88 replies to this topic

#21 WestCoast

WestCoast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:28 PM

That ladder is perfect! I've been considering a roof box and this would be perfect for that.
I love this site! So many brains working together!!! Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

#22 WestCoast

WestCoast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:34 PM

Seth, any chance you can find the side rack thread? I've considered trying to make something that attaches to the jack brackets to carry skis/boards.
I agree, a rear ski rack would be ideal, just no way to easily attach it. And take off angles may be an issue.

#23 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:14 PM

Nice ladder

#24 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:13 PM

So is the Grandby C1 or A1?  :D

Jugging the roof! Pure genius!!! Plus, many dirtbag points as an added bonus. What do you anchor to? How did you access other areas of the roof.
C-1, no nailing on my rig!

C1, solidly placed sky hook  :P

My setup: web ladder attached to an appropriate length of webbing with a sky hook on the end.  Sky hook has been filed to a point.  Webbing is thrown over the roof of the camper and hooked onto the underside of the overhang.  I have two attachment points for the hook on the webbing: roof up, roof down.  Assembly can be moved forward or backward to access different areas of the roof from either side.  Oh, and the underside of my overhang is painted plywood, so the sky hook digging in a little bit doesn't bother me = bombproof.  If your underside is covered with aluminum sheeting you might want to use a suction cup or some such instead of a point on the hook.

I have thought about adding fixed anchors to the underside of the overhang:  T-nuts and bolts, since I tend to place the ladder in the same places consistently.  Might do that while I have the camper in the shop this winter for lift panel replacement.  

I like it because it stores in a nice, small package.

If you have an old length of rope one could use that and jug your way up, for more style points.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#25 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:20 PM

Seth, any chance you can find the side rack thread?...
I agree, a rear ski rack would be ideal, just no way to easily attach it. And take off angles may be an issue.

Unfortunately that wasn't on the forum, it was a camper I saw in person last year... and it seems I have no pictures. Which is stupid, because that owner had a lot of good ideas.

It wasn't off the jack brackets, though. The mount was more like 3 pieces of 1.5" x 0.125" steel stock that were though-bolted under the window of the camper, behind the back of the couch. Imagine shoving a 12" ruler between your camper and the truck bed rail. From there he'd welded up a basket sized for a couple pairs of skis. Then rust-proofed it with powder coating - that's something you prep and then sub out to a specialty shop. Or, maybe you'd need to go out to a fab shop for all of it.

A rear rack is a bit of a head scratcher. Depending on how your camper sits on your truck, imagine a tray on the rear bumper, maybe 14" wide, 4" deep, 6" tall. That's a tray with 6" sides that you drop the back end of your skis into. An FWC dealer can (easily?) get the metal-biting equivalent of a wood screw into the framework of your camper's back wall - that's how your jack brackets are attached. This kind of screw:
http://shop.advancea...90_pri_larg.jpg

The question would then be how to fabricate and fasten some bracket, using that kind of screw into the camper's aluminum frame, with a few inches of offset, so your ski tips clear the back wall/roof, a bracket that you could attach a yakima or thule rack to... ???

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

#26 WestCoast

WestCoast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:20 PM

Well that's definitely C1 at least! I'm totally stoked on that idea. Low pro!!!
How does it feel up there with the roof up?
I think if I went to the turnbuckle attachment, I could downgrade to A0...I am getting older, after all.

#27 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:24 PM

I think Bread has a great idea, but don't know where to get one made. 

http://www.wanderthe...27-breads-mods/

The purple one third frame down. 

Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#28 WestCoast

WestCoast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:27 PM

Great ideas, Seth! You got the wheels turning. I'm going to go low pro and see how it feels first since I have a lot of the gear just laying around. I will report back.
Just need some snow!!!

#29 WestCoast

WestCoast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:30 PM

Man! Great ideas! Keep em coming!!!

#30 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:36 PM

C1, solidly placed sky hook  :P

My setup: web ladder attached to an appropriate length of webbing with a sky hook on the end.  Sky hook has been filed to a point.  Webbing is thrown over the roof of the camper and hooked onto the underside of the overhang.  I have two attachment points for the hook on the webbing: roof up, roof down.  Assembly can be moved forward or backward to access different areas of the roof from either side.  Oh, and the underside of my overhang is painted plywood, so the sky hook digging in a little bit doesn't bother me = bombproof.  If your underside is covered with aluminum sheeting you might want to use a suction cup or some such instead of a point on the hook.

I have thought about adding fixed anchors to the underside of the overhang:  T-nuts and bolts, since I tend to place the ladder in the same places consistently.  Might do that while I have the camper in the shop this winter for lift panel replacement.  

Fixed anchors makes it A, yes?  Always referred to C as clean (cams/nuts)

Sounds like a great idea, time to dig out the aid gear.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users