1 reply to this topic

#1 pawleyk

pawleyk

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • LocationReno Nevada

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:16 AM

Hey guys,

I'm really sorry if this info is on here somewhere. I couldn't find what I was looking for.

I'd like to roof-mount a solar panel to our Grandby. Probably up near the front, passenger corner. That will give us the most room, allow me to access it (from the hood of the truck) and is pretty close to the pre-installed roof plug.

All the mounting examples and instructions I could find were for the slightly older campers without the one-piece roof. Typically those posts described using the existing screw holes to mount brackets for the solar panels, but we don't have any screws..

I'm just wondering what other's have done or how FWC does it on the newer one-piece campers. We have a portable 90w setup that works great, but as we travel we're starting to realize the drawbacks of that system.

Thanks!

IMG_20170118_164952.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/kp.pawley/

A farm boy and a Chevy truck take a long drive.

KI7AMV

#2 pawleyk

pawleyk

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • LocationReno Nevada

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:15 PM

Ok,

So I just screwed into the camper roof where the supports were. It was obvious where the structure underneath was as the roof itself bowed slightly.

I used self tapping/self drilling sheet metal screws, but larger ones. About 5/16" by 1" long. 

1.5" aluminum angle accross the roof (and the supports). I pre-drilled all the holes and sealed each one with silicone. 

Funny how I was squeamish about drilling holes in this thing at first.

Now I get itchy if I haven't broken out the drill in a week or so.

So far so good, she hasn't come off yet. 

The extra 300w is nice. I'm not sure if we'll keep the 90w portable. I was planning to ditch it, but heavy work days with both laptops and the fridge running on a hot day make me want to keep the extra capacity.

Panel.jpg

Edited by pawleyk, 06 April 2017 - 11:31 PM.

https://www.instagram.com/kp.pawley/

A farm boy and a Chevy truck take a long drive.

KI7AMV

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users