Then, 2002 Toyota Tundra AC 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
NOW, 2005 TOYOTA TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB 4x4 WITH 2001 FWC HAWK EXT

#12 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:52 AM

I have a detroit in my Jeep and believe me, thats not what most people would want. You really know its there. The truck is open atm and if I had my choice (and the funds) I'd go with a selectable locker.

I absolutely agree regarding auto-locker behavior. On road, neutral throttle through every corner is extra work and eats tires. But not off road: auto-lockers just work when you need them. Unless your in the snow, so I'm told. (Not much snow where I live.)

I'm not in love with LSDs. It's what came it came with my truck. As much as I'd like a Detroit in the rear, I'm not certain I want the extra axle stress it will apply.

It seems Ox Lockers might be the best all around compromise. Simple guts, simple engagement. I understand they are as beefy as anything, reliable as heck, and American made to boot.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#13 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,033 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:11 AM

Hopefully they are better now, back when I was looking for a locker for the Jeep the Ox lockers got bad reviews. Turns out with the older model Dana 44 I didnt have much choice in lockers. Been happy with the Detroit in it, but its not a daily driver.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#14 CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:01 AM

From what I understand, some of the earlier issues w/ the OX Locker have been resolved with an improved lever/engagement mechanism. I believe the original design was just a straight cable and the new design utilizes a spring of some sort to aid engagement when the splines are not aligned perfectly and also helps with stretching/movement of the cable while articulating the vehicle.

Kyle
1984 Jeep $crambler - Lifted/Locked on 35s/Caged/RTT Rack/Etc... 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 6spd Diesel - Gauges/CB/2M Radio/Lorenz Bilstein 5100 Suspension with DP Leaf Springs/Carli Long Travel Airbags 2002 Hawk FWC - With all the goodies to keep the wife a "happy camper" "Paved Roads... Another example of wasteful government spending."

#15 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:17 AM

OK, so here am I wondering how to proceed with my F250.

I do drive on the beach a lot, and there are lots of semi-covered holes from previous stuck vehicles that leave low density 'sand traps'.

I also want to try some 4x4 trails that've been shown in the trip reports here, and elsewhere.

Then there's winter camping...

My truck has the factory L/S rear diff., which is actuated by clutch plates. It is said to be weak, and an open front.

Right now, I'm hip deep in a camper remodel, so that's where the money went for awhile, but I eventually work on the rolling chassis...

#16 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:17 AM

The factory LSD is "good enough". Leave it alone until it's broke. Then fix it.

Look at ARB and OX: up front, one of the two will supplement the rear LSD quite nicely.

I'd eventually like to try the OX up front. It might be simpler--more reliable--than the ARB. But I haven't looked at the guts of one, yet, so I can't say for sure. I have seen diagrams of the ARB: lots of places and ways to fail. But, people like them.

That's my .02

PS- If I were building a trail rig: 2 x Detroit plus a t-case with 2low. I'd never get going fast enough for bad behavior from the lockers.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB

#17 buzzman

buzzman

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCrossville, TN

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:18 PM

I have been looking around lately for some sort of LSD, posi, etc. for my old truck, with a GM 12 bolt rear diff, that I could afford. I don't really go off road with this truck but the "one-wheel-wonder" really gets stuck easy even in my yard. Has anyone here ever used something like these products from Powertrax? They apparently make two different units, a Powertrax No-Slip and Powertrax Lock-Right. The first link shows a demo of installing and comparing them in a jeep. The second link is the web page for Richmond Gear/Powertrax

http://www.rockcrawl...ax_tj/index.htm

http://www.richmondg...rax/noslip.html

They look to be relatively easy to install and not too expensive...$300-400 range.

2017 Ram 3500 6.4L gas SRW, CC, 2wd, 8' bed

2007 FWC Grandby--Sold

2015 Hallmark Ute XL

#18 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:04 PM

Has anyone here ever used something like these products from Powertrax?

Same idea as the Detroit Locker, different scale. I've used Lock-Rites in the past with some success.

I've attached pics of both the Detroit Locker (the real deal, not the EZ locker) and the Lock-Rite. The lock rite doesn't show the springs: they are small. The Detroit does, they are large.

I believe--someone correct me if I'm wrong--the Powertrax unit is designed such that it is wear item. Specifically, the teeth on the "clutches" will wear such that they no longer hold. I don't know how many miles they'll take you before that happens: probably lots.

The Lock-Rite can be installed quickly in C clip axles, I don't know if the Dana 44 uses these. If it doesn't, just skip it and go to the full up Detroit.

Realistically, you can install the Lock-Rite and go back to your spider gears quickly, if you want.

Understand this: standard differential action usually splits the energy applied to any given axle; auto-lockers can and will apply 100% of the energy to a single axle. This means more stress on that single axle!

In a turn, if the outside axle doesn't "unlock" that tire will "drag". This means increased tire wear.

Regardless, the cost is a bit of jerking and banging in turns. It doesn't bother me, but some are sensitive to this.

FYI- The Detroit Locker guys build an EZ locker that is similar to the PowerTrax unit. If you opt for Powertrax, price out the EZ locker, too. Maybe ask too see each of them and compare size of parts, etc.

Attached Thumbnails

• detroit.jpg
  • lockrite.jpg

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB

#19 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,033 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 September 2008 - 04:20 AM

The lock right is a real locker but they are not known for being extremely strong. They are cheap though.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#20 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:46 PM

This has been an informative thread so far; thanks for your wisdom, fellows!

But I don't...

Understand this: standard differential action usually splits the energy applied to any given axle; auto-lockers can and will apply 100% of the energy to a single axle.

Scott, are you saying that a locker will change how a transfer case splits torque to axles? Or are you talking about torque being applied to an axle stub?

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users