• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#11 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 829 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:18 AM

I'm in this camp. Although I agree with OutbacKamper's comments, we use action packers and they work well for us. They fit in our camper perfectly. The shape actually works to our advantage as we stuff long items along side them in the space left near the floor. Having said that, it's always interesting to see new ideas.

I agree- the schlepping of boxes is a pain and I endorse your approach. We usually don't have so many boxes in the camper, most times just one large and one small one. If we didn't have our dog traveling in the back seat area, we would use that area and not have to move them to get in the camper. They usually come out when we camp in any event since we do our cooking and living mostly outside. They get stored in the truck at night.

Action Lockers are a nice product, but keep in mind they don't stack, which is why I no longer use them. The Plano storage trunks are stackable, but are a little larger. Because they have straight sides they hold quite a bit more.

My experience so far, and I also try to have nothing on the camper floor except my Torklift scissor steps.

When we ordered our Panther from ATC we had it constructed w/o any built-ins to maximize stowage capacity. Our Action Packers are stowed under the galley counter top and are therefore never "in the way" for camper  access. One packer holds our stove and all of our pots & pans. The other is used for dry goods storage.

Action Packer Stowage.JPG

Edited by Tuff Guy 62, 03 January 2017 - 03:20 AM.

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#12 COBlue

COBlue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:28 AM

I use Rubbermaid Roughneck totes- the lid has no holes so water stays out, and they remain flexible in below freezing temps so they don't crack, and they nest or stack well.

I also have the collapsible crates, but they are not nearly as durable and mostly limited to indoor use.

The Plano boxes look sturdy enough to step or stand on; I'll be checking them out.

#13 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,600 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:14 PM

No luck in finding the Clever Crates at our Wilsonville Costco. I guess a trip north is in order ;) .

I am haunted by waters

#14 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:43 PM

No luck in finding the Clever Crates at our Wilsonville Costco. I guess a trip north is in order ;) .

I've seen places that sell them online, I'm on my iPad right now, so searching is a pain.

Just so you know, I bought one clever crate first to make sure I liked them. I absolutely love it so I bought two more. I think they are wonderful. Really strong for something that collapses. I've had them stuffed and overflowing with firewood numerous times and then my GF and I will carry them with one hand each on the crate 1/4 mile or so into picnic sites etc. and they hold up extremely well.
I'm not sure what your expectations are, but I'm impressed.
I wouldn't use them for hunters traps, tire chains etc. an Action Packer or Plano is more suited for heavy metal and abuse.

One other thing that I have noticed about the clever crate is the bottom of the crate is extremely grippy on carpet, I think it has a honeycomb design. It doesn't slide or move around much in the back of the camper, in fact it seems to stick in place. I like this. That being said an Action Packer slides with ease, which others may like if they slide heavy totes full of gear into place.

On another note, the Clever Crates are thin enough when collapsed to store on the kitchen counter with the FWC top down. I thought this was pretty cool, given I never use that space. I usually flip one upside down and put it on top of the stove. The lip of the crate keeps it from falling off the stove.

#15 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:26 PM

Like COBlue, we have used Rubbermaid Roughneck containers for many years, and we use them for the reasons he mentions.  Two additional benefits are that they are available in many different colors (we put dry foods in one color, emergency gear in a different color, etc.) and they only cost $6.00 or $7.00.  Also, theyd last forever.  No sexism intended here, but I recently picked up a pink one at a yard sale which I gave to my wife for her personal clothing and other female items.   

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#16 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:42 PM

I just found a photo of the Rubbermaid system we use in our Jeep.

Attached Thumbnails

• Packed Jeep.jpg

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#17 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:33 PM

Yet another use for the Rubbermaid Roughnecks :)

Attached Thumbnails

• Back Country Kitchen.jpg

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#18 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:46 AM

Rubbermaid roughnecks certainly serve our needs.

We especially like the fact there are whole and half sizes.

Further, one can interlock stack them in a manner across front of the camper and they stay put even off road.

The generally small size is easy to hoist to the upper bunk.

They seem the perfect size for our needs.

Thinking warm Baja thoughts on the NorthOregon Coast

DavidGraves

#19 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKelowna, BC, Canada

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:21 AM

I happened to be at my local Costco today and they had a skid of Clever Crates for $9.99 CDN each (about $7.50 USD). I decided to grab 3, since I can always return them but once they are sold out, Costco has a habit of discontinuing items. I will post a more detailed review/comparison at another time of the Clever Crate, Action Packer, Plano Trunk and Rubbermaid Roughneck. One thing that I noticed right away is that the Clever Crate and Plano Trunk are very similar in size, in fact the Plano will stack on top of the Clever Crate when collapsed. Also the Clever Crates are made in Luxembourg, which I found surprising.

#20 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,600 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:33 AM

I happened to be at my local Costco today and they had a skid of Clever Crates for $9.99 CDN each (about $7.50 USD). I decided to grab 3, since I can always return them but once they are sold out, Costco has a habit of discontinuing items. I will post a more detailed review/comparison at another time of the Clever Crate, Action Packer, Plano Trunk and Rubbermaid Roughneck. One thing that I noticed right away is that the Clever Crate and Plano Trunk are very similar in size, in fact the Plano will stack on top of the Clever Crate when collapsed. Also the Clever Crates are made in Luxembourg, which I found surprising.

They're in stock here in Oregon, too.

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users