#11 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:39 PM

Interesting topic..

I have a '16 Hawk on an '05 Tundra AC 4X4 SR5...Firestone airbags and Heliwig sway bar...the truck w/Hawk and mods actually corners and handles better that when I had just a shell..corners like a dream and no swaying.

I have Toyo ATII "C" rated [had them when I bought the Hawk, will go "E" next time] and I set the airbag pressure to raise the rear wheel well height to 35" to match front height...not surprisingly the left air bag requires more pressure than right to level the vehicle...around 41 psi left and 29 psi right..assume 26 gallons of fuel on left is the game changer and most of the Hawk built-in appliances are on the left...only twin batteries on right.

My '05 Tundra has drum rear brakes, to bad, but that is what it is....only felt difference when carrying the Hawk is a longer stopping distance needs to be anticipated.

Phil

#12 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:04 PM

I was under the Tundra yesterday looking at this set up. What a Rube Goldberg contraption! This whole thing suspended on a light steel tube in mid-air over the axle? Bizarre! I'm new to 'Yota's and they do some unusual stuff for sure.

#13 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 28 October 2016 - 01:51 AM

I was under the Tundra yesterday looking at this set up. What a Rube Goldberg contraption! This whole thing suspended on a light steel tube in mid-air over the axle? Bizarre! I'm new to 'Yota's and they do some unusual stuff for sure.

To what are you referring?

Thom

Where does that road go?

#14 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:59 AM

Interesting topic..

I have a '16 Hawk on an '05 Tundra AC 4X4 SR5...Firestone airbags and Heliwig sway bar...the truck w/Hawk and mods actually corners and handles better that when I had just a shell..corners like a dream and no swaying.

I have Toyo ATII "C" rated [had them when I bought the Hawk, will go "E" next time] and I set the airbag pressure to raise the rear wheel well height to 35" to match front height...not surprisingly the left air bag requires more pressure than right to level the vehicle...around 41 psi left and 29 psi right..assume 26 gallons of fuel on left is the game changer and most of the Hawk built-in appliances are on the left...only twin batteries on right.

My '05 Tundra has drum rear brakes, to bad, but that is what it is....only felt difference when carrying the Hawk is a longer stopping distance needs to be anticipated.

Phil

If you wanted disc breaks on the back you can do a Sequoia conversion. 

#15 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:21 PM

To what are you referring?

The entire brake lever doodad for the proportioning valve.

#16 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 01 November 2016 - 12:34 AM

Ah! I'm not sure exactly what the circuitry looks like, but next time you're under there notice that there is a bleed nipple on it. That is actually part of the FRONT brake circuit & should be bled before bleeding the calipers and after the rear brakes.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#17 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 02 November 2016 - 06:34 AM

Just bought a 2006 Tundra double cab. I'm getting ready to add Firestone air bags to it.

Has anyone here adjusted the proportioning valve to compensate for leveling the truck with a load on it.

I've read this needs to be done with a lift not sure about leveling.

The brakes on this truck are decent but not great. I would like to use all the braking that's availableI 

Have the same truck and carry the camper full time. i will adjust the bpv and report findings. BTW, E load tires will make your truck handle even better and provides add protection while driving off road. 

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#18 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 07 November 2016 - 01:05 AM

If you wanted disc breaks on the back you can do a Sequoia conversion. 

Just saw this..thanks..but what is a "Sequoia Conversion"?

With my Hawk permanently on the '05 Tundra I drive a lot slower to compensate for the momentum created by the added weight...but Discs in rear would be nice!

Phil

#19 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 07 November 2016 - 01:19 AM

I suspect it is using the rear discs off the Toyota Sequoia to convert the truck.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#20 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:56 PM

I finally got around to looking at this closer. I measured the height of my truck at the rear wheel well while the truck was empty with 5psi in the airbags. That's my empty load setting. Firestone says to not run them empty. Anyway right at 27". I loaded the camper and the truck sank right at about 2". with 25psi in the airbags I was right back at about stock height. That seems to be about right for carrying the camper.

So at 2" difference I am probably a candidate for one of the aftermarket brackets they use for a 2" lift to raise the whole LSPV assembly at the axle. I may make or pick one up.

In the meantime I adjusted the doohicky on the axle all the way up which is about an inch. The difference was immediate. Not only is the braking with the camper noticeably better. But the pedal feels better as well.

I live on a big hill surrounded by 2 creeks that join around the corner. To leave home I have to basically go down and back up a 1/2 mile long 10% grade. Lot's of curves and hills here. Great for load and brake testing! If I have a Brake issue I'll know it before I hit the main county road!

Edited by Squatch, 16 January 2017 - 12:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users