.pdf with the latest Change Notice (for Page 4) (1993): http://quicksearch.d...D38986C3177.pdf Included in this document are definitions, recommended practices, etc.

Edited by ntsqd, 27 July 2016 - 04:18 AM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#6 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:50 AM

gallery_5772_2_510950.jpg

gallery_5772_2_1517418.jpg

On one thread on this forum I read that FWC uses:

C1022-grade steel with a Climaseal organometallic polymer coating over base coat of non-electrolytically applied zinc

Although a mouthful, this makes sense to me.

Steel = strong screw (not to far from aluminum on the galvanic table)

zinc = sacrificial to the aluminum (so the aluminum does not corrode, the zinc does)

Climaseal = minimizes risk to zinc coating while installing the faster in addition to corrosion resistance

Now giving that the zinc coating is sacrificial it makes sense that these screws get replaced periodically.

I want to change them all, because I am not the original owner of my Hawk.  I want to ensure all the screws are correct and fresh.  As you can see, I had to do a repair.  This may have been my doing from changing a ground screw to a plain metal screw.

Initially I noticed a bit of corrosion underneath the marker light and as you can see when I took the light off, it was pretty bad.  I fabricated some aluminum checker plate and sealed with RV sealant (not silicone).

I went to a specialty fastener shop and ended up taking stainless steel screws home.  That is what I am using right now.

I really just want to replace the screws once and even if I have to do it again in a few years I'm fine.

I'm personally not comfortable with stainless because I know it wins over aluminum.  I'd rather replace screws than repair more aluminum on my Hawk.

Edited by Bill D, 27 July 2016 - 05:12 AM.

#7 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:45 PM

FWIW:  NTSQD is correct on this (see his post above), Two different metals in dry contact won't make a battery, but add an electrolyte or even pure water (humidity, fog, rain) and you have a battery which leads to corrosion.

Here are some useful links:

http://www.airforums...inum-49955.html

https://www.fastenal...- Corrosion.pdf

https://www.galvaniz...th-other-metals

Read these carefully before using stainless with Aluminum.  

Seems to me that Aluminum (for sure - same galvanic potential), Zinc plated or Galvanized steel fasteners are a better choice for attaching to the Aluminum frame of the camper.

Regards,

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 27 July 2016 - 11:05 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#8 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 28 July 2016 - 12:41 AM

Seeing the damage done above makes me question the very common practice of grounding lights like that thru the camper's frame. Which sends some voltage right thru that "battery." I think that I'd want a dedicated grounding system that does not include the camper's frame in it. That might be over-the-top, but I'd sure feel better about it.

Edited by ntsqd, 28 July 2016 - 01:05 PM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#9 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:30 AM

Seeing the damage done above makes me question the very common practice of grounding lights like that thru the camper's frame. Which sends some voltage right thru that "battery." I think that I'd want a dedicated grounding system that does not include the camper's frame in it. That might be over-the-top, but I'd sure fell better about it.

Totally agree.  Kind of lame to use the frame.  

For those folks who have redone their campers or seen them during construction, is it possible to "fish" more wires?   Or use the existing ones to pull new ones in?

Vic

#10 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:47 AM

...For those folks who have redone their campers or seen them during construction, is it possible to "fish" more wires? Or use the existing ones to pull new ones in?...

From the minor projects I've done, it looks like you would have to remove some skin to get access to fish in the frame. On my older (97) camper there are holes drilled through the square frame tubing for wires. Newer campers the same?

No wire pulls with old wires or fish tape, I think.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users