• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#11 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:01 AM

When you post a new topic, look in the upper right hand corner of the dialog box for Poll and click on manage poll for setting it up.

Thanks Ski.  That is wonderful to know.  Honestly I don't think I've seen that feature used.  I love polls  :)

Once a few members start using it, others may catch on to the feature.

#12 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:22 PM

As an engineer, I find I usually have to draw a diagram to explain my answer as well. My wife's eyes roll when i go for the tablet.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#13 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,355 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:36 PM

The Lady loves to hear my explanations of how things work because she figures I'm making about 75% of it up. The story is everything, thus the long posts on internet forums...................or impressing folks with everything you think you know. 

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#14 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:09 PM

As an engineer, I find I usually have to draw a diagram to explain my answer as well. My wife's eyes roll when i go for the tablet.

Mine too (but I still do it).  It's nice to know I'm not alone.

Sounds like we have a wonderful wives (they put up with us). 

or impressing folks with everything you think you know. 

Sometimes I wonder if this isn't part of it.  Wonderful for engineering type guys as we typically love to absorb every tidbit of information we can in life.  On the other hand some people just want to seal their roof so they can take their family camping that weekend.  They may have read through the forums for a couple hours already and couldn't come up with a straight answer, thus they posted.

Ski, I'm glad your lady loves to listen to your stories.  I can't get mine to put her iPad down long enough to listen (to the extended version).  She tries, it's just not in her nature.

Edited by Bill D, 16 February 2017 - 06:12 PM.

#15 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:11 PM

1st a definition: Engineers design things. Technicians makes these designs work in the real world.

I'm a tech. We can be windier than engineers!

I can give you a short answer.(Buy you a fish).

Or I can try to explain the slightly bigger picture. So you can answer it for yourself. (teach you to fish).

#16 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:08 PM

The answer is always 42 when you condense it down to it's most basic.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#17 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:03 PM

The hidden "assumption" in the OP is that there is only one answer when actually there are many answers because:

- Many questions lack background details, like asking what kind of truck to get without saying where you will travel or what is your budget or how many passangers.

- Many questions do not provide priorities and so each different answer reflects the priorities of the author, answers have different advantages and disadvantages.

- Each answer has a different factual basis based on the experience and knowledge of the author.  This may sound like the infamous "alternate facts" but the nuance is an individuals experience is a fact.  Only by others repeating the experience and together reaching a consensus does fact become a "scientific fact".  This higher standard rarely occurs on internet forums.

I prefer multiple different answers and then think of the pros and cons of each and then what are my priorities (camera weight versus sensor size versus optical zoom...).

Most people think there is only one answer and that is true for that person since only they know their priorities.  But that answer may not be correct for any other.

I post long answers.

I am an Engineer.

My wife is an Engineer.

All three of my children are Engineers.

No eye rolling. 

Edited by iowahiker, 19 February 2017 - 02:57 AM.

#18 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:59 AM

Iowahiker
Hi hope its ok , but I have to ask. Are you all different engineer type's.:)

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#19 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:55 AM

Russ

ps WD 40 is not a lubricant it is a water dispersant, and only ruined what it was used on.

;)

Russ,

duct_tape.jpg

From WD 40's website

"if it moves and shouldn't, use Duct Tape

if it doesn't move and should, use WD40

A QUESTION OF LUBRICATION

Myth: WD-40® Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40® stands for Water Displacement, WD-40® Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.

xxxxxxxxTape and WD-40®. If it moves and shouldn’t, use Duct Tape, if it doesn’t move and should, use WD-40®.”

#20 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,980 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:11 AM

The answer is always 42 when you condense it down to it's most basic.

yes it is Zaphod

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users