• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 SportE

SportE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:26 PM

We are having last minute changes to our Christmas plans and now get to spend the Christmas week camping and looking for snow.  Plans are coming together for a trip in our Four Wheel Camper from our Bay Area home to Bend, OR with a couple days stop at Mt. Lassen.  

I know that there is some overnight RV/camper parking available at Mt Bachelor and was wondering if anyone could tell me if overnight camping was allowed at the sno parks?  We have a 4-year-old and I am not sure I want to stay at a commercial ski resort that only has bathroom access during business hours.

Thank you!!

Emily

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:35 PM

That's a great question, and though I live in Bend and have used Sno Parks for decades...I don't know if it's legal to camp overnight.  :huh:

I know it's OK to park there overnight -- that's where you'd park if you're going to ski in and snow camp in the backcountry.  At least, I've done that without problem over the years.

The official ODOT pages for sno parks don't give a clue, as you probably found out already.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 SportE

SportE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:40 PM

Of course, Mark since you already live in a perfect place you don't need know how to visit!  I should probably just call the ranger station and ask.

It took a while to figure out but we did determine you can camp in CA sno parks with a permit as long there isn't a sign specifically prohibiting it.  I am really hoping it is the same in OR.

#4 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:42 PM

Here's a link to the ODOT Contact page if you don't already have it...through which you can, eventually, probably, find an official answer.

Please post here what you find out, if others haven't already.

Good luck. :)

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:17 PM

Here's what our California Sno Park info states -

Parking is on a first-come, first-served basis at all SNO-PARK sites. No refunds are issued if your favorite SNO-PARK is full. Park and drive carefully within SNO-PARK sites. Watch for pedestrians. Overnight parking, including in-vehicle camping is allowed except where noted or signed at SNO-PARK sites. Tent camping or sleeping outside a vehicle in the parking area is prohibited at all SNO-PARK sites. Do not build campfires on paved areas. Do not litter SNO-PARK sites. Trash containers may not be provided, pack out your own refuse.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:55 PM

Don't know if it is still done,but a Sno Park pass from either Ca. or Or. were good in both states.

Actually the Oregon pass was cheaper.

Years ago when we had the cabin and used the Sno Parks we would get an annual pass.

Worked out better and less expensive.Plus you didn't have to hunt around to find a place to but one.

Thanks for the info Ski.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:00 PM

Don't know if it is still done,but a Sno Park pass from either Ca. or Or. were good in both states.

...Frank

Yes, it's still true -- CA permit good in Oregon.

Annual Sno-Park Permit: $25, 3-Day (consecutive) Sno-Park Permit: $9, ​ Daily Sno-Park Permit​ $4​

Fees found on the main Sno-Park page.

Here's the Oregon Sno-Park Brochure:

Attached File  Oregon Sno-Park Brochure.pdf   1.78MB   699 downloads

But no mention of camping in these sources, unless I missed it.

#8 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:29 PM

AFAIK you can RV camp at Oregon Sno-Parks. To tent camp you have to be a couple of hundred feet from the lot. When parked during storms you have to be alert not to get snowed or plowed in. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#9 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:05 AM

AFAIK you can RV camp at Oregon Sno-Parks. To tent camp you have to be a couple of hundred feet from the lot. When parked during storms you have to be alert not to get snowed or plowed in. 

Another simple fact is that the out house door may be blocked closed from plowed and frozen snow.

One might check the Hot Springs motel / campground not too far south of Bend which may well be on your route.......can't remember the name but Google can....maybe Belknap springs....quite close to several Sno Parks.

DavidGraves

#10 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:16 AM

Sno-Parks in Oregon that I've been to are heavily used in winter, by XC-skiers and/or snowmobilers, depending on the location -- that's what they're for.  Sometimes dozens of vehicles are parked at popular ones.  Outhouses have always been open and maintained in my experience -- it would be an unholy mess if they weren't! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users