• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:07 PM

I realized I need some emergency communication device, and my mobile phone doesn't cut it. I've considered and ruled out S.P.O.T. and satellite phone is unrealistically pricey.

So is ham the answer? And if it is, where do I start?

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#2 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:46 PM

I think Ham radio is the way to go. If you get some VHF equipment and then get into HF radio you will be well covered. Just this past weekend I was on Steens mountain. 9700 feet. No cell covereage. Just happened to be scanning on 2m vhf and talked with some folks about 130 miles away. Nice. While camped, it was easy to get a clean signal out on 80m hf into the midwest.

Besides, it is fun to just talk with people when on the go. Kills some of the time on those long drives.

you'll need to get a license, it is fairly easy. Books are availalbe from the ARRL (www.arrl.org) and a local club can get you the testing. Expedition portal has a nice forum on this stuff you can check out.

Then the fun begins.....more stuff to spend money on.

dave N0XLW in seattle

#3 CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:52 PM

I went the 2 meter route as well for the same reasons. It is nice to talk back and forth with the group you are wheeling with too. They may be a mile or 2 away and out of sight, but still within the realm of communication distance. You can feel like you are out there all alone, but still have the ability to get in contact with someone in an emergency.

Kyle
1984 Jeep $crambler - Lifted/Locked on 35s/Caged/RTT Rack/Etc... 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 6spd Diesel - Gauges/CB/2M Radio/Lorenz Bilstein 5100 Suspension with DP Leaf Springs/Carli Long Travel Airbags 2002 Hawk FWC - With all the goodies to keep the wife a "happy camper" "Paved Roads... Another example of wasteful government spending."

#4 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:05 PM

I've considered and ruled out S.P.O.T.

:(:(

That's too bad because (1) S.P.O.T. has my antenna in it, and (2) it is only about $150, + $100/year.

We're making about 10,000 of those antennas a month (I think) so somebody's buying 'em. O' course, they're not really for emergency communication so much as communicating you have an emergency...

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:31 PM

I'm definitely considering some type of PLB. HF gear is pricey plus the investment in time to get licensed. Cell and CB are unreliable. 2meter ham while cheaper and easier to get licensed for still has dead spots. One of my favorite areas has no 2 meter coverage (its in a valley with no towns and for some reason no reachable repeaters on the peaks).

Interesting you couldn't get out on your cell on the mountain top. I frequent many areas with poor coverage but never failed to get a signal from a mountain peak.

Carry a CB. You may be able to reach a logging crew, camper or something like that even when range is an issue.

Also, you can use any means to communicate (licensed or not) in a true emergency. If you have access to a radio you aren't licensed to use, carry it. Just make sure it meets that emergency rule.

I want the PLB just because I know I can and will be places nothing but satellite communications will get the job done.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:51 AM

Got an Icom 2meter in the TOW MISSLE, use it sometimes to communicate with my boat, say I'm sitting in the Costco parking lot, I can find out if we need anything from the store. I've spent the better part of my life talking on radios, I've got everything from Sitor to c.b. can't say I like any of em'.

#7 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:13 AM

I understand moderately priced PLBs are 1 way communication. So--in the case of SPOT--if the GPS light is good, then the outbound transmission is likely to send... NOT guaranteed.

In an emergency, I want transmission verification.

I suspect buying the ham gear, then working on the license is probably the way to go...

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#8 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:41 AM

I understand moderately priced PLBs are 1 way communication. So--in the case of SPOT--if the GPS light is good, then the outbound transmission is likely to send... NOT guaranteed.

In an emergency, I want transmission verification.

I suspect buying the ham gear, then working on the license is probably the way to go...

FYI, we optimized the antenna so that the G* TX gain is about 6 dB more than the GPS RX gain. That's not a guarantee, but it makes for a pretty good bet. We know there are people walking around today that would've been dirt without their devices.

That said, I don't own one yet... :rolleyes:

#9 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:25 PM

Kyle are you using a hardwired set up or a hand held? How effective is it?

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#10 CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:46 PM

Mine is hardwired. I (thankfully) haven't really had to use it in the Dodge a whole lot, but it works well in the Jeep. It is a night and day difference vs. CB for clarity and range. Most people I have talked to shy away from the hand helds for vehicle use due to the reduced range. Some have setup antenna systems on the vehicle to use with the handheld radio though. For me, that becomes awfully cumbersome for day to day communication, but should work well for emergency purposes.

Kyle
1984 Jeep $crambler - Lifted/Locked on 35s/Caged/RTT Rack/Etc... 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 6spd Diesel - Gauges/CB/2M Radio/Lorenz Bilstein 5100 Suspension with DP Leaf Springs/Carli Long Travel Airbags 2002 Hawk FWC - With all the goodies to keep the wife a "happy camper" "Paved Roads... Another example of wasteful government spending."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users