Pros and Cons of Work Trucks?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#11 srileo

srileo

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:39 PM

Are work trucks more likely to be in single cab configuration vs crew cab?

#12 LiveLifeNow

LiveLifeNow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 01:13 AM

Are work trucks more likely to be in single cab configuration vs crew cab?

I've been looking at Chevy Silverado 2500HDs, and they mostly come with crew cabs and double cabs. Also, with regard to available colors, the large majority of work trucks come only in white.

#13 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 17 September 2016 - 02:21 AM

We have a number of private fire crews that purchase stripped down trucks.  They buy grey crew cabs.

#14 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 17 September 2016 - 02:28 AM

Chevrolet has a Silverado WT trim level.  That all work truck means.

In the old days the Chevy Scotsdale was the WT.

#15 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 5,001 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:43 AM

I've been looking at Chevy Silverado 2500HDs, and they mostly come with crew cabs and double cabs. Also, with regard to available colors, the large majority of work trucks come only in white.

what year 2500HD are you looking at?  I just bought a 2002 with 8.1L and Allison.  Love it

#16 LiveLifeNow

LiveLifeNow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:23 PM

what year 2500HD are you looking at?  I just bought a 2002 with 8.1L and Allison.  Love it

I am buying a 2016 6.0 Liter gas model. After considering used Siverados, I decided to splurge a bit and buy new, taking advantage of the warranties to let the Chevy dealers worry about any mechanical problems, not to mention the free Road Assistance option. (They will even drive out to where you are to fix a flat??!!)

I considered buying a 1/2 ton then went with a 3/4 ton, mostly for safety reasons. The mpg will be higher in a 3/4 ton, but I can handle it financially.

I am in my mid-60s, just recovered (hopefully) from a serious illness and decided, what the hell, why sit at home when I can hit the road and see the vast areas of this beautiful North American continent which I have never seen?

In a few weeks I will have my used Hawk installed, and then I am out the door. Yee haw!!!

Edited by LiveLifeNow, 18 September 2016 - 04:24 PM.

#17 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:57 PM

Work Truck options?

Cruise control, A/C, Tilt wheel
At my place of employment we buy through fleet programs almost exclusively and that's how we option them. That option set usually gets you power door locks too, but not always. According to our fleet mgr. it's those features that also make the difference come resale time. In my experience the work truck trim usually comes tow package equipped as standard too. Both my professional vehicle, a four door crew cab, and my big personal pickup are fleet sourced and do me just fine. IMO a lot of trim level is just that, "Trim" if you can deal with bland looks, vinyl and rubber vs cloth and carpet and are more interested it what your truck is equipped to do rather than how it looks then a WT truck should be fine. In all fairness my current job truck did come with cloth seats both front and rear. I didn't choose them, it's just how it showed up.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#18 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 06:55 PM

I am buying a 2016 6.0 Liter gas model.
I am in my mid-60s, just recovered (hopefully) from a serious illness and decided, what the hell, why sit at home when I can hit the road and see the vast areas of this beautiful North American continent which I have never seen?

In a few weeks I will have my used Hawk installed, and then I am out the door. Yee haw!!!

Good for you! I'm glad you are feeling better. Honestly, I don't think there is any better medicine than getting outdoors, getting exercise at your pace and listening to your body.
I'm glad you now have the opportunity to discover places you have never seen. Another thing that keeps us living and feeling alive.

I like your member name "LiveLifeNow". No matter what age we are that's a great rule to live by.

Back on topic... What sort of trim level did you get with your new truck. Hopefully you start a thread and post pics of your truck and FWC. A great point of discussion would be 3/4T WT vs 1/2T with options.

Edited by Bill D, 18 September 2016 - 06:59 PM.

#19 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:09 PM

15 years ago, I worked in new truck sales (Dodge dealer). I recall the features on the unit that was advertised in the news paper "1/2 tons starting from..." I didn't even know you could trucks THIS basic.
6 cylinder
Vinyl bench seat
Steel wheels
No radio
No antennae for the radio (just a plug in the body of the truck to fill the hole)
Manual transmission
Rubber floor
No rear bumper

The only feature I can recall was tilt steering

That being said, many of us customize our trucks and something like this can be a great platform to start with.
I'd love to have a custom bumper with a built in step along with the ability to tow etc, etc.

#20 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:20 PM

We special ordered a "work truck" or base trim.  We wanted a regular cab long bed for our 8' Granby for maximum living space (Granby) and shortest wheel base (reg cab).  We optioned cruise control, trailer tow package, cloth seats, V-8, and payload package (8200 gvwr up from 7200lb).  The only thing we miss is window tint to reduce solar heating.  Love the vinyl floor for easy sweep out.  Love the hand crank windows since I hate putting the key in the switch to move the windows.  Trading low trim or work trucks will cost you a few dollars.  High trim/low mile vehicles trade best.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users