#31 JBahr

JBahr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 05 August 2016 - 12:12 AM

FWC stated  that it is virtually impossible for it to break, even in years to come. "The force used to try to break the panel goes well beyond what anyone could use on their camper in a real life situation even with weight on the roof"  

I call BS on this statement.  I personally know of one that snapped as it was being raised. This person was pushing entirely on the locking bar instead of the roof push panel.

If I had to guess what was wrong I would say that the hinge slot was cut too deep and left the attaching portion too thin.  Throw a micrometer on there and compare it to others that don't have any problem.

Jason Bahr  "Former" Design Engineer Four Wheel Campers, Inc.

#32 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:53 PM

I call BS on this statement.  I personally know of one that snapped as it was being raised. This person was pushing entirely on the locking bar instead of the roof push panel.

If I had to guess what was wrong I would say that the hinge slot was cut too deep and left the attaching portion too thin.  Throw a micrometer on there and compare it to others that don't have any problem.

Consider this:

'FWC stated  that it is virtually impossible for it to break, even in years to come. "The force used to try to break the panel goes well beyond what anyone could use on their camper in a real life situation even with weight on the roof"  .

I read this as FWC was verifying that the panels could support the rated weight limit allowed on the roof of a FWC....

Pushing the top up incorrectly could well bend the back [or front] panel?  But that is not a design or materials weakness; only, operator error.

So you might to 'pic-up' your penalty flag...time will tell.   :D

Phil

#33 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:35 PM

Was it the new or old style panel? 

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#34 JBahr

JBahr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:40 AM

Was it the new or old style panel? 

It was a new composite panel.  

Consider this:

'FWC stated  that it is virtually impossible for it to break, even in years to come. "The force used to try to break the panel goes well beyond what anyone could use on their camper in a real life situation even with weight on the roof"  .

I read this as FWC was verifying that the panels could support the rated weight limit allowed on the roof of a FWC....

Pushing the top up incorrectly could well bend the back [or front] panel?  But that is not a design or materials weakness; only, operator error.

So you might to 'pic-up' your penalty flag...time will tell.   :D

Phil

This was a real life situation, granted it was still operator error, but this guy was still able to create the amount of force needed to break the composite panel.  If used correctly you will never have a problem, but to state that it is "virtually impossible to break" is false.  And I'm sure there a lot people out there that are pushing up the roof incorrectly.

The penalty flag shall remain!

Jason Bahr  "Former" Design Engineer Four Wheel Campers, Inc.

#35 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 06 August 2016 - 04:51 PM

It was a new composite panel.  

This was a real life situation, granted it was still operator error, but this guy was still able to create the amount of force needed to break the composite panel.  If used correctly you will never have a problem, but to state that it is "virtually impossible to break" is false.  And I'm sure there a lot people out there that are pushing up the roof incorrectly.

The penalty flag shall remain!

OK, whatever.  No belly bumping from me....the word "virtually" differs from "never".  I personally have never found a system or device that I could not screw up by my ineptitude.   :D

Phil

#36 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:23 PM

My panel was used correctly and did develop a crease in it. I never used the push bar to raise the top, but I do think the hinge was binding. My dealer replaced the panel. Ymmv of course.

Charlie

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West
Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#37 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:46 PM

We have some of the early lift panels, November 2012, with over 500 camping nights and 600+ load cycles (up/down). 

The good:  no failures.

The bad:  a little deformation (bend) at the top rivet row with no changes in the past year.

My theory: the machine cut at the top of the lift panels to recess the hinge significantly weakens the panel.  The lower panel hinge mount has no machine cut and no bend.  Lift panel load ratings FWC may report would be based on uncut panels since FWC would not have the resources to cycle load to failure a machine cut panel.  Also, any operator lapse during cutting the recess for the upper hinge would contribute to unexpected bending/failure.  

#38 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:13 AM

We have some of the early lift panels, November 2012, with over 500 camping nights and 600+ load cycles (up/down). 

The good:  no failures.

The bad:  a little deformation (bend) at the top rivet row with no changes in the past year.

My theory: the machine cut at the top of the lift panels to recess the hinge significantly weakens the panel.  The lower panel hinge mount has no machine cut and no bend.  Lift panel load ratings FWC may report would be based on uncut panels since FWC would not have the resources to cycle load to failure a machine cut panel.  Also, any operator lapse during cutting the recess for the upper hinge would contribute to unexpected bending/failure.  

Can you post a photo of your lift panel?  Is your panel recessed? I was told that some earlier panels were not recessed. 

Edited by super doody, 08 August 2016 - 04:23 AM.

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#39 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:33 AM

super doody,  sorry for no reply but we are on the road with and without cell contact.  Our panel tops are cut to recess the upper hinge and have a slight bend of around 1/16" off true only at the top where the recess cut is.  A picture can not capture that small amount of bend since the panels are flat black in color and a picture can not capture the recess cut which is hidden in back.  We do not worry about the panels but FWC would do well to figure how to mount the lift panels without a cut.

#40 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 17 August 2016 - 02:48 AM

JaSAn,

Where do you secure the 2x4s? All four corners? Any pictures?

I'm thinking it might be a good practice during winter camping, mainly to support snow loads.

Sorry this took so long.  I didn't have any pictures.  Finally got to take some today.

Front roof support.jpg rear roof support.jpg

2X4 cut to size for a tight fit, with felt glued to both ends; nothing fancy.  My ceiling is 1/8" paneling, but 2X4 can be positioned under the front and rear frame rails.  PO rebuilt front lift panels with hardboard; not rigid enough.  Back lift panels are original ('78); brittle and delaminating.  Will be replacing both this winter.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users