Photo

A 79 C/O Alaskan with some improvements.

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#51 ShackBait

ShackBait

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:24 PM

Thanks for that guys. I'll get all the silicone off around the vent in the spring somehow and use the bruytl stuff and a proper sealant. Gonna call Alaskan and order a whack of o rings so I have spares and put the right ones in. For now it's dry and warm. I have a little space heater in there on low but I think I read Rusty suggest just a light bulb to keep it dry. That would be more efficient. Great source of info here guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

#52 Willys Addict

Willys Addict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationParksville B.C.

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:48 PM

The O rings are a standard size, I can get you the number, but I had one cylinder that has gone eccentric from years of use, I was going to try and find quad rings to give it an extra seal but used a trick that we used to use on old worn hydraulic pumps, Loc tite purple anaerobic sealer, so far no leaks. For your Butle tape when you get it get the 50/50 you can put that on now and put the roof snow seal on over the screws, Ive had to do it in the rain and cold it will hold and seal, use acetone to clean the surface.

#53 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:34 PM

The O rings are a standard size, I can get you the number, but I had one cylinder that has gone eccentric from years of use, I was going to try and find quad rings to give it an extra seal but used a trick that we used to use on old worn hydraulic pumps, Loc tite purple anaerobic sealer, so far no leaks. For your Butle tape when you get it get the 50/50 you can put that on now and put the roof snow seal on over the screws, Ive had to do it in the rain and cold it will hold and seal, use acetone to clean the surface.

That's some good info Willys....now would you elaborate on the use of the purple loctite....that might be a good addition to a small repair kit for onboard quick repairs

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#54 Willys Addict

Willys Addict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationParksville B.C.

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:11 PM

Well I lied, just to my Hydraulic box and its Permatex not Loc tite. Permatex Anaerobic Flange sealant #51531. we would use in areas of the Hydraulic pump wear there was wear and leakage. My worst cylinder on the Camper is the left rear and it looks like it was installed before the counter top went on and I cant get it out. so, I gooped (technical term) the O-ring grove and O ring and slid it up and down the cylinder a couple of times. So far so good but, right now they are disconnected as I am doing the roof and cabinets. The reason for the leaks on mine are as the camper got older and was not free to come down equal it would come down on an angle digging with pressure on the walls of the cylinder tube causing the cylinder to bell inside, I had thought of heating and shrinking them, but you would have to get them honed true again.A correct quad seal has two lips for a surface and may work better for an O ring, I am going to look at some point for the size.

#55 68 Siesta

68 Siesta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationSouth Jordan, Utah

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:35 PM

Just stumbled onto your thread. Great ideas and workmanship! Alaskans are fantastic campers!

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users