Gps selection

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Bat

Bat

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:06 AM

I have been wanting a handheld Gps for hiking and 4x4 trails, I am really in the dark on this stuff. Do you guy's use Gps when you go camping or maps or both. I would like to try and find something in the $200 range and pick up some good maps for off road trails.

#2 Rockjok

Rockjok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:50 AM

I use a Garmin Ique 3600. It's actually a palm based pda but has built in gps. It's "old" technology but is now relatively inexpensive. With a 2 GB SD card I have several hundred ebooks on it and it also works well as an mp3 player.

The included maps are vector or "line" maps and, even with delorme upgrades, have very few gravel roads. I use a program called Pathaway that allows you georeference any scanned or downloaded map for use as a moving map display. USGS topo maps can be imported and georeferenced automatically. I keep a database with of good campsites in the unit.

Battery life isn't great but higher capacity batts are available as well as AA battery packs and 12 v vehicle adapters. There are probably better units out there but I like being able to use my own scanned maps for off pavement.

I usually carry atlas type topo maps in my travels. Note that delorme "gazetteer" atlas are notoriously inaccurate!! I've found many places where a well established road was shown in the wrong place so beware. The newer Benchmark atlas' is GREAT. While they only have a few western states at present, the different scales and good shaded relief make them very easy to use. Also, they don't end abruptly at state borders like the crappy gazetteer maps.

Just my opinion (s),

Rob

#3 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:34 PM

I too would be curious what people are using. Been thinking about getting GPS for long time and just can't seem to pull the trigger for some reason. I did some research awhile back and these got favorable reviews:

http://www.amazon.co...sl_4xwybae677_e

Though they've come down in the past 6 months, they're still a bit pricey.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#4 winter200

winter200

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:47 PM

I use the Lowrance I finder Hunt. I like it. Mine is not color which in my mind is better because with the color units you need to have the back light on all the time to see the screen. The color is way easier to see read but burns through the batteries. I like the lowrance just becasue of the fact one can get detailed lake maps via the chip. You can also get the lowrance software and make your own maps for the chip. The explorer is a good unit also but doesn't have all the options.
86 Keystone Chev. 2500 HD CCSB Duramax

#5 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 01 August 2008 - 04:38 PM

It doesn't matter what brand of gps you use, but be sure to get one that has the UTM coordinate system. Longitude/Latitude was designed for use over water....for land travel, UTM is much better, as it is a 1000 meter square grid.

I use mine for hunting remote country. I use the gps in conjuction with 7 1/2 minute topo maps. I order my maps with the UTM grids printed on them. Most all topo maps have the UTM tic marks, and you can use waterproof ink and draw in the lines yourself.

I consider the gps as gravy.....a luxury. Be sure to do your map and compass work as well, since your gps could go down on you....and you need to know how to navigate with map and compass. The gps saves you a lot of steps....it is a wonderful device.

#6 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 01 August 2008 - 04:38 PM

I have an older Garmin Vista. It works well hiking, but I always carry 2 spare sets of batteries because it's a power hog.

Generally speaking, consumer GPS receivers are all about the same in terms of accuracy (something like < 5 meters 90%, < 2 meters 60%; I don't remember). Granted, antennas make a difference, but see below.

When I buy my next GPS, these are the things I'll look for:
  • External antenna jack (my Garmin can't "see" through the roof of my truck. And I need to hold it fairly close to read the tiny screen, but to get satellites, it rests on my dash...)
  • Large color screen (so I can read the unit a bit farther away)
  • Large memory, preferably removable media (e.g SD card) (Do you have any idea how big the terrain map for the Grand Canyon is?)
  • Intelligent navigation: my Garmin requires getting within 10 meters or so (I think) of a way-point before it's sequenced and the unit begins navigating to the next point. This sucks. I then have to manually sequence it (which, really, is a complicated work around process). Do not underestimate the importance of this feature: I will be flexible with the other bullet points, but nt this one.

That's my $0.02.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#7 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 01 August 2008 - 04:49 PM

get one that has the UTM coordinate system. Longitude/Latitude was designed for use over water....for land travel, UTM is much better, as it is a 1000 meter square grid.

Most GPS units provide position info in multiple systems. UTM is fine, but with modern GPSs (i.e. moving maps and terrain databases) and mapping tools (Google Earth) I find lat/lon DDM (Degrees Decimal Minutes) easier to remember while copying from one tool to another. Granted, much of this can be automated by a USB cable....

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#8 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:13 PM

I purchased a Delorme PN-20 bundled with Topo USA 6.0 software. It has a rechargeable battery or can use 2 AA batteries. With the optional "travel kit" you can power it and recharge the battery from a 12V cigar lighter plug. It has 1GB internal memory and an SD card slot which will accept upto a 1GB cards. You can use a PC with a USB port to upload Delorme's topo maps to it and download waypoints and tracks you saved on the handheld to the PC.

Like Scott I would really like an external antenna and larger screen for use in the truck, but for a handheld it's a good one.

#9 Bat

Bat

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:28 PM

I was also looking at the Garmin but the 60cs which has 56mb of internal memory. It does not have a card slot but I was thinking that 56mb of space should be enough for me. It is a discontinued model and trying to figure out what maps I can down load to it and for $200.00 it is in my price range. The Delorme sounds good also and they will bring out the PN40 soon that is suppose to be pretty cool.

#10 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:03 PM

fyi: see this old post for info on MAPS!
http://www.wanderthe...hread.php?t=367
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users