• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 DoGMAtix

DoGMAtix

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:54 PM

Bigfoot, I agree that the mounting plates on the camper for the rear turnbuckles were inadequate for rugged 4WD roads (essentially asking a 2 1/4 x 5 inch square of plywood to hold up against shocks of repeated big bumps). Larger metal plates should help a lot, hopefully there's enough solid plywood around the ripped-out areas to securely mount to.
Back to the front/rear turnbuckle issue, though, it still seems to me there is no good reason to have spring loaded front turnbuckles, and good reason to soften the force of the down-pulls when the rear end of the camper gets bounced. Keeping slack in the rear turnbuckles doesn't seem like a good solution when you're trying to keep things battened down inside, and big enough bumps will pull just as hard (though, granted, not as continuously) on the mounting points when you run out of loose travel.
I'll give Torklift a call (they seem to have a good tech line) and at some point will post a more detailed account of our experience, including what we decide on as our next "ultimate fix" for securing our camper in challenging driving conditions.
Moral of the story, at any rate, is: know what's holding your rig together before doing something that's likely to tear it apart, and be prepared to tinker and/or overhaul when things get damaged (they will).

Edited by DoGMAtix, 05 December 2016 - 07:13 AM.

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L CTD short bed quad cab, 2008 Hallmark Guanella

#22 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:51 AM

Had a similar experience to Bigfoot when we first picked up ours.  Got surprised by a large bump in the road and the the camper was quite active.  Lost 3 of the 4 hold downs, and it shifted.  Got to where we were going to camp and got it resettled.  Had to readjust the threaded rod on a couple of the hold downs to make them work.  I also have the Torklift spring helpers.  It bounced so much it bent the overload spring bracket on the frame.  I went down to Torklift, they're based in south of Seattle (actually had a job going 1/2 a block away).  They looked it over and were pretty adamant about have the sprung ones in the front.  I made the switch and haven't had an issue since.  That being said, I also haven't hit any big bumps like that either.

I've wondered about the mounting plates and how they are integrated into the structure.  On mine (2015 model) they are held on with studs.  I don't know if they are just carriage bolts through plywood buried within the structure, or if there's a plate.  I can't see anything in the interior.

I'd love to see a picture of the area around the hold downs that ripped out.  Always trying to see more of the structure. I think you're on the right track with larger plates, sandwiching the plywood.  The more you can spread the load, the better

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#23 OpenSpace

OpenSpace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationColorado Plateau

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:57 AM

Dogmatix,

Sorry to hear that holes were ripped into your camper from the mounting system used. To be clear, are you saying the L-shaped rear brackets ripped completely away from the camper?  

My frame mounted torklift system seems great but we've yet to really test the setup on rough roads. The front fastguns (turnbuckles) attach to a metal piece bolted to the front jack legs - looks solid. The back fastguns go to the brackets I believe you're describing. 

Please keep us posted on your fix. In the meantime I think I'll release a bit of tension on my back brackets.

Also, yeah we're airing down quite a bit. World of difference. And I've decided to keep our 3-way for now too. Works fine so far and this new hobby is getting expensive.

The Maze trip is on our list. Looks A-Mazing (sorry) - truly. 

www.wildlandtrekking.com

#24 OpenSpace

OpenSpace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationColorado Plateau

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:03 AM

As Bad Habit said, can't tell if bracket is bolted into plywood only or if a plate reinforces. From your post sounds like wood only. A pic would be great. 

Edited by OpenSpace, 01 December 2016 - 02:05 AM.

www.wildlandtrekking.com

#25 DoGMAtix

DoGMAtix

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:25 AM

Yeah, ripped completely away.

Here's my new post:

http://www.wanderthe...lmark-guanella/

The Maze District of Canyonlands is awesome! Here's a photo of one of our campsites:

(That's my wife and 3-yr old twins enjoying sunset from the camper roof, and our friend's Alaskan on an F-350)

Attached Thumbnails

• Sunset Panorama Point.jpg

Edited by DoGMAtix, 05 December 2016 - 07:29 AM.

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L CTD short bed quad cab, 2008 Hallmark Guanella

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users