• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:21 AM

I've bought numerous tires from Discount over the years, and they've all served me very well.  My recent decision to shop for tires elsewhere in the future really has nothing to do with the quality of their products or anything with the way the company is managed, just more to do with the general character and mindset of the owners.  Bruce Halle is said to be the richest person in my state of AZ, with the political influence that comes with that distinction.  If considerations like this are important in your shopping selections, you might want to google for some additional details.  My intention is not to stir the pot, only to illuminate, so thanks in advance for not shooting the messenger, heh heh.

Rico

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#12 pikabike

pikabike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:42 AM

Both my husband and I have been buying tires from Discount Tire for a long time. Very happy with their service, and with the tires for my truck (BFG All Terrain KO).

#13 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:59 AM

Might want to check out Sears.

I just last week purchased four Cooper A/T3s, LT265/70R17E 121/118S.  Sears has an online sale going and you can have them shipped to a local Sears.  I took the online price into Sears and the salesman said he would match the price, looked into it more and did one better, buy 3 get 1 free.  Bottom line: I got 4 tires, mounted and balanced, TPMS rebuild, alignment, and sales tax for $735.  When I get my rebate back, I'll have 4 new tires on my truck for $164.27 each (Cooper has a $70 rebate on this tire and I get 1% back from my credit card).

Discount Tire quoted me $771.30 for four tires, mounted and balanced (TPMS maintenance $20/4, didn't ask about alignment).

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#14 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

Ive bought my last two sets from Discount on their ebay site.  Free shipping, great prices and the tires can be shipped to a store for mounting.

http://stores.ebay.c...5573.m570.l1523

#15 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:17 PM

I had a GREAT experience with Discount Tire.  So much so, that I wrote them the following letter of appreciation:

October 8, 2014

Shane Murray

Reno, NV 89521

Discount Tire

Corporate Headquarters

Customer Service

20225 N. Scottsdale Rd.

Scottsdale, AZ 85255

Dear Sir or Madam,

I wanted to take a few minutes to tell you about the EXCELLENT customer service I received from store manager Mike McFarland and Andrew Vargo, last week while purchasing a new set of Cooper AT/3’s at your store at 7450 S. Virginia St, Reno, NV.

I was upgrading to E-rated tires and I told Andrew that I wanted to take my old tires with me as they were still in very good condition. 

On October 4, 2014, I had my new tires installed and they loaded my old tires for me.  When I got home, I realized that two of my old tires were damaged beyond repair by the tire machine.  I called Andrew and I was fully expecting a lot of push back and hassle in getting the situation rectified, however, I was pleasantly surprised when Mike advised that he would give me four new tires of comparable quality, free of charge and no questions asked.

On October 7, 2014, I met with Andrew and he took care of the situation in less than 10 minutes.

I just want to let you know that you have two very excellent employees in Mike and Andrew and Discount Tire will have ALL of my future business.  Additionally, I will recommend Discount Tire to anyone who cares to listen to me in the future.

As evidenced by this letter, I believe in writing to the appropriate people whenever I receive either good or bad service and this letter was my privilege to write.  I’ll also post positive reviews of my experience with Discount Tire to all of my social media outlets.

Keep up the great work,

Shane Murray

Reno, NV

cc: Discount Tire, Nevada Regional Office

Discount Tire, Reno Store, 7450 S. Virginia, Reno, NV

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." —John Muir. http://aimlessroamer.blogspot.com/

#16 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:53 PM

Ditto on previous comments. Have bought at least ten sets of tires and have always been very satisfied. I generally
shop the internet for the best price and then have Discount Tires/American meet or beat the price which they have always done.

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#17 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:36 PM

I talked to my local guys, and although they can't beat the price that discount offers, they came down enough to keep me shopping local.

Thanks all for your feedback!!

I am haunted by waters

#18 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:06 PM

Discount Tire = America's Tire Company which is my local tire store.

I am as frugal as anyone and I haven't been able to beat their price on tires, for my former Ford Truck, my current Ford, my former Trailer, My former LandCruiser, my Former Jeep.  You get the idea.

When I first bought tires for the Landcruiser they encouraged me to buy the optional tire certificate. I told them how I used the vehicle and they said it didn't matter how I destroyed a tire, all I needed to do was buy a new certificate with the new, free tire if I destroyed one.

I bought five tires, they replaced eight more over the time I owned that truck, each replacement costing me the price of a tire certificate. I was surprised, but pleased, that through the years they kept honoring that warranty.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#19 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:33 PM

I will add my 2 cents about Americas Tire. I have now bought 5 or 6 sets of tires for various vehicles from them and I go back not for the price (which is always among the lowest) but for the service. Rotation at 5-6k miles...free. Stepson shreds a nearly new tire ( don't want to know how that happened)...replaced. Disappointed with the high wear/low mileage on a set of Michelins (2010 Suburban)...they checked their website and were able to get a discount that I then used on a different brand. They always check for mfg rebates and discounts. The only regret is that they don't do alignments like some other shops. I'm going to assume that I would receive the same service if I bought from Discount Tire.
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#20 EDR

EDR

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • LocationSE WA

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:48 AM

I've also bought tires from Discount Tire for many years and many locations. Never had an issue.
I always check their on line prices as well as Costco prices to get the best deal.
They've never failed to match another quote I've gotten from competitors.
2007 FWC Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users