21 replies to this topic

#11 Kylekai

Kylekai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:15 AM

Thank you for your interest in the The Ultimate US Public Campground Project iPhone app. I am the app developer.

It is only $3.99:  https://itunes.apple...d698323700?mt=8

As for offline maps, it deals with that in several ways:

1. You can download almost any National Park Service PDF map for free within the app.  These maps work offline and online.

2. There is a map caching functionality built into the app.  It's not ideal, but if you use Open Street Maps you can cache the maps for offline work.

Enjoy!

#12 doublebanzai

doublebanzai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:41 PM

i'm new to this --- what IS the best way to find dispersed camping sites??? some of these web sites seem pretty useful. Are the web sites about the best way to locate sites? i can find CG's on various maps - even atlases, but for finding areas with a variety of sites, haven't figured out the best way to do that.

asking at various parks and things - hasn't really panned out. no one seems to really know any places, except of course for established camp grounds....... 

the other options involve driving around endlessly........ that's always been frustrating............

#13 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:52 PM

I think the electronic is all well and good but does anyone have a recommendation for a good old fashioned print atlas that shows national forest campgrounds? The AAA maps only show Woodalls recommended campgrounds. I used to have an atlas which showed the National Forest Campgrounds but can't remember the name or publisher. 

#14 Kylekai

Kylekai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:18 PM

My Benchmark maps show national forest campgrounds: https://www.benchmarkmaps.com

#15 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:52 PM

I've driven around allot in new to me places since I retired twelve years ago and i use allot of different map sources to find those places to camp. I always have the right bench mark state atlas, my trusty old garmin gps and before I head out, I always load up on BLM, FS and other gov't (both fed and state) maps of the area(s) I plan to drive through or visit.  This site also is a world of info and I always check in here for the latest dope on the area(s) I am headed to! Also, having a pop-up makes following one of those interesting sounding  road signs allot more fun than before. Follow your nose ;) and enjoy the world.

You can never have enough maps and for me planning a trip is almost as much fun as doing it. More help-- if you see that government guy or gal when you are out and about  "always ask them" what the local story is and if you think about it before you head out "give a ring" to what ever agency runs the area you are headed for. Just remember, while it is their job to answer your questions, be nice and you will be surprised how much more  info they have and how that  a friendly voice will make their day too!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 21 May 2017 - 08:55 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#16 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:09 AM

You can never have enough maps and for me planning a trip is almost as much fun as doing it.

Smoke

Make your plans when it's cold outside
And the north winds they do blow
For half the joy of the trip my boy
Is setting your traps to go

Albert Bigelow Paine - paraphrased (The Tent Dwellers, 1908)

I am haunted by waters

#17 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:24 AM

Make your plans when it's cold outside
And the north winds they do blow
For half the joy of the trip my boy
Is setting your traps to go

Albert Bigelow Paine - paraphrased (The Tent Dwellers, 1908)

Yep!!!

Smoke

#18 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:59 PM

I think the electronic is all well and good but does anyone have a recommendation for a good old fashioned print atlas that shows national forest campgrounds? The AAA maps only show Woodalls recommended campgrounds. I used to have an atlas which showed the National Forest Campgrounds but can't remember the name or publisher. 

Watershed Communications published a National Forest Campground and Recreation Guide under the Coleman name many years ago.  The book claims to be a complete guide to all 4,300+ NF CGs in America.  My very beat-up copy has a 2003 date but as far as I can tell Watershed Com has long been out of business.  I still use this as a reference to locate FS CGs before checking the forest sites on line for current info and better maps.   Some CGs no longer exist, have been temporarily closed or have been relocated but the old book is generally still accurate.   I guess things don't change very fast in the Forest Service.  

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#19 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:44 PM

The Army COE has a neat little book that lists all of their campgrounds in the US, complete with prices, maps and all that good data. Their main cg's are neat and clean and usually have hot showers and are located in many states that have few or none fs/blm cg's. Some of the CG's are managed with the Bureau of Rec and various state agencies and are easy to miss w/o the book. Ya can not go wrong for $16.00/8.00 a nite.

Smoke

#20 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:41 AM

Thanks. I'll look into the COE info. I've yet to try the dispersed camping but summer is coming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users