• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#31 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:08 PM

The siding went very well I think. I will say I would have never tackled this job if my son wasn't in a business with access to shears, brakes, milling machine etc. Plus access to aluminum materials. I got the 4 sheets of 4x10 .032 aluminum for $288.00, The VHB tape was about $240.00. We sheared the sheets at my son's shop. Then I hung them, marked the cut outs, and did them with an air cutter. That went very fast. Next was VHB tape. Instead of the expensive VHB tape at the windows and door, I used the butyl tape under the aluminum as it was getting screwed down there anyhow. I used all of 46 yards of VHB with exception to about a foot. Today my brother and I cut and fit all the rigid 1" Rmax insulation in the walls, and also mounted the jack brackets temporarily.  I'm going to remove them so I can caulk under them and the screw holes. I have the aluminum frame for the old door. The wood core was rotten. I will narrow the frame to fit the opening, then use aluminum on the outside, and paneling on the inside. My original plan was to go on to the interior once the skin was on and it was insulated. I may tackle the roof next. That needs the exterior gone over and painted. Then the Fantastic fan, lights and headliner. After that, the lift panels, and canvas. Once that is completed but not installed, it's back to the interior. The pictures may look a little funky as the plastic protective coating on the aluminum is pulled away in some pictures.

Attached Thumbnails

• front view.jpg
  • side view.jpg
  • back view.jpg

Edited by shellback, 24 April 2017 - 07:10 PM.

#32 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:22 PM

Great progress! I'm impressed!

I am haunted by waters

#33 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:54 PM

all I can say is... wow.   

#34 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:37 PM

Making more progress. The roof took a flight off my sawhorses in the wind and did some damage. Finally got it straightened, then had to repair where a few screw holes spider cracked the aluminum roof. I made some aluminum plates up to cover the spider cracks, then epoxied and screwed them to the roof. Got 2 coats of paint on the roof and being 38 y/o, it does look a little rough, but it will be water tight for sure!. In between paint coats I've been doing the trim along the body edges.Just have the front  to do. Headliner material arrived today, next step is some mounting plates on the inside for the lights, wiring and insulation so I can get the headliner done. No new pictures, the shop is jammed with my boat, the camper body and the roof on sawhorses. The vinyl materials for the pop up sides is also on the way. After the headliner is done, I may move on to sewing the vinyl before building the roof panels.

#35 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:57 AM

Shellback,

Keep up the good work, you're making plenty of progress. Unfortunately set backs happen, but just keep looking forward. Determination wins, and gets the job done, especially on a rebuild such as yours. Lots of time, focus, and elbow grease keeps the momentum going. Good luck, bud...

Poky

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

#36 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:34 PM

Poky. Your thread has been a go to for most of my work. Before I start a new phase, I look up your thread and study it. It's been invaluable to me!  I have 2 things going against me, One, I was a heavy equipment operator, so not real experienced in detailed craftsmanship. Two, I'm 69 years old!  Fortunately  I have one great thing going for me, I'm retired! So time is no restraint. As the project goes along, I've noticed that my mistakes and scrap pile is getting smaller. LOL!  Sending you a PM

Edited by shellback, 05 May 2017 - 12:37 PM.

#37 dweb

dweb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:59 AM

I put the aluminum panels on today, hope to get pictures up tomorrow. I used the 4991 tape as there were a lot of irregularities with the welds and some studs not even with each other. Didn't know about the primer. With the windows, door, jack brackets and trim, there's not much surface area that is mechanically fastened. The aluminum cost me $288.00, and the tape was $240.00 ! 

What width of tape did you use?  Thanks!

#38 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:53 PM

What width of tape did you use?  Thanks!

Sent a PM on another thread.

#39 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:32 PM

Still plugging along. Got the roof painted, wired, insulated and the headliner done. Didn't get any pictures before I stacked it against the wall. Got the edge and corner trim made and installed. Today I put some carpet on the wing and vinyl on the floor in preparation of doing the paneling and framing out for the couch/bed on the right side. Hinges for the lift panels are coming tomorrow. Hoping to get some composite material for the panels from my son. I'm going to make a couple up with some cheap paneling first. I need to be sure they will fold properly before making them with the composite.  

Attached Thumbnails

• trim 1.jpg
  • vinyl floor.jpg
  • trim 2.jpg

#40 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:00 PM

I've been beating myself up on trying to build my door. The old one was a mess do to previous repairs. I narrowed the frame and am building the door to suit it. Unfortunately the aluminum extrusions for it are mess. The previous owner must have driven 2x4 framing into the 1.25 channel. I'm at the point that I know I'll never get it to look or work properly. I put a want to buy up for a door on the site. In the mean time I guess I'll just have to try and make it work no matter how it looks. If I can't find the original extrusions, next winter I'll have to try and build a door from scratch. I'm heading to Canada for a fishing trip in a week. I'd like to put this door problem behind me before I leave, then come back and get a fresh start. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users