How can I test the charging system?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cabezon23

cabezon23

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:57 AM

My camper battery is now completely dead for the second time.

Before leaving for a long weekend I charged the battery completely.

Left on Saturday and drove about 5 hours (camper connected to the truck). We camped for two days (laguna Bacalar, Quintana Roo, Mexico ;) without any problems. Fridge is on gas as soon as we stop. Drove again for about 4 hours, during the evening and early night the lights went dim and then completely out.

I had a similar problem back in Florida and thought the battery was the problem. I took it to Interstate to have a look at it (it was about 5 months old). They checked and recharged it and told me that it was ok.

How can I start searching for the problem?

I installed a solar panel a few weeks ago and the controller is indicating a charging current.

My knowledge about electricity is basic, I know how to use a basic tester. If it lights up, there is current. If sparks fly, there is a lot of current. If sparks fly and smoke comes out, then there is too much current.:D

Any suggestions, please let me know.
03 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4, D Cab, Air-Lift, Schroth Safety Harness, Recaro Seat (finally) on board laptop w GPS, ARB Front Bumper, Manual Hubs.

#2 CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:34 AM

Did the problem start when you installed your Solar panels/Controller? If so, is the controller malfunctioning and drawing current at night rather than disconnecting after the sun has gone down enough for the panels to no longer provide the minimum threshold of power to the controller?

If the controller isn't the culprit, I would methodically disconnect your powered devices (maybe switch them off at the circuit breaker). You more than likely have a short somewhere that is drawing the battery down and need to isolate it to locate and repair.

Good luck... I HATE doing electrical troubleshooting!
1984 Jeep $crambler - Lifted/Locked on 35s/Caged/RTT Rack/Etc... 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 6spd Diesel - Gauges/CB/2M Radio/Lorenz Bilstein 5100 Suspension with DP Leaf Springs/Carli Long Travel Airbags 2002 Hawk FWC - With all the goodies to keep the wife a "happy camper" "Paved Roads... Another example of wasteful government spending."

#3 cabezon23

cabezon23

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:03 PM

Thank you very much CJ8Rockcrawler,

I guess I will try this approach. The strange thing is that the battery was almost empty after we drove about 4 hours.

Let's see if I get the time during the week to fiddle with this.
03 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4, D Cab, Air-Lift, Schroth Safety Harness, Recaro Seat (finally) on board laptop w GPS, ARB Front Bumper, Manual Hubs.

#4 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:02 PM

Hey Cabezon23

the charging / recharging system is usually pretty simple to troubleshoot.

It will take a few minutes, but it is usually easy if you have a basic 12v tester.

First: check the wire connections in your engine compartment where they usually connect to your truck battery. Make sure they are not loose or corroded. White wire is "hot". Black wire is the "ground".

Second: Take the 12v tester and check the 2nd post on the thermal breaker fuse on the fire wall of the engine compartment. It should test "hot" (light up your 12v tester) on both sides / both terminals of the fuse.

Third: Unplug the camper plug in your truck bed and test the actual plug in your truck bed to see if it "hot". If you have the black 3 prong plug (Marinco) hole / slot # 2 is usually going to be the "hot" wire coming in from your trucks' battery. But try them all just to make sure.

If steps 1 - 3 are all working and you have power, next go inside the camper and check the wire coming in from the truck bed plug to your aux. battery or to the battery separator in the camper (if equipped). This will tell you if the outside camper plug connection is good or not.

If you have a battery separator and you have power to the wire coming into the camper, then start your truck up and make sure you have power on the other side of the battery separator. The separator should open up and allow power to flow to the aux. camper battery for recharging purposes.

If you have any "in line" fuses, check those to make sure they are not burnt.

Maybe check the connections on the aux. camper battery too.

hope this gets you a good start on figuring it out

feel free to call our service dept. anytime as well

they might be able to give you other tips & tricks

FWC service dept. 800-242-1442

ask for Chicali (Chee'-Call'-E)

=====================================================

My camper battery is now completely dead for the second time.

How can I start searching for the problem?

I installed a solar panel a few weeks ago and the controller is indicating a charging current.

My knowledge about electricity is basic, I know how to use a basic tester. If it lights up, there is current. If sparks fly, there is a lot of current. If sparks fly and smoke comes out, then there is too much current.:D

Attached Thumbnails

• thermal BREAKER NEW (LABLED).jpg
  • In-Line Fuses.jpg
  • Battery Separator 2.JPG
  • PLUG (MALE).JPG
  • Plug (new female).jpg

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#5 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:30 PM

Just curious, did you ever get your battery charging problem solved? Sounds like you got some good testing advise. Hope it all worked out for you...:D

#6 cabezon23

cabezon23

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:05 PM

Hi Captain,

I was a little too busy the last few weeks, so I couldn't get to follow all the steps recommended by Stan.

But I changed the battery before leaving last Friday for a long weekend. The solar panel kept the battery fully charged, so I don't really know if the original battery was the problem or not.

Next weekend I should be able to go step by step through the system and see where the problem was.

I'll keep you posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users