• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:49 PM

Has anyone installed these fuel can holders to the aft jack plates on a FWC Hawk or similar camper?

I don't see any included hardware with the can holder and was curious if something needed to be fabricated or if the holder would bolt to the jack plate?

Thanks.

Screenshot_2016_11_08_17_46_12.png

Edited by Advmoto18, 08 November 2016 - 10:50 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#2 Desert wanderer

Desert wanderer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationPlacerville, California

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:02 AM

ImageUploadedByWander The West1478649729.017010.jpg

This is how four wheel campers attached the AT holder to my hawk.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

#3 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:19 AM

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByWander The West1478649729.017010.jpg

This is how four wheel campers attached the AT holder to my hawk.

THANKS!

#4 Desert wanderer

Desert wanderer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationPlacerville, California

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:21 AM

THANKS!

It may not be seen in the photo and I forgot to mention but they installed a little spacer to move it out a smidgen from the camper. It is the almost black spacer between the bracket and the can holder. It appears to be some composite material.

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:25 AM

I did mine in a similar way to the way FWC does it. A piece of angle bolted to the can holder that goes behind the jack bracket and two braces underneath that hold most of the weight.

842_zpszkvqxtq0.jpg

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKelowna, BC, Canada

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:50 AM

I would be inclined to install a hitchgate swing out carrier that mounts to your trailer hitch rather than trying to attach heavy items to the camper. 

F150-Hitchgate-Sideview.jpeg

#7 AK Nomad

AK Nomad

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 09 November 2016 - 05:32 PM

With a hitchgate, to access the camper, you've got to swing the gate open and leave it open while you're in the camper, right? I wouldn't like the gate left swinging around if it's windy.  It also seems the gate would be in the way in parking lots or if you are towing a trailer, which I often do.

When I first saw them, I wanted one, but I'm liking the looks of craig333's setup...as long as the camper frame is up to the task.  Additional brackets appear simple to build.

#8 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 09 November 2016 - 05:46 PM

With a hitchgate, to access the camper, you've got to swing the gate open and leave it open while you're in the camper, right? I wouldn't like the gate left swinging around if it's windy.  It also seems the gate would be in the way in parking lots or if you are towing a trailer, which I often do.

When I first saw them, I wanted one, but I'm liking the looks of craig333's setup...as long as the camper frame is up to the task.  Additional brackets appear simple to build.

I go with AK...attaching a significant load  with five gallons of any liquid at the perimeter of my Hawk and then bouncing and crawling down rocky roads would put a hell of a strain on the Hawk frame and load attachment points...

I actually prefer to not carry any weight behind, to the sides or on top of the Hawk and then pound around off road..

The receiver hitch carrier can be locked open [windy] and yes it does extend the vehicle/camper length when backing up but so does a trailer...tongue length of a trailer compensates for rear extensions of the vehicle or long loads on the trailer [like my sea kayaks]....

Everybody determines their needs and assesses the ability of the FWC to meet those needs...just for me, I prefer to be conservative and stick with a minimalist approach.

Phil

#9 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 10:49 PM

Thanks for the comments!

I had an Aluminess rear bumper on my old F-250.  I may go with that on my new truck, but, need to talk to Mike about some design mods.  Such as being able to use the camper door gust lock with the spare tire and/or gas can box swing arms deployed.

In the interim, I need to install 1, perhaps 2 of the AT can holders for water.  I don't need the cans for truck fuel.  Perhaps motorcycle gas.

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 10 November 2016 - 04:22 AM

No part of the can holder is bolted through the frame. The jack brackets are obviously designed to take some weight. The lower supports bolt through wood. A couple years of use show no signs of undue or even due :) wear.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users