#1 Rafter C

Rafter C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley, CA

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:51 AM

For a few years, I've had a package of the pictured material (Ultra Touch Radiant Barrier) laying around my shop. I think I bought it to use as replacement floor liner for my 4runner, then went another direction. Anyway, after reading all about Reflectix on the boards here, I went to HD to check it out. Kinda cool stuff, and I'll probably use some for compartment lining, but really, it strikes me as fancy bubble wrap. This Ultra Touch is 1/2" thick cotton "jute", covered with a foil barrier on one side.

I decided to use it as an Arctic liner, so I cut the 4' x 6' piece I had in half, taped the edges with aluminum foil ducting tape (Nashua), and put a couple strips of 2" heavy duty stick on Velcro to attach it to the existing Velcro on the inside of my soft sides. It's pretty much an even 24" vertical measurement, so cutting it half created no waste material. Looks like it should work well, with the jute toward the wall, and the foil toward the living space, it should do a good job of insulating out the cold transfer through the soft side, and reflect any heat generated inside the camper. 

After, I made the first panel, I realized I should have "ripped" the piece in the 6' direction, and then I would've had two 2' x 6' panels, which would've completely covered once side wall of my Cougar camper. So.... I decided to get some more material, and use the stuff I had as a mattress insulator/condensation inhibitor, and I ordered a new roll of the same stuff only its 4' x 24' long, which means I can make 4 panels that will cover both walls, and can be stored under the mattress when not in use, and provide me with a little more padding. 

I've made no provision for window use because my thinking is if I need the liner, I don't need the windows open. I'm of the the minimalist mentality, having made the move to this camper from a Snug Top shell, so the functionality of this works well for me.

Anyway, an FYI for anyone interested....

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4188.JPG
  • IMG_4196.JPG

Edited by wcorbett, 07 February 2017 - 04:02 AM.

'08 Dodge 3500, '11 ATC Cougar

Build Thread: http://www.wanderthe...r-build-thread/

Blog: https://raftercexplo...s.wordpress.com

#2 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:31 PM

Nice!

I use a similar setup during winter.

It makes a huge difference on the windows both in terms of retained heat inside the camper and blocking cold air drafts.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#3 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:56 PM

Great concept, I hope it works well for you.  The cotton jute just might offer a bonus absorbent effect on any condensation that could occur between the foil barrier and the camper's vinyl on cool moist nights.  Let us know what you experience with it.

Rico

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#4 Rafter C

Rafter C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley, CA

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:04 AM

Finished the final product today. 4 panels, 80" x 24", Velcro pieces along the top attached to the Velcro inside the canvas sides. The ends of each panel wrap around the corners, and tuck in behind the lift panels. Fully seals the canvas area, The panels store under the mattress, and provide another 3/4" of padded and insulation. Seems like they should work well, and with roofs vents open a bit, condensation should be minimal.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4203.JPG
  • IMG_4204.JPG
  • IMG_4205.JPG
  • IMG_4206.JPG
  • IMG_4207.JPG

'08 Dodge 3500, '11 ATC Cougar

Build Thread: http://www.wanderthe...r-build-thread/

Blog: https://raftercexplo...s.wordpress.com

#5 BillM

BillM

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationReno

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:35 AM

I would worry about the cotton material absorbing moisture and molding.  Make sure you remove the material and thoroughly dry it after a trip so that that doesn't happen.  One of the things I like about my reflectix Articpac is that it cannot absorb moisture.

Billm

2008 Frontier with a 2010 Eagle shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users