Camping hwy 395

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Bat

Bat

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:38 PM

My wife wants to get out of Dodge next week, so I thought a drive up 395 Lone pine to Lee vining area from San Diego would be nice. The last time up in that area was 1973, so I thought I would see if it has changed :D. My question is some good campsites that I could use for a 2 nighter and move on to the next leaving Sept. 10 and returning sept.14.

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:07 AM

Been a few years for me too. But I do recall passing a decent number of campgrounds, most were nearly empty in nov.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:00 AM

Bat,

check the "Trip Reports" section. Myself and others have written a number of reports covering 395. Have fun.

Marc

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#4 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:31 PM

Bat,

I've done three trips down 395 this summer and got a chance to do some exploring. Be happy to share what I found in the area. Are you looking for campgrounds or boondock locations?

Ted

#5 Bat

Bat

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:10 PM

Campgrounds where are all the big RV people are not humming along with generators. I spoke to a gentlemen who said coldwater would be nice or up to rock creek. I was trying to stay a night or 2 at each sites with some distance in between. I was wondering can you have dogs in Yosemite if you are not camping.

#6 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:41 PM

Here is some info. This is long so hang in there.

In Lone Pine, going west on Whitney Portal Road (WPR) will give you a number of options. A few miles up on the left is Horseshoe Meadows Road. Take that a few miles to Tuttle Creek campground. This is mostly sage grass with a few trees located on a creek. Lqhikers stayed here and has photos in his “Slow journey to the Sierra’s” trip report.
Back on WPR, Movie Road goes right into the Alabama Hills. This is an interesting place to explore and there are a number of dispersed camping sites here. Continue up WPR a little further and you come to Lone Pine Campground. This is a small campground in a wash from Independence Creek that works as an overflow for Whitney Portal campground. It also is mostly sage grass. Whitney Portal Family Campground is at the end of the road. It is in trees and much higher so will be much cooler if the valley is hot. It is still prime hiking season for Mt. Whitney so this may be crowded. The lower part of this campground has only five sites and may be quieter. I stayed here and found the host to be very pleasant and helpful. Check with him about possible openings. Of these, my choice would be the Alabama Hills if it isn’t too hot in the valley.

Only 15 miles up 395 is Independence. There are several campgrounds along Independence Creek heading west into the Sierras. The first is just outside town and looks more like a windy, desolate parking lot. Further up is upper and lower Grey’s Meadow campgrounds. I have stayed here twice. There are some nice sites in the trees and right on the creek. Flush toilets are also a plus. I did have to ask someone to shut their generator off at 11:00 pm last weekend so I would say the camp host here is useless. But that was Labor Day weekend so if you are going midweek and can find an isolated spot you should be ok. At the end of the road is Onion Valley Campground. I have not been there but understand it is a popular trailhead for backpackers so may be crowded. It is a steep, winding drive up to it.

From Big Pine you can head into the White Mountains to the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest. The 4000+ year old trees are interesting and the views from up there are fantastic. Grandview Campground here is 8600 feet and popular with astronomers. It is common to see large telescopes set up in the sites. Pit toilets, no water, no fee, donations suggested. Have not stayed here but would like to.

I’m not familiar with Coldwater but you should definitely do Rock Creek out of Tom’s Place, about 20 miles south of Mammoth. There are five or six campgrounds along the road, all on the creek. The lowest, French Camp, is large and has some isolated spaces on the north side near the creek. We stayed in Big Meadow, only 11 sites, and it is one of our favorites. Iris Meadow is similar. Rock Creek Lake itself is simply tables set up next to parking spaces in the parking lot, but the beauty of the place makes up for that.

Heading up 120 out of Lee Vining, there are a number of campgrounds along Poole Power Plant Road. These have lots of shade and a large creek flowing through them. There are even some impressive little waterfalls you can camp near.

We usually take our dog with us when camping. In Yosemite, you cannot take them on any of the trails. We usually leave her in the camper when we go hiking or seeing the sites. However, visiting Devil’s Postpile from Mammoth is very dog friendly. Not only can they go on the trails, you can bring them on the shuttle busses. We really appreciated this and wish more locations had a similar attitude.

There must be 100 places along this route I left off but only because I have not explored them. I hope this helps. Have a good trip. Attached photos are of 1) Alabama Hills; 2) Gray’s Meadow site; 3) Bristlecone Pines and the Sierras; 4) Big Meadow site; and 5) Rock Creek Lake. Don’t worry, last two shots were in October.

Attached Thumbnails

• Alabama Hills.jpg
  • Gray's Meadow site.jpg
  • Bristlecones and Sierras.jpg
  • Big Meadow site.jpg
  • Rock Creek Lake.jpg

#7 Bat

Bat

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 04:54 AM

Thanks so much for the info I just love the pics. Can you write up something on FWC for my wife and why we should buy one:)

#8 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 07 September 2008 - 03:51 PM

Great post Ted, lots of good info. Thanks for taking the time to do that. Lots of mental notes made!

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#9 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:43 PM

Bat,

Not sure I can convince your wife for you, but I'll tell you why we made the decision. Prior to our camper, we traveled in a Toyota 4x4 with a shell. It had a carpet kit in back that we slept on with gear stored underneath. While this worked very well for us, on two occasions we were pinned down by weather. One was out on Punta Conception in Baja and another was in Banff. We were unable to go outside for two days each time. We couldn't cook meals and, in a small truck with only a shell, we couldn't even sit up straight while stuck inside. That is when we decided to move to a full size truck and get a camper.
We still wanted to be able to go to remote areas and not always on the best roads. After doing the research, we found FWC was really the only camper that allowed us to keep our camping style. we have had it about five years now and it is still a luxury to us.

Another plus is it makes it easier to go camping. We keep it stocked with everything but fresh food and water and clothes. Doesn't take much time to throw some stuff in and go. We get away now at least once a month, usually twice.

Just our story. Hope it helps.

#10 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:11 PM

Can you write up something on FWC for my wife and why we should buy one:)

Bat, here is the link (Four Wheel Camper: A Review) that pushed US over the edge:

- I began my search for a camping solution when my second child was born and I needed more room and comforts than a tent or truck camping could allow for. My goal was to find a camper that would have enough room to take my two small children (5 & 2) up to Yellowstone NP or just the local mountains for a 2 or 3 day weekend, but also be stong and lightweight enough that I could live out of it for several days or weeks while going solo on off road trips. It would have to be able to endure the high winds of Wyoming, the heavy rains of chance, the heavy snows of the Rockies and my desire to constantly see what's off the beaten track.

We purchased ours for the following reasons:
  • to get out of the elements (think furnace, here)
  • have a more durable enclosure
  • easier entry/exit
  • 'indoor' cooking when outdoor was unrealistic (think storm)
  • porta-pottie (again, think storm)
  • a way to be ready to go with minimal effort. (2 duffels, load the fridge, load an ice chest, add fresh water; I currently store the camper on the truck, we are basically ready to go!)
  • we got tired of sleeping 'on the ground'.
Our ATC camper has met or exceeded all our expectations. I have a few minor gripes, but they are minor. We are especially delighted by the comfort of the mattress in our ATC.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users