19 replies to this topic

#1 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,976 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:31 AM

As I ponder mounting my solar panels and putting holes in the roof of my 2005 Hawk, I started looking for those great threads I have read on this forum, and digging into which sealants to use.  I have again found a “simple” question is not that simple, and that the folks who build these campers for us (FWC and ATC) deserve a LOT of credit for making them as affordable and durable as they are.

First, I think we all have aluminum roofs, right?  Either one piece (when did that start?) not.  This is not the case with other RV’s.  This link talks about how to seal most RV roof types - LINK

I already have a solar plug on my roof (it is a ZAMP SAE connector) – and this thread talks about cutting holes and sealing them too.

SIlaprene is apparently what FWC uses - LINK & LINK

Sikaflex is mentioned often too.  Turns out that both Silaprene and Sikaflex are product lines, so finding the RIGHT one for our applications is a bit more challenging.  Here is the list of the Sikaflex products - LINK

Browsing through this list, I suspect:

Sikaflex LINK

And there are lots of other choices.  This list is huge... LINK

So, what are you using?

Vic

#2 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 17 November 2016 - 02:52 AM

This is probably what you will end up using.

Note that they can't use it in California.

Very easy to get in our area.

http://www.geocelusa...ant-detail.html

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 03:03 AM

Thanks Bill.

#4 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 03:06 AM

One thing that concerned me is it doesn't mention aluminum in the actual product itself.  It is on the manufacturers website though.

I didn't buy it until I checked the site.  Even though the guys in the shop said they use it all the time on aluminum.

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 17 November 2016 - 03:25 AM

As I ponder mounting my solar panels and putting holes in the roof of my 2005 Hawk, I started looking for those great threads I have read on this forum, and digging into which sealants to use.  I have again found a “simple” question is not that simple, and that the folks who build these campers for us (FWC and ATC) deserve a LOT of credit for making them as affordable and durable as they are.

First, I think we all have aluminum roofs, right?  Either one piece (when did that start?) not.  This is not the case with other RV’s.  This link talks about how to seal most RV roof types - LINK

I already have a solar plug on my roof (it is a ZAMP SAE connector) – and this thread talks about cutting holes and sealing them too.

SIlaprene is apparently what FWC uses - LINK & LINK

Sikaflex is mentioned often too.  Turns out that both Silaprene and Sikaflex are product lines, so finding the RIGHT one for our applications is a bit more challenging.  Here is the list of the Sikaflex products - LINK

Browsing through this list, I suspect:
Sikaflex 292i – would be good for bonding stuff
Sikaflex 291LOT – would be a good sealant for very wet areas as it can be used below waterline.  Might “flow” better too for a nicer look
Sikaflex 291 – good sealant for high vibration areas

Wow, I just found a summary of sealing products for marine use that agrees 100% with what I just said... LINK

And there are lots of other choices.  This list is huge... LINK

So, what are you using?

Vic

Vic, check the videos from AM Solar installing panels without drilling holes...

http://amsolar.com/d...tions/edmounts/

I am haunted by waters

#6 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 17 November 2016 - 03:29 AM

Vic,

Geocel ProFlex RV is what I used on my build. This sealant is very forgiving, when applying. They suggest having some soapy water on hand, and once you've laid a bead with the caulk gun, you dip your finger in the soapy water and press and smooth out the bead until your satisfied.

It gets easier as you go and get the hang of it. In warmer weather, it flattens out more quickly and uniformly, and it seems to shrink down after a few weeks. So a second layer might be in order. Anyhow my 2cents along with Bill D. There are a few photos of applying it on my build thread if you care to look. Good luck!

Poky

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:07 AM

Vic, check the videos from AM Solar installing panels without drilling holes...

http://amsolar.com/d...tions/edmounts/

I like the idea of being able to tilt.  not sure I would trust that 3m tape.  3m claims 100 lbs tensile strength per sq inch.  4 of those mount might get you 4-8".  If the wind gets under there at 70 mph..... 

This page is really neat... lots of good info and comparisons - LINK

I think I might want the Sikaflex 291 for general sealant, and 3m 5200 (700psi) to hold down the panels!

I wish my roof was nice a smooth.   I see pics of the new shiny one piece roofs and drool!

Edited by Vic Harder, 17 November 2016 - 04:20 AM.

#8 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:16 AM

I watched the video on the 3m tape, and I am not sure I would trust it exclusively. I use a lot of 3M tape and pay over $1,000.00 for 24"x60yd roll. The one shown is not even from the 3M automotive division. The surfaces MUST be smooth and flat. There is also an adhesion promoter that will help achieve a 90%+ bond almost instantly.

Vic, There are probably dozens of adhesive/sealants that are more than capable of doing this job. are you sure you aren't over thinking some of this stuff? I do the same....

cwd

CWDT

#9 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 06:11 AM

I wish my roof was nice a smooth.   I see pics of the new shiny one piece roofs and drool!

You'll get hail damage on your roof anyhow.

Sure a one piece roof is nice, but as soon as you add a vent, racks, etc it doesn't make that much of a difference.

By not having a one piece roof perhaps you will be more diligent with your maintenance that others with a one piece may neglect.

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 06:13 AM

thanks for the perspective!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users