212 replies to this topic

#191 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:10 AM

We got the 4am phone call on Tuesday morning.  

I was already awake, listening to a particularly strong gust strike the forest.

A tree had come down on Susan's parents house, where her daughter and grand-daughter reside.  The young family grabbed their basics and retreated next door, smelling gas.  Susan took the call and told me the propane tank had been knocked off it's moorings.  I was still under the covers and said, "Call the fire department."  And so the day began.

Trees were down across the roads getting there, and we had to take a backroad, which involved fording a stream.

The good news is we have had the tree crew clear the mess, and the insurance company has dried in the building.

A temporary propane tank was being set today.  

We've had 10" of rain in five days.  It's a big year with double our YTD rainfall.   

Looking back to 1964 they had 22" of rain in five days, causing the Lower Hell Hole Dam failure.

Edited by Lighthawk, 10 February 2017 - 06:19 AM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#192 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:10 PM

Andy, I'm sorry to hear about the damage, but glad that no one was hurt.

I am haunted by waters

#193 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:59 PM

Lighthawk, an event like this sure shapes up your day, doesn't it? Wow. Glad no one was hurt and we  hope that getting the home safe and habitable goes well.

Somewhere around here I have an old copy of the usgs report on the failure of the coffer dam on the Rubicon River during construction of PCWA's Hell Hole dam. Quite an event and the scars are still so evident.

It would be nice to see the sun for several days in a roll.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#194 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 10 February 2017 - 03:14 PM

Andy, sorry to hear about the storm damage. Glad things are getting worked out.

We are having sunshine and temps in the 40°s here today. No weather to speak of. What a strange winter. I hope things settle down for you guys soon.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#195 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:59 PM

Regards to the winter 63/64. As we traveled around Ca and Or over the years we have come across places where there are sighs of high water marks. Some I remember are US 101 south of Eureka where the Ell river flooded above the road,15' at least above the road way.

Navarro river a few miles east of Ca.1 where the water was at least 12' above the road.You can see silt marks on the redwoods.

The picnic area at Jedediah Smith CG on the Smith river east of Crescent City also silt marks  very high on the Redwoods.

Then there's the visitors stop on the Umpqua river at Glide ,where the Colliding Rivers View Point is.

This series of storms lasted I think over a week and effected most of the west coast.

Mommy nature sure can pack a punch sometimes.

Glad all are safe at the Lighthawks.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#196 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:59 PM

Andy, I'm sorry to hear about the damage, but glad that no one was hurt.

x2 on that!

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#197 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:21 PM

Glad they're okay. Some amazing stuff going on. In what seems to me an amazing feat they cleared the terrain in front of the emergency spillway of trees and brush and even poured concrete on portions. Just in time it seems.

http://www.sfgate.co...st-10925628.php

Then this http://www.kcra.com/...k-grove/8729535

Its certainly been an interesting weather year so far.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#198 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 11 February 2017 - 10:49 PM

Thanks Craig for posting the links.

Very interesting.

Hope the 5/6 day break in rain will help .

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#199 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:39 PM

It's snowing again---the seemingly never ending rain has just turned to snow! I just had to run to the wood shed for another load! They say another week of this ---but we are supposed to be out of the drought now with a chance that the rain/snow will end it down south too, that's good! Mud, snow , rain, me thinks lot's of people getting stuck and tearing up the back country roads this spring (already seeing rigs covered with mud every weekend)-that's bad. The BLM/FS have issued a warning about not using some of the roads ( unless you really need too)  up here in NE Ca/NW Nevada until after they dry out. People will just ignore those warnings and the roads and nature will suffer!  Another year of rutted roads, tall grass, snakes, more cheat grass and lot's of fires. Time for a drink :D !

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#200 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 829 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:59 PM

Wind gust over 70mph in Salinas today. My backyard fence is down on three side and it's a real mess out there. Not fit for man or beast

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users