• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:26 PM

Just got back from a nice little beach camping vacation at El Capitan State Beach. My apologies for not mentioning I'd be in the neighborhood, but we had a very busy trip...

Started out at Lake Perris SRA. Never camp with boaters. Picked up a daughter from LAX, then on to El Capitan for four nights on the beach. And broke up the return with a night in Idyllwild (pictured).

I completely failed in the picture department. Just a few.

In the picture, the camper is level, but doesn't look like it. We put the tent up at 11PM-ish. Easy with the floods. I hardly ever use them, but they work great when I need them.

I replaced the porch and awning lights with LEDs. They worked great. Accidentally left the porch light on a time or two with little effect; maybe 2 amps total? Maybe 0.2? By the time I noticed the panel was pumping.

Speaking of which, It's great to simply turn on a fan and not worry about how much juice it's drawing. If the sun is up, the panel will run a fan.

Sadly, after depleting my old battery twice, it was no longer holding a charge. So I upgrade the Interstate DCM75 to a DCM90. I bought it on the way out of town and installed it in the first camp site. PITA, but only took 15 minutes. It's about 20% more juice for the same price as the 75. It's a 27 series so it's larger, but -- I think -- worth it.

A couple thoughts from this trip: the camper is SO small. Quite a few times I wished we had a trailer camper or a BIG camper w/ a slide (on a dually, of course!). BUT, it's a wonderful camper. The moment I had to back the thing through pines in the dark (dumb mistake on my part), I forgave it. Driving it through LA was a breeze. Nothing has this maneuverability, save a smaller camper.

Why is it so small? 6 people. I'm really looking forward to an upcoming trip where it's just my wife, youngest, and me! How roomy the camper will be without the extra gear!

Super frustrating: the Little Camper got his fingers smashed in the folder! Luckily, he'll be fine in a few days. If I were starting from scratch, I'd skip the folder and do a different seat back.

Anyway this brings me to 11 nights this year for a grand total of 18 nights in the camper.

Pics:
  • Little Camper in the door
  • group camp
  • The beach!
  • idyllwild

Attached Thumbnails

• idyllwild_2.jpg
  • idyllwild_3.jpg
  • idyllwild_4.jpg
  • idyllwild.jpg

Edited by ScottBailey, 29 June 2009 - 10:38 PM.
fixed photos; typo

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#42 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:25 PM

Scotty,
Campelito looks none the worst for wear that kid is way cute. But you blew it. There was free fish and beer to be had from TT and Sun San. MMMMMMMMMM CI Ale

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#43 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:52 PM

Everything seems small when you have kids and have to take most of the free World's consumer goods with you. :)

Are we there yet? :D Daddy...I have to pee...:rolleyes:
Wherever ya go...there ya are.

#44 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:01 PM

Scotty,
Campelito looks none the worst for wear that kid is way cute. But you blew it. There was free fish and beer to be had from TT and Sun San. MMMMMMMMMM CI Ale

Not too far from our neck of the woods at all...out of curiosity, how far in advance did you make your reservations? Were you there mid-week? That place is next to impossible to get into...on weekends anyway.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#45 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:43 AM

We had an RV spot. Booked mid January I think. Our friends booked the group site on the first day. There were RV SPOTS available every night we were there. But not as nice as the group or mixed. However, the RV spots were quieter! We slept in the camper, but "lived" in the group site. We arrived Sunday, but our friends made it out Thursday.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB

#46 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:51 AM

Not too far from our neck of the woods at all...out of curiosity, how far in advance did you make your reservations? Were you there mid-week? That place is next to impossible to get into...on weekends anyway.

El Capitan is just down the road from me. I often take the dogs near the area of Gaviota State park for the day. Because high tide was mid-day this past weekend, we didn't go there.

Edited by EdoHart, 30 June 2009 - 12:58 AM.

#47 Alaskan Snowbirds

Alaskan Snowbirds

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • LocationJuneau, Alaska

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:29 AM

Scott,

This last post prompted me to go back through your whole thread and I enjoyed it a lot. I had been through parts of it but hadn't gone start to finish and I picked up a few new tidbits like the reference to Mark's water pillow, your shovel mount, the pin for the fridg etc. Lots of good reference...thanks!

The beach trip looks like it was a fun one...always enjoy seeing pics of "The Little Camper"...makes me smile:p

In one of the pics it looks like there's a solar oven set up...yes? If so, does it work pretty well? Is there a range of outside temperature where it works best???

Happy Trails!
'birds
Duane & Susan 2007 Dodge 2500 4X4 Hemi - 2008 FWC Grandby

#48 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:19 AM

Scott,

This last post prompted me to go back through your whole thread and I enjoyed it a lot. I had been through parts of it but hadn't gone start to finish and I picked up a few new tidbits like the reference to Mark's water pillow, your shovel mount, the pin for the fridg etc. Lots of good reference...thanks!

The beach trip looks like it was a fun one...always enjoy seeing pics of "The Little Camper"...makes me smile:p

In one of the pics it looks like there's a solar oven set up...yes? If so, does it work pretty well? Is there a range of outside temperature where it works best???

Happy Trails!
'birds

Thanks for the compliment!

While I'm thinking about it: my shovel has ridden about 1300 miles in this mount. I'm calling it good. Someday, maybe, I'll replace the wood screws.

Also, bolt through is the ONLY way. No worries about the camper at all.

On to the oven. But first, some background. We camped with some families from my wife's "mom's lists". A number of which were girl scout leaders. Very organized camping with group cooking and activities. We'd never camped with them before, so had no idea what to expect -- that's why I just skipped mentioning our plans.

So, that is indeed an oven, although NOT solar. It's a "box oven". Here's a link. Basically the box reflects and contains the heat from some charcoal. We had brownies.

As a child, we lived in Anchorage for a number of years. I can't tell you how many attempts I made to heat food with the sun! With highs in the 60's it never worked.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB

#49 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:24 PM

Sunny Pam and I have lucked out a number of times by hitting the Captain on Wednesday. Having said that it is a long way to go for nobody home.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#50 Alaskan Snowbirds

Alaskan Snowbirds

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • LocationJuneau, Alaska

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:59 PM

...bolt through is the ONLY way. No worries about the camper at all.

I've been hearing that from you guys that have more experience with the campers off road than I do. pvstoy had a write-up of his experience with bolt through that was pretty convincing too.

I like having the cheap/easy to fix part be the weak link and I haven't had any problem installing/checking the turnbuckles so far but (with the camper) I've only gone steep or deep off road (and little of that), not rough. If the turnbuckles get to be a problem I'll look at bolt through (though I'd be likely to add some kind of dashpot in the system somewhere if I do go that route).

Edit: After thinking about this a little a spring (like a rubber doughnut or even an old piece of conveyor belt) would be better than a dashpot/shock absorber since the shock absorber wouldn’t “recover” and would probably allow too much slack in the system.

...It's a "box oven". Here's a link. Basically the box reflects and contains the heat from some charcoal....

Cool! Seems like something I could have some fun playing with too, just like the rest of the 'scouts :)

...As a child, we lived in Anchorage for a number of years...

We spent summer '74 through fall '75 in Anchorage. Took some classes at UAA but they didn't offer much in engineering then so went to UAF to finish up my BSCE. Fairbanks is my favorite but had to compromise with Juneau to get back to AK ;)

Happy Trails!
'birds

Edited by Alaskan Snowbirds, 06 July 2009 - 06:49 PM.
Rethought it.

Duane & Susan 2007 Dodge 2500 4X4 Hemi - 2008 FWC Grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users