#11 crumbs

crumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 29 October 2016 - 01:40 PM

Thank you all. I will be calling them either Monday or Tuesday to knock around some of these issues.

As it stands now, I'm easily in favor of the window over the utility cabinet.
Not sure on the r. rack style.
Not sure on the ext bed.
Furnace will stay.
Not sure on the stove top. Have to see what my options are.

2wd  Looking for a New Puma Shell 78" wide with a 60" interior closed height.

#12 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 30 October 2016 - 12:05 AM

Crumbs,

I too wanted the sink/stove reversed. Length of camper may make that point immaterial. Mine is due to be started early next week, I had a similar idea about the heater, except mine will have both a furnace and wave. The guys will not install quick connects, but will put in the lines for you. Personally, I also will have a propane quick connect on the outside for stove/grill/lights etc. So that could be an option for you inside as well. I too doubt the amount of use I will get with the rack, although I do use mine on occasion to hold our seakayaks. Lots of choices, and the ATC guys are awesome. Good luck.

w

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#13 crumbs

crumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 30 October 2016 - 02:19 PM

Nice updates-thanks. The Puma is clawing at me for attention.

I can plainly see the couch on the main website, but I am having trouble locating images of the side dinette. Someone in another thread mentioned pages to search, but no thread link.

Anyway, I'm hoping the camper will be useful to catch a nap on the side of the road without having to raise the top. Would one setup (L-Couch vs. Side Dinette) lend itself better than the other for this type of use?

Edited by crumbs, 30 October 2016 - 02:20 PM.

#14 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,602 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 30 October 2016 - 02:31 PM

Either will allow a roadside nap, the couch typically being wider. The down side of the couch is your feet are in the aisle when someone else is up and about, plus the table is out there, too. My preference is the side dinette. The table is smaller, but it can remain setup without blocking the aisle. My size 14's are out of the aisle, as well :) .

I am haunted by waters

#15 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 30 October 2016 - 02:41 PM

If you swap the sink and stove, doesn't the sink faucet get in the way of the bed? 

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#16 crumbs

crumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 30 October 2016 - 03:18 PM

Good to know W.Sage. thanks. I definitely don't suffer from too large a foot; and the dog will bump into me no matter how much room there is.

I'm not sure how the sink swap got inferred earlier on; but my desire to have both a portable heat source and portable stove top was one of the special requests that I began this thread with.

Contributing heavily towards my build request:

Weight of camper (it will likely remain on the vehicle a great deal of time; however, I will not necessarily be utilizing it's full capabilities in the far off future as much. It's more likely that it will be used more as a lunch/change/nap room for day and overnight adventures.)

Edited by crumbs, 30 October 2016 - 03:20 PM.

#17 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:24 PM

Re: roof rack- I added the Yakima tracks to my 4WC with no issues with strength or leaks. I only used it on one trip to carry my 12' kayak that weighs about 40lbs. I decided that it was too much of a hassle loading and unloading because of the height I had to lift it to load it. I also had to unload the kayak once I found my campsite because the extra weight made the top harder to lift. I later loaded gas lift struts but never tried loading my kayak again. I ended up buying an Advanced Elements Exped inflatable kayak that I load in the back of my double cab and am very happy with it. When I order my new Panther I'm not going to add on the roof rack - but I'm sure there are many other uses for a roof rack that justifies having one. 

Re: dinette. I'm ordering the side dinette because I have the couch arrangement on my FWC. My wife and I decided that we'd prefer the side dinette so that we can face each other while eating, playing cards,etc. Also, when one of us is using the stove or sink we won't be in each others way. You lose storage space with the side dinette but Marty is going to make a full width bottom cabinet across the back as well as a wardrobe cabinet by the rear door. You'd also lose the small storage cabinet that sits above the side window. It's all about compromises and preferences but having had my 4WC for 8 years I have a pretty good idea of what works best for me. Of course you don't know how things are going to work out until you try it out. It's all part of the adventure. Good luck!!

One other thing , Marty said that having the  side dinette would make for a very short bed for one person - it may not be the case with the Puma and I'm sure Marty can best advise you.

Edited by Ronin, 31 October 2016 - 06:28 PM.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#18 crumbs

crumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:10 PM

Im hoping to keep the weight down to 1100 lbs, as that would give me room for water, supplies, gear, me and dog. My payload according to Chevy's sticker is #1960

I emailed Marty and I'm waiting to here what it would come in at weight wise.

After considering all of your input I've made an adjustment here and there.

Puma 78" wide Standard with the following.
Power Roof Vent / Fantastic Fan 3 Speed / Reversible
Furnace – 16,000 BTU
Boat Rack
Jack Brackets Only
Auxiliary Battery System
Rear Wall Steps
Wire Camper for Solar Panel only (to install panel later)
Roof Lifting Gas Struts (set of 4)Install
L-Shaped Couch
Curtains

#19 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,298 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:24 PM

Crums,your list looks good and a nice simple camper.

One thing about the wiring for solar,when Marty built my Bobcat I had ordered the wire for solar but

didn't use it.

Two reasons one I had it exit in front so I could place a panel under the overhang.

Scraped that idea. Second reason not to use it was the wire is only like a 14/16 gauage

so not big enough. When I was ready for solar I just mounted the panels on the rear factory rack

and ran the 2 #10 wires (+ -) through the roof down the right rear inside to the battery.

This has worked for me.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#20 crumbs

crumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:12 PM

If i order a shell now do you foresee problems adding factory options later on?

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users