#1 OpenSpace

OpenSpace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationColorado Plateau

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:47 PM

Been hanging out here for quite awhile now reading and learning, and wanted to say what a great community and resource this is.

Been debating between an ATC, FWC, or Hallmark. Well, a great (good) deal on a 2011 Guanella just came up and I pick it up in a week. Woohoo - haven't been this excited in awhile!

Never had a camper before so I hope it meets the expectation. Come from a life-long outdoors background and still sleep on the ground (which I generally like), so this thing thing should be ridiculous in its comfort.  

Trying to figure out the best way to attach; seems most love their Hallmarks but not the attachment system. May try Torklift setup - open to suggestions.

At any rate I'll post up pics once we get 'er on the truck!

Going on this: 2012 Silverado cc shorted 6.0 gasser.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0972 2.JPG

Edited by OpenSpace, 11 October 2016 - 08:06 PM.

www.wildlandtrekking.com

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:57 PM

Woohoo - haven't been this excited in awhile!

:)

Congrats on your new camper and all of us are looking forward to photos!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 COBlue

COBlue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 02:56 AM

I had Happijac tie downs and forklift fast guns on my 2006 Ram 2500 with Hallmark Milner and Northstar Laredo. Totally satisfied.

#4 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:21 AM

first congrats on the new camper - looking forward to pics when you get it settled

Had happi-jac's on my 99 Ram / Sunlite and went with tork lifts on my 2014.  Had/have many carefree miles with both.  If I had it to do all over again I still think I'd still go with the TL's on my 14.  They are a bit overkill for my Hallmark but I like the way they are engineered and adjustable.  For instance I was able to drill a second set of holes in the front tiedown to get the width exactly right my my camper tiedowns

Suggest you cruise the hallmark facebook page and look for a similar camper on a truck like yours - and evaluate have the tiedowns are used.  Depending on the mounting and location of the brackets you might get some funky angles with the tiedowns.  

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#5 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 October 2016 - 01:32 PM

Congrats OpenSpace. Can't wait to see pics :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#6 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:25 PM

Welcome to the club! You will not be disappointed...

We have Tork Lifts as well with the fast guns and have been very satisfied. Solid and easy to install and once hooked up you can forget about it.

Just an FYI, I just bought a new '16 F-350 last week and the TL I had for my 2006 will not fit. If they work for you I will make you one hella deal....something to thing about.

Enjoy your rig!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#7 isbram

isbram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 01:08 AM

My Happijac’s tie downs have held up well but didn’t provide enough angle to keep the front of the camper pulled up against the truck bed. The camper slid back a few inches several times when traveling off road. I had Hallmark add a second set of front tie down anchor point’s to get some forward tension on the camper, problem solved. 

IMG_1886.1_zps8bnedsnn.jpg

1999 Dodge Ram 2500
2011 Hallmark Cuchara XL

#8 OpenSpace

OpenSpace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 05:47 AM

Went with a complete Torklift tiedown/fastgun system. Pick up and install of the camper is next Thursday, after which I'll take a few days camping to get home and familiarize myself with the camper. Yeehaw!!

Edited by OpenSpace, 14 October 2016 - 07:05 AM.

www.wildlandtrekking.com

#9 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 02:57 PM

You'll like the fastguns, they make it real clean and easy.  On my F350, I have the Happijack bed mounts at the front, but use the Torklift's in the back.  The rear Happijacks attach to the bumper and considering it's as strong as aluminum foil, they don't do so well.  On the Ford, the Torklift's just slide into the square tubing of the hitch so they are real easy to install/remove.

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#10 OpenSpace

OpenSpace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:18 AM

Well, as planned I got the camper last Thursday and took a few days to get home. It's really sweet - used less than 12 times, everything works perfectly and it doesn't have a scratch on it.

Drove over to Valley of the Gods where I spent my 1st night and by chance met up with a few WTW folks (thanks for the warm camaraderie). Continued south and spent my 2nd night in the cinder hills around Flagstaff. 

Torklift system is nice - simple and solid. Glad I went with it.

Already making some mods (just read the "Low cost Mods" thread - brilliant) to personalize it and make it "ours". Also looking at a few suspension upgrades for a better ride and greater reliability.

Everything's a compromise and mine is the overall size of my setup which will keep us off some of the narrower tracks. But for 90% of our adventures we should be good.

Primary 1st impression is how quick and easy the setup and takedown is. Coming from a tenting background it seems like we're cheating somehow.

Already heading out again next weekend - super excited!

A few pics to prove it's real! 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1001.jpg
  • IMG_1004.jpg

www.wildlandtrekking.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users