KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#2 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:42 AM

neat article and they are really out enjoying that camper.  Hope to take ours to some of those places too.  

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#3 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:03 AM

Interesting that they--and Hallmark--put it on a Power Wagon which Ram specifically forbids. They did add airbags and a rear sway bar although I'm sure the combo exceeds the GVWR and returns dreadful fuel mileage. The combo must work okay given how much they use it. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#4 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:40 PM

Bigfoot-

Don't you think that every TC that uses a Tacoma is over their GVW? For that matter most half tons exceed their gvwr's as well..

Life is a trade off sometimes.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#5 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:05 PM

Interesting that they--and Hallmark--put it on a Power Wagon which Ram specifically forbids. They did add airbags and a rear sway bar although I'm sure the combo exceeds the GVWR and returns dreadful fuel mileage. The combo must work okay given how much they use it. 

I know what you're saying.  That rig came by us on I70 on our way to Moab this past spring.  I thought, that's a Power Wagon and it has a camper hanging off the back even.  I paced the rig for a bit but he was going over 80mi/hr and my gas mileage falls of a cliff over 75mi/hr so I backed off.  I read that the truck has air bags and a rear sway bar.    I think Andy at Hallmark had a Power Wagon for a while and had the camper on for their Moab pics.  The Power Wagon is an amazing rig but a stock 1ton would be a better choice 99% of the time.

#6 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:21 AM

Bigfoot-

Don't you think that every TC that uses a Tacoma is over their GVW? For that matter most half tons exceed their gvwr's as well..

Life is a trade off sometimes.

There's trade-offs and there's risky choices. The Taco is a tough little truck that can take some extra weight. I borrowed one that was 1500 lbs over GVWR and although it was woefully underpowered it drove okay (it had suspension mods). In contrast the Power Wagon is intended for off-road articulation, not load, and can be dangerous with a camper. Suspension mods would help but go against the design. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#7 sourdough

sourdough

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Location(805)

Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:25 PM

Overloading? Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

2013 Tiger CX Ram 3500 diesel 4x4

#8 DoGMAtix

DoGMAtix

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 05:39 AM

I have to concur with Bigfoot, but that Power Wagon sure does look like a great truck for off road driving. We're getting our 2500 CTD prepared for more rugged terrain, unfortunately we'll have to get skid plates custom fabricated to protect the gas tank and transfer case (they factory make them for power wagons, but not 2500s  :( ). And the winch in the Power Wagon's front bumper is pretty slick, too. For now we're packing a compressor to air down when things get rough, and a shovel. Maybe a winch is in our future. No regrets about going with a 3/4 ton diesel truck and slightly smaller camper (Hallmark Guanella). Maybe if we didn't have 3 year old twins we'd be in a Power Wagon with a Flip Pac on back. That setup would off-road like a dream. 15 years till the urchins are fledged, then we'll see!

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L CTD short bed quad cab, 2008 Hallmark Guanella

#9 UHAULER

UHAULER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNevada City, Ca

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:33 PM

There's trade-offs and there's risky choices. The Taco is a tough little truck that can take some extra weight. I borrowed one that was 1500 lbs over GVWR and although it was woefully underpowered it drove okay (it had suspension mods). In contrast the Power Wagon is intended for off-road articulation, not load, and can be dangerous with a camper. Suspension mods would help but go against the design. 

So you are saying that a Tacoma 1,500# over gross is ok while a power wagon with huge axles,brakes,frame,etc. is not suitable, even with the suspension modified to haul a camper ?

2003 Ford f150 supercrew

1998 Ford E350 van

2012 yz250

#10 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:02 AM

The point is that removing the flex from the suspension in order to carry a camper is counter to what the Power Wagon is really good at, rock crawling.  The article says they remove the camper and use the truck that way during trips.  This makes more sense for a Power Wagon than full timing the camper on.

Edited by enelson, 14 September 2016 - 03:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users